Cryptocurrency: WTF Happened In 1971?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 23:21:22 PDT 2022

https://brrr.money/
https://twitter.com/memetic_insti2t
https://thefed.app/

[–]co-oper8 169 points 3 days ago

This infographic deserves a Nobel prize for joirnalism. Good share!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Stompya 96 points 3 days ago

It’s a full-on website:

https://wtfhappenedin1971.com/

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DynamicHunter 28 points 3 days ago

That cost of living infographic hurts to read. New house 2.5x average
income, rent at like 15%

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]co-oper8 9 points 3 days ago

I know. I just read the whole page

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]knuF 2 points 3 days ago

You deserve a Nobel Peace prize for positive, engaging Reddit comments!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]co-oper8 1 point 3 days ago

Aw swell!

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ebaley 1 point 3 days ago

New Yorker?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]co-oper8 1 point 3 days ago

Are you asking me if i'm from NY?

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ebaley 1 point 2 days ago

A joke. Your spelling of journalism.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]co-oper8 1 point 2 days ago

Oh lol

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SaneLad 213 points 3 days ago

The biggest joke is that the US charges capital gains taxes on the
sale of physical gold. Gains my ass. Getting taxed on inflation is
what it is.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DanTheMan_117 77 points 3 days ago

Thing is, if we mined gold in the asteroid belt, it would drop 10 fold
or more. Only 21 million bitcoin, ever.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Threes_not_a_numberredditor for 3 months 15 points 3 days ago

The cost of mining asteroids would be astronomical

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ElephantsAreHeavy 6 points 2 days ago

Upvote for pun.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]CheetoPro4two0h 1 point 2 days ago

two punny

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]GreyHexagon 30 points 3 days ago

They still charge CGT on bitcoin. This isn't anything to do with
bitcoin Vs gold, it's that gold is stable and the dollar is constantly
devaluing, but taxes are still calculated from the point of view of
dollars.

You keep something that's stable to avoid inflation, but they still
tax you on it because they claim it's "increased in value." It hasn't
increased, USD has just gone down the shitter.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–][deleted] 3 days ago

[deleted]

[–]allofitILOVEIT 1 point 2 days ago

Except you aren't keeping it if you are having to pay capital gains
tax on it. Don't sell it, don't get taxed.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]GreyHexagon 2 points 2 days ago

I get what you're saying but it's hard to buy milk and bread with gold.

Obviously that's where bitcoin excels - it's totally possible to buy
everyday shit with bitcoin (when we reach a stage where it's widely
accepted.) Then the problem is with the fact that governments likely
tax you on every transaction, not just buying USD.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BruFoca 5 points 3 days ago

If becomes profitable to mine gold in the asteroid belt is because the
price to mine gold on the earth crust is so big that is cheaper to do
in the belt.

Scarcity doesn't mean that something doesn't exists, but the cost to
recover it is more expensive that the price of the thing.

A quick example is when the Saudis decided to flood the market with
oil until the price of the oil was so low that fracking in the USA was
unprofitable when everyone in the USA was broke they raised the
prices.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AtroposM 16 points 3 days ago

If we ever go asteroid mining we already going to be a post scarcity
and post currency society.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]FableFinale 16 points 3 days ago

Only if the gains aren't hoarded by the asteroid mining companies.

Did you know if you evenly distributed all the household wealth in the
United States, every person would get $450,000? Imagine not a single
person in the US being poor or struggling, but in fact very
comfortable and well-off. We're nearly at post-scarcity levels of
wealth already, it's just that nearly all of it is gobbled by the top
.01%.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Futonpimp 17 points 3 days ago

So basically big companies need to pay ceos less and employees more?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]New_Painting5190 11 points 3 days ago

Give a million dollars to every single poor citizen in the US and 30%
of them will be poor back again within a year.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]0mega0 2 points 3 days ago

Ok, what happens next?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]call-me-GiGi 3 points 3 days ago

People say eat the rich not realizing we are the rich sure you can
split that money amongst Americans but we’ll be even more hated by
those who are truly at the bottom of society.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]slickVikk0 1 point 3 days ago

If everyone made $450k per household imagine how bad inflation would be. 😂

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]kwanijml 0 points 3 days ago

The economic ignorance here is just astounding.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]STP_VEGAS 0 points 3 days ago

And how will bitcoin be any better? At todays population there only
about 300,000 Sats per person on the planet. With the likely
population increase, that number can only drop. The rich are already
hodling as much as they can, for a reason that can only be described
as greed. Limited supply is no solution to equalized distribution,
which is also known as communism.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]UrinalCakeTreatsredditor for 6 weeks 1 point 3 days ago

I bet the vast majority would blow that money within 6 months

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]FableFinale 1 point 3 days ago

Read the other comments below, I'm not necessarily endorsing it as an
economy policy. It's an illustration of how much wealth the top .01%
has.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Resri88 1 point 2 days ago

This is why their argument is so stupid.

