networks of rootkits

Mon Feb 6 04:04:45 PST 2023

some time ago there was a conversation on this list where an idea
similar to compromising networks of systems was quickly dismissed from
a discussion by stating that nobody did that.

after some years of confused thought, i have realized this means the
speaker is protecting people who wish they were the only ones who did
it.

the cultures that result from such speech start fulfilling the
prophecy.  but it is unfortunately a change that is quite shocking,
where people can be severely taken advantage of by other people on
potential wide scales, as things develop.

the appropriate way to instil such change is to share morals severely
discouraging malicious cracking. this leaves space for benevolent
security work that protects people.

what we have now, on this list, is a complete absence of discussion of
actual security work. this supports harmful oppression. we need
discussion and exploration and understanding to prevent this harm.

in the meantime, the landscape has changed, but not necessarily as
significantly as one might expect.

what’s relevant is that we are likely all running systems built out of
these rootkits now, if we have been in communities where discussions
of such things is suppressed.