[ot][personal] coreboot progress

Sat Feb 25 23:24:08 PST 2023

i’m (somewhat sadly) no longer presently working on my coreboot port
(although observing coding is getting easier and easier in some
places)
but yesterday i finally got spi flashing going which is great. i was
discouraged months ago when i failed to acquire and troubleshoot
working flash chips

this morning i’ve flashed a chip last night and am looking forward to
trying to POST the old board for the first time, which will mean
wiring it up with my dc power supply

https://matrix.to/#/!orFwLtOAmHWlvoSoQn%3Athe-apothecary.club/%24dKehdGijzBuNJX8XSbMNVhuKJXQkUAdWojxjXEPVf2E

i’ve been trying for a year or two to get a server board running
coreboot as my first foray into coreboot

[photo of half-disassembled flashing parts on a breadboard]

this is the last flasher i was using. i stalled when it turned out i
was using toasted spi chips (spi not pictured, socket is lpc), lots of
troubleshooting, contacted the manufacturer etc

[photo of arduino next to prototype shield with small wiring of
components on one end]

this is my finally today working arduino spi flasher. after the last
frustration with unsteady hands i bought a general purpose arduino
shield to wire it on. it’s finally flashing the pictured flash adapter
reliably, big celebration

the lpc isn’t wired yet obv

i make so many mistakes i actually patched the flasher firmware to add
commands to perform voltage tests for each wire, to verify it is
correctly wired, which really helps me troubleshoot. my patch is at
https://github.com/urjaman/frser-m328lpcspi/pull/2

[…] dissociative disorder and fervent self sabotage