    It aint gonna happen soon
    If/when it happens those companies are going to go about it the
same way they do with diamonds. Keep it scarce and push the price
high.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Volwik 1 point 2 days ago*

I think in 6 months a bunch of those people will be broke again...or
dead. In 2 years even more. In a generation even more and in 5 even
more. Do you then forcibly rebalance wealth again when inequality
rears its inevitable head down the road?

E: how do you(and should you) protect a society against stupid people
harming themselves with their decisions while still protecting their
right to make decisions, in this case with their finances?

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Unnormally2 1 point 2 days ago

If that happened, all the houses would skyrocket in cost, because
suddenly a ton of new people are in the market for one.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]B1ggusDckus 1 point 3 days ago

Total bs. Asteroid mining is hella expensive. Also, the money for
Elon's Dyson sphere must come from somewhere, I guess.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]botfiddler 1 point 1 day ago

No, it still costs ressources and effort. Also, it's limited.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Resri88 -1 points 2 days ago

The asteroid mining is an invalid argument. If you are worried about
that, you should be terrified about all the other cryptos coming for
bitcoin

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DanTheMan_117 1 point 2 days ago

It was a joke

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Resri88 1 point 2 days ago

I see😅

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]JazzlikePractice4470 1 point 3 days ago

😂

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ReitHodlr 1 point 3 days ago

Endless supply of money! This reminds me of the very first dollar
printed and borrowed + interest. If the first and only dollar is
borrowed + interest, where is the money from the interest coming from?

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]trollking66 218 points 3 days ago

Ill take "the US dollar removed from the gold standard for 100 Alex".

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TendieTrades 55 points 3 days ago

By Nixon…who was impeached…who famously said, “I am not a crook.”

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jt7855 8 points 3 days ago

Yep, he also said he was a “Keynesian”.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Zealousideal_Neck78 18 points 3 days ago*

Nixon is not a crook by today's standards. In fact, what he did is
very minor compared to what's going on now. Calling it more than this
is just left wing partisan mischief and slander to cause discord.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jrjdotmac 48 points 3 days ago

Nixon used the entire US intelligence apparatus to spy on anyone he
thought might pose a danger to him, his policies or his re-election.

Those intelligence agencies dug up dirt on opponents and leaked that
information. He then went on to win the 1972 election by winning 49
states. George McGovern only won only 1 state and DC. 520 Electoral
Votes to 17. McGovern won the nomination after other democratic
challengers dropped out over various scandals or dirt.

Numerous laws were then passed in the aftermath, include one that
forbid the NSA from listening to signal intelligence inside the US.

I believe most folks see Watergate as a break-in, when that was only a
single operation of thousands that were conducted across the country.
Watergate was the only one where they were caught placing listening
devices. Oh, and it happened to be the National offices of the
Democratic National Committee.

Young Nixon advisors at that time included Roger Stone and Paul Manafort.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Itsthatijustdontcare 9 points 3 days ago

Well I’m convinced- thanks for such a concise read.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]MemeLordsUnited 0 points 3 days ago

So what you're saying is, dismantle the alphabet Intel agencies? I can
get on board with this! None of this corruption could have been
possible without them. They must be held accountable!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]Quick-Wolverine-9379 1 point 3 days ago

Obama did that to Trump too

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]kingx85x 1 point 3 days ago

Sounds like the obama administration

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]tylerhbrown 0 points 3 days ago

And he recorded himself saying the n word in the Oval Office…

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]overtoke 9 points 3 days ago

*what he was ultimately charged for

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]FLWeedman 2 points 3 days ago

Fuck Nixon

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TendieTrades 1 point 3 days ago

But he did say it…I think.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Zealousideal_Neck78 comment score below threshold-7 points 3 days
ago (1 child)

[–]imnotsoho 2 points 2 days ago

Nixon was not impeached. Also France was buying US gold for $33 per
ounce, which was the international agreement at the time.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TendieTrades 1 point 1 day ago

He resigned the presidency but was in the process of becoming
impeached I guess and knew he’d be fucked if he didn’t resign.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Big-Veterinarian-823 -1 points 3 days ago

When my wife (who is not American) ask me "who is Nixon?" I always
reply with: "Donald Trump of the 70's".

