I Was Skeptical About Innovation Advice, So I Put It to the Test

Gunnar Larson g at xny.io
Sat Apr 29 09:41:56 PDT 2023

The most influential book ever written about how to innovate turns 70 this
year. It features no mentions of the word “innovate” and just one of
“innovation” — its author, advertising executive Alex F. Osborn of Buffalo,
New York, preferred “creativity” or “imagination.” It is also definitely of
another era: “In New York, Robert Moses has shown what imagination can do,”
Osborn gushes. “If parents cannot spare the rod, they can at least think of
better ways to spank,” he suggests a little later. His lists of exercises
at the end of every chapter feature gems such as:

I Was Skeptical About Innovation Advice, So I Put It to the Test
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2023-04-29/i-was-skeptical-about-innovation-advice-so-i-put-it-to-the-test