AnandTech: Kioxia's CD8P SSD Unveiled: Up to 30.72 TB, PCI 5.0 x4 Interface

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 22:27:58 PDT 2023

On 8/11/23, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> https://www.anandtech.com/show/19998/kioxias-cd8p-ssd-unveiled-up-to-3072-tb-pci-50-x4-interface
> 30 terabytes. A million times larger than the biggest I ever sold, in 1992.
> 31 years ago. Inventor of the SSD, 1980. 43 years ago.
> Jim Bell, SemiDisk Systems

Yours were RAM drives.

Today's RAM drives are still much faster than these FLASH drives.

Since you can't plug flash or spinning media into ram slots, nor
do motherboards have enough ram slots to reach sizes needed,
there is thus a market for a storage device that can saturate
the PCIe Gen5 x16 bus with iops and or xfer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

This more interesting unit used a Gen4 x16 bus...

https://www.anandtech.com/show/18769/apex-storage-x21-carries-21-m2-ssds-168-tb-of-nand-at-up-to-31-gbps

So build one to saturate the Gen5 x16 and make $$$.

If Flash can't hit that (especially latency and iops), then build it with RAM.