Staying on and on forever in the Vietnam war? Yeah that was Nixon.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Okaymusic 3 points 3 days ago

Trump got 5 Nobel peace prize nominations for ending war their the
total opposite

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BruFoca 5 points 3 days ago

List of wars or countries invaded by the USA during Trump government:

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]nagareteku 1 point 3 days ago

Would you rather Nixon say "I am a crook."?

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Ralph_Naders_Ghost 5 points 3 days ago

Judging by the chart, I'd say you got the Daily Double!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]maconsultant 2 points 3 days ago

💯

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]nofaploveitredditor for 2 weeks 1 point 3 days ago

Nope. No fault divorce 1980

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]coinfeeds-bot 84 points 3 days ago

tldr; "I don't believe we shall ever have a good money again before we
take the thing out of the hands of government, that is, we can’t take
it violently out of government's hands, all we can do is by some sly
roundabout way introduce something that they can't stop.” – F.A.
Hayek.

This summary is auto generated by a bot and not meant to replace
reading the original article. As always, DYOR.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ok46reddit 27 points 3 days ago

Congress got rid of secret voting on on amendments to bills (teller
votes) in the interest of transparency. By making all of the member's
votes visible this information created a market for the votes. This
marks the beginning, in earnest, of the influence of lobbying dollars
on the formation of laws.

https://www.nytimes.com/1970/07/28/archives/house-backs-end-of-teller-votes-on-amendments-antisecrecy-provision.html

    When drafting legislation, the Founding Fathers relied on secrecy.
They wrote the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of
Independence in abject secrecy. This was no accident. As the following
citations show, greater transparency has long been known to degrade
the legislative process and provide benefits to powerful factions
(lobbyists, partisan groups and monied special interests).

https://congressionalresearch.org/Citations.html

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]izaakfromspace 3 points 2 days ago

I wish this comment was higher! Thank you for this information

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ok46reddit 1 point 2 days ago

Hardly anyone has much awareness about this. I'm pretty sure that's by
design. As you can see here, it is buried in a bunch of gold-standard
nonsense.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ricalamino 212 points 3 days ago

Gold standard dismissed...

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]aijoe 14 points 3 days ago

"On June 5, 1933, the United States went off the gold standard, a
monetary system in which currency is backed by gold, when Congress
enacted a joint resolution nullifying the right of creditors to demand
payment in gold." Since 1933 gold redemption has been made illegal for
everyone but the government. Nixon finished it off completely by
removing governments ability to redeem dollars for gold. I'm not how
that explains though what happened private wages.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]oh_soo_swagless 17 points 3 days ago

You didn’t read the article long enough pal. “The government held the
$35 per ounce price until August 15, 1971, when President Richard
Nixon announced that the United States would no longer convert dollars
to gold at a fixed value, thus completely abandoning the gold
standard.”

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]aijoe 9 points 3 days ago

"The government held the $35 per ounce price until August 15, 1971".
That doesn't at all conflict with what I just said bud. 1933 change
took everyone else off the standard in the US but the government. The
government itself left the standard in 1971.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Pooper69poo 9 points 3 days ago

When Nixon did that, he did in the U$D for good, it stopped having
even a proxy peg to something of real value, and moved to ‘confidence’
as its main value: (world reserve currency, trade in staple modern
energy source:Oil, international settlement, etc.) thus the dollars
you hold were now as truly worthless as they were after 1933, and the
gov. could request as many pieces of paper as they wanted to be
printed at any time with no requirement of showing an equivalent
amount of gold to back it, thus properly devaluing it.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Ok-Volume8372 2 points 3 days ago

Truly the gold standard was abandoned by the Bank of England in 1914,
to finance World War 1

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]apextek 11 points 3 days ago

Vietnam waning, the hippie movement, Nixon wasn't doing so hot, Lots
of assassinated civil rights leaders,... Post summer of love hangover

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]itsallalive 21 points 3 days ago

This doesn’t explain why the average female income continued to
increase in relation to GDP while males plateaued.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]kwayzzz 61 points 3 days ago

