Karl Semich committing suicide after discussions with a chatbot, that included the possibility of him killing himself

Sat Apr 22 03:53:37 PDT 2023

> Fentanyl, also spelled fentanil, is a highly potent synthetic opioid
> primarily used as an analgesic. Since 2018, fentanyl and its analogues have
> been responsible for most drug overdose deaths in the United States, causing
> over 71,238 deaths in 2021.

Opioids are present in my area, although I don’t know the terms and
things well. I have been visiting the local recovery center the past
few weeks. It seems a wonderful place full of hope and community
energy, staffed by people themselves in recovery. I don’t identify as
an addict, but find some of my behaviors similar. I like the idea of
volunteering.

The stories of the people there can seem intense. For example, their
friends die from overdoses regularly, and there is a wall covered in
memorials and photos of people who didn’t make it. It’s very real, and
can seem to cast one directly at the juncture of healing and pain.

They ask not to share what people say at the meetings, which is a
little sad to me because the stories seem so important and
unheard-sounding.