USA 2024 Elections Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 11:18:22 PST 2023

Now that the US Govt Pols have violently lunged to secure their own internal
Power Protests, they will again turn their needless abject violence, theft, and
Authoritarian quest for ever more Power back out against the population...

Here Are The Concessions McCarthy Had To Make For Speakership

https://twitter.com/EWachsberg/status/1611575308725153792
https://twitter.com/AccountableGOP/status/1611575073759961088
https://twitter.com/RepBoebert/status/1611616842623160321
https://www.theepochtimes.com/rep-andrew-ogles-reveals-what-concessions-were-made-in-battle-for-speaker-of-the-house_4968315.html
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3803315-mccarthy-concessions-to-win-speakership-raise-eyebrows/
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/HMAN-105/html/HMAN-105-pg640.htm
https://arrington.house.gov/uploadedfiles/1.pdf
https://thehill.com/latino/3767795-texas-house-republicans-release-border-security-plan/

After four grueling days and 15 votes, Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) is
finally Speaker of the House - but not without having made a pile of
concessions to a group of hard-line Republicans who think he'll be too
accommodating to uniparty interests.

The last vote came after a dramatic scene, where during the 14th vote
Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) threw a wrench in the gears - voting 'present,'
which left McCarthy just one vote short of victory.

McCarthy - who clearly thought he had a deal, stormed up to Gaetz and
exchanged words, during which a visibly angry Rep. Mike Rodgers bolted
towards Gaetz and had to be muzzled and restrained.

    Kevin McCarthy approaches Gaetz and Boebert because he needed 216
votes to win. pic.twitter.com/o6VBsbwVVV
    — The Republican Accountability Project (@AccountableGOP) January 7, 2023

    Rodgers lunged at Gaetz? pic.twitter.com/THHpZA4XjQ
    — Elizabeth Wachsberg (@EWachsberg) January 7, 2023

During the final, 15th ballot, enough holdouts voted 'present' to
bring the total required number of votes low enough for McCarthy to
finally win around midnight.

Here's what McCarthy had to give up for the votes, according to The
Epoch Times' Roger L. Simon, who interviewed first-year Congressman
Andrew Ogles (R-TN), who has yet to be sworn in;

I spoke with Ogles by phone the night of Jan. 6, 2023, before the roll
call vote during which, it was said, two of the remaining
rejectionists who couldn’t accept McCarthy personally would absent
themselves so that the magic number would be lowered and the new
Speaker could go over the top.

Apropos, Ogles informed me that what many had guessed was true. His
absence from voting in a previous round was also planned. He waited to
see that all was going according to plan before stepping forward to
flip his vote to McCarthy after the initial round.

For Ogles, the basis of all the negotiations was to establish the
rules of the game in Congress that had been altered over the years
beyond recognition. As he pointed out, the rules of a game almost
always determine the winner.

He shared with me a list of some of what has been roughly negotiated
to date. The devil, as always, is in the details.

    As has been reported, it will only take a single congressperson,
acting in what is known as a Jeffersonian Motion, to move to remove
the Speaker if he or she goes back on their word or policy agenda.

    A “Church” style committee will be convened to look into the
weaponization of the FBI and other government organizations
(presumably the CIA, the subject of the original Church Committee)
against the American people.

    Term limits will be put up for a vote.

    Bills presented to Congress will be single subject, not omnibus
with all the attendant earmarks, and there will be a 72-hour minimum
period to read them.

    The Texas Border Plan will be put before Congress. From The Hill:
“The four-pronged plan aims to ‘Complete Physical Border
Infrastructure,’ ‘Fix Border Enforcement Policies,’ ‘Enforce our Laws
in the Interior’ and ‘Target Cartels & Criminal Organizations.'”

    COVID mandates will be ended as will all funding for them,
including so-called “emergency funding.”

    Budget bills would stop the endless increases in the debt ceiling
and hold the Senate accountable for the same.

*  *  *

holdouts, said in a statement that the anti-McCarthy Reps. "changed
the way the government will be funded," and "changed the way
committees will be formed."

"We secured votes on term limits, the fair tax, the Texas Border Plan,
and so much more."

Bobert goes on to slam President Biden for calling the speakership
process 'embarrassing for Republicans.

"How sad is it that us governing as the founders intended looks
embarrassing to Democrats?" Bobert asked, adding "I'll tell you what's
embarrassing. 40-year high inflation is embarrassing. 5 million
illegals crossing our southern border is embarrassing/ Surrendering to
ISIS and fleeing Afghanistan is embarrassing. Having a president that
cant' finish his sentences is embarrassing."

    My statement on the historic victories House conservatives
secured. pic.twitter.com/O8rG1VHk0X
    — Rep. Lauren Boebert (@RepBoebert) January 7, 2023

"It’s safe to say that we believe there ought to be specific, concrete
limits on spending attached to a debt ceiling increase," said Rep.
Chip Roy (R-TX) on Thursday.

"There will be no clean debt ceiling increase, that’s for sure," said
Rep. Scott Perry (R-PA), another anti-McCarthy lawmaker who was
convinced to switch his vote due to the concessions.
Rep. Scott Perry (R-PA)

No word from Ogles on committee assignments or agreements, however
there are discussions on positions for members of the Freedom Caucus.

Also no word on whether the House will hold a different kind of Jan. 6
investigation, unless it's going to be part of the new "Church"
committee.

Meanwhile, The Hill notes that chairmanships on subcommittees are
still going to need to be earned.

    Another major concern for centrist Republicans throughout the
week’s marathon negotiations was the conservatives’ push to win more
subcommittee gavels for themselves — an idea that infuriated those
already in line for those seats.

    Bacon had called it “a non-starter,” particularly among the more
moderate Republicans who have worked their way up the ladder into
those seats.

    “If you’re talking about chairmanships and things like that,
they’re gonna have to still earn it,” Bacon said. “I call it
affirmative action for [the] smallest of the caucuses to put them in
leadership roles when they’ve not earned it. We believe in a
merit-based system on the GOP side.”

    Rep. Ann Wagner (R-Mo.), who has served in the House since 2013,
also highlighted the “seniority process” for chairmanships.

    “Everybody has to work their way through the seniority process and
earn positions on both committees and gavels and things of that
nature,” she said. -The Hill

"These concessions have been agreed to by our conference, and
ultimately I believe it’s going to lead to a more people-driven
legislative process," said Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA). "It’s
about restoring more power and decision making to the members."

Democrat Rep. Steny Hoyer of Maryland says McCarthy gave up too much.

"I think he gave away much more than I wish he’d given," he said,
adding "I think it does give to a small, willful faction of his
caucus, a negative faction of his caucus, a faction of his caucus that
has been almost uniformly obstructionist, more authority than they
ought to have."