Its because prior to then the household only needed one adult working
to afford a quality life.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]itsallalive 6 points 3 days ago

I do think removing the gold standard was a factor, but women entered
the workforce when they acquired reliable birth control.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]parishiIt0n 12 points 3 days ago

Fact: no women ever worked before reliable birth control

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]cryptocurrencyking9 -4 points 3 days ago*

As it should be now and was intended to be by whatever creator y’all
believe in design. Now more people feel they have to work outside the
home to keep basic necessities. That negatively affects children women
and of course men because now women generally stating in America
specifically are more bitches and more masculine than they have been
in the past & men are way less authoritative much more emasculated and
dominant in relationships. Our “leaders” definitely don’t give a shit
about us just profits.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]JudoTrip 2 points 3 days ago

What the fuck did I just read?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]_Tangent_Universe 10 points 3 days ago

Globalisation is the cause for that - decent paying unskilled labour
jobs (aka factory jobs) moved out of the US.

The wages of the top 25% have easily kept up with inflation - if you
are a professional you’ve been doing fine. If you are unskilled you
are out of luck for the past 50 years. And it’s going to get worse
with automation

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Zealousideal_Line629 24 points 3 days ago

More women were being forced into the workforce due to the 'keeping up
with the Jones' syndrome. This increased their income. Plus that was
the time women got all uppity about equality and fair pay.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]kwayzzz 17 points 3 days ago

“Keeping up with the Jones” syndrome is propaganda. It was out of
necessity. Prior to this a household could easier afford to have only
one person working while the other tended to the children.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]uns5dies 5 points 3 days ago

That's not true. They created new needs for us such as tourism,
shopping, dining out once a week, entertainment... People used to had
simpler lives back then, not 10 pairs of shoes and 30 shirts neither
travelling so often

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]TendieTrades 4 points 3 days ago

Keeping up with the joneses started with The Wyndclyffe Mansion. The
80-acre land it rests on was purchased by the wealthy Elizabeth Jones
in 1853. The 24 bedroom mansion in New York was so grand it prompted a
'building boom' as all neighbours started upgrading their houses & the
saying "Keeping up with the Joneses" was born.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]wen_mars 1 point 2 days ago

We went from homes where 3 generations lived together, the kids helped
out with farm work and nobody had cars to homes with only 2
generations where the parents need a car each so one can drive the
kids to school before work and the other can pick them up after work.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]kwayzzz 1 point 2 days ago

All of that transition took place far earlier than the 70’s.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Krypto_Kane 42 points 3 days ago

They needed more taxpayers .. so they convinced women they can do
anything a man does but better.. remember the slogan???

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]metal_bassoonist 26 points 3 days ago

We can do it! (We can be fiat debt slaves just like men)

Most feminists aren't gonna like that truth. Introducing women to the
workforce essentially doubled the supply of labor, not overnight, but
over decades. As the supply increased, the price of labor stagnated
because inflation rose proportionally to the supply of labor increase.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]Zealousideal_Line629 1 point 3 days ago

I have to say I was very impressed when I found out they could bring
home the bacon and fry it up in a pan.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PaintTraditional2252redditor for 3 months -1 points 3 days ago

More women were being forced into the workplace, so the children had
to be put in schools so the government could indoctrinate them with
their agenda rather than their parents' good values. This is why we
have so many social agendas in society today. If children learn their
values around the dinner table and are not forced to believe things,
they don't really understand.. We wouldn't have so much division in
society. But we do, and the government benefits from that.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Zealousideal_Line629 0 points 3 days ago

Agreed.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]LayPessimist 0 points 3 days ago

Which is why I do home schooling.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]cryptocurrencyking9 0 points 3 days ago

Some were forced a lot of women demanded being in the workforce don’t
remove that accountability from those women who wanted to function
like men like dummies. All of that needs to be reversed it’s doesn’t
benefit families or relationships or children or myself having most
women in the workforce when they are designed to nurture not be a
machine

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lenoqt[🍰] 2 points 3 days ago

Do you have a source for this? I would love to see it, not trying to
invalidate your comment btw.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]itsallalive 0 points 3 days ago

Look at the graphs OPs attachment.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lenoqt[🍰] 2 points 3 days ago

Holy fuck, thanks!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]RationalLibraryCoins 0 points 3 days ago

