Assassination Politics

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 21:59:57 PDT 2022

> Notable uptick...
> Stay out of the crossfire.

Russian Oil Oligarch Who Criticized Ukraine War 'Falls' Out Of
Hospital Window To His Death

https://www.interfax.ru/moscow/860208
https://www.businessinsider.com/these-are-all-the-russian-oligarchs-mysteriously-died-in-2022-2022-4

https://ria.ru/20220901/maganov-1813637122.html
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/united-states-obtains-warrant-seizure-45-million-airplane-owned-russian-energy-company-pjsc
https://www.lukoil.com/PressCenter/Pressreleases/Pressrelease?rid=577636
https://www.businessinsider.com/lukoil-oligarch-fell-fell-out-of-window-died-state-2022-9
https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-gazprom-linked-executive-found-dead-in-his-swimming-pool-2022-7
https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-oligarch-death-novatek-doubts-sergey-protosenya-murder-suicide-theory-2022-4

Ravil Maganov, the vice president and chair of the board of directors
of Russian oil giant Lukoil, died after falling out of a sixth floor
hospital window in Moscow on Thursday, state-controlled media
reported.

Maganov was in Moscow's Central Clinical Hospital - reportedly a
top-notch medical facility that serves senior Russian officials and
other elite clients - when he "fell out of the window" and died from
his injuries, an unnamed "informed source" told Russian news agency
Interfax.

The state news agency RIA Novosti followed up with confirmation from a
representative of the presidential administration, which manages the
hospital campus. A law enforcement source told the outlet that the
death was likely a suicide.

Maganov's death comes hours after the US Justice Department announced
a warrant to seize a $45 million Boeing aircraft belonging to Lukoil.

Perhaps most notably, Maganov's death comes almost six months to the
day after Lukoil released a statement expressing "deepest concerns"
about Putin's war in Ukraine.

In a joint statement to shareholders, staff, and customers, the
company's board of directors said that it was "calling for the soonest
termination of the armed conflict. We express our sincere empathy for
all victims, who are affected by this tragedy. We strongly support a
lasting ceasefire and a settlement of problems through serious
negotiations and diplomacy."

Falling short of naming it as an invasion - which is outlawed in
Russia - the statement was nonetheless a striking departure from the
Kremlin's messaging.

Lukoil confirmed Maganov's death, stating that it came "after a
lengthy serious illness," and there is speculation that the
67-year-old may have taken his own life after receiving bad news about
his condition.

However, as Insider notes, Maganov's death is the latest in a string
of unexplained or untimely deaths of Russian magnates connected to the
energy industry in the last months.