Havana Syndrome, Long Live Brody.

Gunnar Larson g at xny.io
Sun Feb 12 12:46:07 PST 2023

LET CYPHERPUNKS EVERYWHERE KNOW BRODY LARSON HAS A SUPREME COURT DECISION
ON HAVANA SYNDROME:
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/havana-syndrome-part-2-how-a-dogs-brain-may-help-solve-the-mystery-of-canadian-diplomats-cuban-nightmare
.

LONG LIVE BRODY.

What a great dog.

------

Judge Robert Sweet rejected the argument, ruling, “This is force, and the
kind that could be used excessively.”

The de Blasio administration appealed the decision, but in 2018 the 2nd
Circuit affirmed it, forcefully rejecting the City’s argument that
subjecting people to dangerously loud sound isn’t a use of force. “Even
though sound waves are a novel method for deploying force,” the court wrote
in its opinion, “the effect of an LRAD’s area denial function is familiar:
pain and incapacitation.”

The 2nd Circuit also reaffirmed that just because there isn’t case law
governing a new technology for hurting people, that doesn’t give police a
blank check to use that technology however they want. “Novel technology,”
the court wrote, “does not entitle an officer to qualified immunity.”

Still unwilling to concede the point, the de Blasio administration
petitioned the U.S. Supreme Court in 2018 to overturn the lower courts’
rulings, but the court declined to hear the request.