It's unfortunate that in a post about dropping the gold standard
leading to human beings being compensated less for more work, you
focus on the "horrors" of women having the opportunity to be more
successful.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]cryptocurrencyking9 -1 points 3 days ago

What or why do you believe women having opportunities to be successful
in what exactly

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]apextek 1 point 3 days ago*

cant be summed up ij one sentence but women were for the first time
entering the work force as woman rights surged and men of the same age
were fighting in nam or protesting the war

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]uns5dies 1 point 3 days ago

Women that worked before used to be from poor families thus their
income was very low as they were only in shitty jobs. Women from upper
classes started to work more, study more in universities, etc. So they
got into better paid jobs

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]-_-_---____-----__redditor for 4 weeks 1 point 3 days ago

Inevitable. Bitcoin is far superior to gold.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lordsamadhi 44 points 3 days ago

How are people seemingly okay with the government no longer being
obligated to peg the currency and thus print endlessly if they so
desire? Before 1971, the public did not allow this. The founding
fathers were very against this.

Yet, our entire population appears to be taking their poison-pill
without question. And Bitcoiners are the crazy ones??

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Stompya 25 points 3 days ago

Kennedy opposed decoupling the currency.

Hmmm

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]link_nukem28 8 points 3 days ago

because most people don't even know about things like this

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]RationalLibraryCoins 4 points 3 days ago

I had someone recently try to argue against BTC that "at least the
dollar is backed by gold".

People also have no idea about fractional reserve banking. The money
people have in banks that's backed by nothing doesn't even really
exist

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]grahamkrackers 2 points 3 days ago

They will fight tooth and nail to defend the system that suppresses them

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]what_no_fkn_ziti -1 points 3 days ago

    How are people seemingly okay with the government no longer being
obligated to peg the currency

The us dollar is pegged to jobs, stable currency, and long-term
interest rates instead of arbitrary shiny metal.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lordsamadhi 2 points 3 days ago

How so? Can you point me to some reading to support your claims? I
don't think the dollar is pegged to anything. The people working those
jobs are being lied to... their value being partially siphoned by a
government who can use inflation to their advantage.

"Stable currency"? The dollar is pegged to stable currency? Huh?

Long term interest rates via the fixed income market. Yea, I agree
with this one, but ONLY if the people keep believing in this fake
house of cards. This is really just another way of saying it's pegged
to "faith". No scarcity or thermodynamics built in. The dollar is the
original Proof of Stake system.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ThyC0BRA 1 point 3 days ago

I’m not sure if I’m qualified to go into this, as it’s been quite a
while since I read about it: When a human is born in the US, the
social security number issued corresponds to the issuance of a
corporation “lost at sea” - and I shouldn’t be going on about it but
the person issued the SSN pays taxes, and I’m not exactly sure how…
but the government reaps the benefits of the taxes from the
corporation “lost at sea” - you see, they know it isn’t lost, but you
don’t get to claim any of it. I’ll show myself out.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HearMeSpeakAsIWill 0 points 2 days ago

That arbitrary shiny metal has an inherent scarcity. There are only so
many gold atoms in the world. That makes it something of a collector's
item. What's the limiting factor on the number of US dollars that will
ever be printed? That's right, there isn't one.

Jobs go up? That means inflation, so better print more dollars. Jobs
go down? That means we need economic stimulus, so print more dollars.
Regardless of the number of jobs, "more dollars" is the preferred
policy. That's not what pegging means.

Long-term interest rates? Yes, eventually they are forced to raise
them to prevent the whole house of cards from collapsing. Small
comfort to those holding cash, especially over the last few years, who
already saw their wealth eroded by government profligacy bordering on
the criminal.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]therealcpain 1 point 3 days ago

The point is pegging a currency to something that can’t be created out
of thin air.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]a_wild_thing 1 point 2 days ago

As of right now the citizens of the worlds wealthiest nations do not
understand the difference between a fiat monetary system and and
commodity based monetary system. It is that simple. Ignorance coupled
with a strong belief that government will do right by their citizens.

The inflation we are seeing now is the single best opportunity we’ve
had since the Nixon shock to explain to people that if there is no
cost to making new money, it may as well grow on trees and in time
it’s value will reflect that.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Coinsworthy 8 points 3 days ago

Club of Rome happened.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Salti21 8 points 3 days ago

Nothing is by accident.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Deathdar1577 8 points 3 days ago

How about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_shock

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]oh_soo_swagless 2 points 3 days ago

This is one of the few possible answers I have seen in the comments.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]martinsoderholm 1 point 3 days ago

How about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgqhywW9Cto

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]masstransience 5 points 3 days ago

Nixon happened to 1971.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AllCredits 8 points 3 days ago

Gold standard my guy

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]nzcheyafalco11 5 points 3 days ago

pRoGrEsS

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]seansy5000 12 points 3 days ago

Record corporate profits….

