imaginary halting problem was Re: [spam][crazy][spam] imaginary code resembling trained dissociation

Sun Jul 9 06:46:06 PDT 2023

wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

> The proof then shows, for any program f that might determine whether programs halt,
> that a "pathological" program g, called with some input, can pass its own source and its
> input to f and then specifically do the opposite of what f predicts g will do.

This means g() needs to have complete access to f(). The situation is
indeed similar to the dissociation problem. We could for example
assume that f() passes its source to g(), or we could debate this, or
consider it a specific pathological example.

f() can solve the sitution if it pathologically does not halt only
when it happens, preventing g() from halting, by moving the situation
of undecidability from the external system to the internal system, but
if the input data is the same this could break pure functionality.
Sounds fun to think about!

ok there’s a small space where it might be possible if f() can take
the entire execution system state as input: i.e. the state of the
turing machine. then it can determine whether it is the inner or outer
simulation, or in more complex scenarios otherwise engage in
meta-analysis of the shared system.