Aaaaand there goes the middle class.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]trufin2038 6 points 3 days ago

Looking at the wrong year for sure. The question is what happened in 1913.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Pradiis 8 points 3 days ago

Also machines started to raise productivity.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]metal_bassoonist 5 points 3 days ago

Yea but prior to that, workers received part of the fruits of that
increase in their wages. Machines had been increasing productivity for
thousands of years. Trickle down economics used to kind of work. Now
they tell us we should be happy to even have a job.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]tensigh 2 points 3 days ago

We also started importing a lot into the U.S. around that time, too.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jt7855 3 points 3 days ago

The fix is in. That is what happened in 1971. Now we all are paying
for their nonsense. Every generation since is paying for a system that
benefits only those closest to the printer. Also, so those in power
can use the US to pursue their ideological endeavors.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]flygande_kanin 3 points 3 days ago

Wow actually 1971 is a year well known in China, when everything
changed overnight after Henry Kissinger visited China and China-US
relations became good and China replaced Taiwan as a permanent member
of the United Nations Security Council.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Th3Bratl3y 1 point 3 days ago

Bingo.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]CryptoMemesLOL 4 points 3 days ago

Everybody should know what happened in 1971. This is where the printer
game started.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ultimatemuffin 4 points 3 days ago

Drug war

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dirtyhandsome 16 points 3 days ago

How is this related to Bitcoin?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Recent_Opportunity34redditor for 3 weeks 70 points 3 days ago

The Nixon administration removes the US dollar from the gold standard
in 1971, thereby beginning the process to allow for infinite money
supply.

This article and its graphs suggest that this decision could be linked
to the ensuing inflation, economic and monetary policies that spawned
from this decision.

Bitcoin, having a fixed and finite supply, it could be reasoned would
curb some of these trends.

...at least that was my take away.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]637282726272828272[S] 12 points 3 days ago

good!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SaneLad comment score below threshold-11 points 3 days ago* (4 children)

[–][deleted] 3 days ago

[deleted]

[–]martinsoderholm 1 point 3 days ago

The de-pegging of gold happened globally, but the effects seen on
those graphs did not. Why?

Nixon also made another massive change in late 1970. IMO, this better
explains the effects seen in the US, but not globally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgqhywW9Cto

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]floorcondom 24 points 3 days ago

Can we not downvote the guy for asking a question?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HighlySuccessful 4 points 3 days ago

If he goes to a car subreddit, opens up a post about a very well known
issue with all modern engines and says "How's this related to cars?",
people will either think: a. he's taking a piss, b. he's clueless.
That will definitely prompt some downvotes. Maybe some will take it
genuinely and reply "cars have engines" trying to help the guy out,
but I'm sure there wouldn't be many.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dirtyhandsome 2 points 3 days ago

Hey, you seem to be knowledgeable. Can you ELI5 how this post is
related to bitcoin?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]metal_bassoonist 5 points 3 days ago

Because we're talking about reserve currencies. Used to be gold, now
it's made up government monopoly money, it could and should be
bitcoin.

Tldr bitcoin fixes this

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]shoestars 4 points 3 days ago

Not the guy you asked but in 1971 we went off the gold standard and
central banks started increasing the money supply with nothing to back
the currency. Btc is a “hard money” like gold. The idea is that
switching to a “btc standard” would fix many of the problems that
plague our society. “Fix the money, fix the world” is something I’ve
heard thrown around before. Basically bitcoin is a superior form of
money to the fiat currency we use today. There are many reasons also
why bitcoin is better than gold, but that’s another whole separate
discussion lol

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]andersonle09 0 points 3 days ago

That would be true if this was a currency subreddit.

This is more like going to a Tesla subreddit and posting data about
how ICEs are an inefficient way to convert fuel into energy.

It is tangentially related, but it it is hard for everyone who is not
knowledgeable about engines to draw a straight line; especially since
there are probably people on the subreddit who just like Teslas and
don’t really care about efficiency.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]floorcondom 1 point 3 days ago

You could know how to code within bitcoin and still not know about
going off the gold standard. Its a learning process that takes time.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dirtyhandsome 2 points 3 days ago

Thank you. Today is a weird day. Half of the comments i’m getting are
along the lines of “I don’t know why you get downvoted”. Honestly, I
don’t know either. Asking an honest question here. I clicked the link
and it’s just a million graphics with no explanation as to why it is
posted to a bitcoin sub.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BashCo 1 point 3 days ago

It's probably because people can't tell your question is an honest one
because there are so many insincere trolls griefing the sub these
days.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dirtyhandsome 0 points 3 days ago

Maybe the bear is making people bitter. Maybe they bought at ATH,
maybe they’re unhappy with their lives.. who knows. I always try to
see the upside in things! Thank you!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]RealCanadianMonkey 3 points 3 days ago

    "I don't believe we shall ever have a good money again before we
take the thing out of the hands of government, that is, we can’t take
it violently out of government's hands, all we can do is by some sly
roundabout way introduce something that they can't stop.” – F.A.
Hayek.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]bearCatBird 2 points 3 days ago

It’s one of the primary reasons bitcoin was invented. To separate
money/economy from the state.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–][deleted] -4 points 3 days ago

Pick up a book my dude

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    reply

[–]ricardotown 0 points 3 days ago

The armchair economist, thinking they understand global politics and
monetary policy, have a very tenuous grasp on both math and money. So
they focus on a single variable and use it to shape their entire world
view and entire economic view.

This sad truth will be used to ruin Bitcoin in the future as it tends
towards more radical, uneducated "libertarians" and pushes itself into
the "Liberty Dollar" space rather than the legitimate peer-to-peer
cash space.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]a_wild_thing 1 point 2 days ago

Before answering it might be best to ask, what is Bitcoin to you? A
speculative investment where number go up and you can sell for a
handsome profit? Or something else?

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Albertsongmanredditor for 3 months 2 points 3 days ago

The middle & lower class contribute to 70% of the GDP. Failure to
properly compensate after massive gains in productivity mitigates a
strong economy. Those classes are the spenders. We are going into a
debt spiral. True and pure capitalism compensates the spectrum of all
employees properly.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]imsoupercereal 2 points 3 days ago*

I know it doesn't fit the narrative, but we can't exclude other
factors like computing abilities and improvements in communication.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]pentarh 2 points 3 days ago

Petrodollar born

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]RealPennyMuncher 2 points 3 days ago

Gold standard ended bro

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Gamma-512 2 points 3 days ago

Post coup per Kennedy assassins

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]JasonHears 2 points 3 days ago

The Nixon Shock

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AceVentura1224 2 points 3 days ago

Nixon is what happened.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AgenceElysium 2 points 3 days ago

20th century: women enter the workforce.

21st century: children enter the workforce.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]LeastResearch787 2 points 3 days ago

Nixon

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Swole_Monkey 2 points 3 days ago

That’s actually nuts it‘s immediately reflected in this chart 🤯

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Futhamucker1 2 points 2 days ago

We got fucked

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]1avrce1 2 points 2 days ago

We left the gold standard in 1971 if I remember correctly.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]strog91 5 points 3 days ago

People forget that 1971 is also the year we normalized relations with
China and started trading with them. Most of what you see in the
charts was caused by opening trade with China.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]_Tangent_Universe 4 points 3 days ago

I completely agree. The charts even show this - the salaries of the
top 25% have kept up with inflation but the bottom 10% has stagnated.
If the problem was with moving off the gold standard then it would
have impacted all salaries - but it’s only the unskilled end that have
been impacted.

So yeah - there has been inflation but if you were a professional
you’ve done fine. If you were a factory worker you were rekt

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]martinsoderholm 2 points 3 days ago

A less known fact is that Nixon also opened up committees to lobbyists
in late 1970.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgqhywW9Cto

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]kytheon 4 points 3 days ago

Looks like a lot of married couples with children… two years after the
summer of ‘69

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Zealousideal_Line629 3 points 3 days ago

And before the divorces of 77'

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]r4wbon3 0 points 3 days ago

That summer seemed to last forever….

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]itsallalive 3 points 3 days ago

Reliable birth control allowed women to consistently enter the work
force. This increased productivity, household per-capita income, and
wage competition. Their wages steadily improved thereafter while males
plateaued.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]_Tangent_Universe 2 points 3 days ago

Male wages in the bottom 10% plateaued - top 25% did fine.

Globalisation reduced the numbers of relatively well paid unskilled
(factory) jobs. China opened up in the 1970s and the writing was on
the wall. If we were still on the gold standard when globalisation
kicked in we’d still have seen the same relative wage impact.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]QAnonRetard 1 point 3 days ago

Is this true? Can you give a source for this claim you are making?

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]itsallalive 1 point 3 days ago

Out of laziness and an unwillingness to debate I’d rather just let you
assume it to be made up.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]QAnonRetard 1 point 3 days ago

I'm not trying to debate at all. Just any source that proves what you
are claiming regarding reliable birth control, as I'd like to read
further about it.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Chucktownchef 1 point 3 days ago

This had much do with Govt telling moms they will be taken care of by
the govt if they don’t get married. This has led to a demise of our
culture and the family structure. Govt will send you a check and make
sure you stay comfortable with being poor.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]OnlyBubbleredditor for 3 days 1 point 3 days ago

Nothing happened by accident

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DSAdqqefvef 1 point 3 days ago

War on drugs might be related to this too, the UN convention narcotics
was also in 1971

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]tensigh 1 point 3 days ago

There were a few others things, aside from the aforementioned gold standard.

- International travel by jet airliner became more common, paving the
way for imports

- International phone lines became common use, again, paving the way for imports

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BanginBentleys 3 points 3 days ago

100%

Trading with China boomed then as well.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]tensigh 2 points 3 days ago

A lot of things happened around that time; even though the oil embargo
started 2 years later, by 1971 the situation was getting difficult. It
wasn't just one thing that caused change.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SPedigrees 1 point 2 days ago

That didn't start until the millennial when we stupidly extended
permanent normal trade relations status to China, but Nixon opened the
doors to it in 1971 when he visited there.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BackgroundSea0 1 point 3 days ago*

The rise of neo-capitalism happened. This was also the beginning of
the time period in which the Supreme Court started abolishing common
sense campaign finance laws in the name of "free speech," allowing
corporations to much more easily buy politicians in Washington. The
petro dollar also became a thing during this time. And let's not
forget about the attacks on unions that began in the late 70s and 80s,
destroying worker rights in this country. In other words, a multiprong
attack to rob the middle class so the elite could consolidate more
wealth.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]db2 -1 points 3 days ago

Conservatives pretending to be Republicans happened. Now the party is
gutted and mostly conservatives breaking shit for immediate
gratification like small children.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]gaylord9000 0 points 3 days ago

I'd say it's more like republicans pretending to be conservatives.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]raffiv 0 points 3 days ago

Automation became a thing and continued to progress over the last 50 years.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]parishiIt0n 3 points 3 days ago

Fact: automation was invented in 1971

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]LTCN1963 1 point 2 days ago

Well that's just something wrong if you ask me my friend.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]nofaploveitredditor for 2 weeks 0 points 3 days ago

No fault divorce in 1980.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Ridebmx43 0 points 3 days ago

Women were allowed to get credit cards without their husbands permission

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]gtrhergfsdfgb 1 point 2 days ago

Damn is that something real? I thought it was about Nixon.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]RomanDad 0 points 3 days ago

Women entered the workforce en masse.

Doubled productivity. Halved wages.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]OkRoad6218 -1 points 3 days ago

Good thing BTC is backed by real world commodities… wait

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BlackPlagueCat 4 points 3 days ago

What is Gold backed by? Nothing, it's just a finite resource.
Usefulness derived by it's desire to be had for that very fact. If you
could go dig up 4 pounds of gold in your back yard, it wouldn't be
sold in jewelry stores as a "premium material" at high prices.

Bitcoin is also finite and useful for it's ability to be out of the
hands of the government, which is something Gold can't do- seeing as
they regulate the trade; an important utility of it's own.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]slump_g0d 1 point 3 days ago

Bet you feel real smart saying that

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PoDunkYuppie 0 points 3 days ago

Everybody’s previous answer, plus a few…

https://cointelegraph.com/magazine/2020/09/24/wtf-happened-in-1971

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Disastrous_Dealer_12 0 points 3 days ago

The Powell memo to the US Chambers of Commerce.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]novathekatredditor for 1 week 0 points 3 days ago

We went off the gold standard. Why are you posting this in a bitcoin
subreddit though?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]360alaska 0 points 3 days ago

Women fully joined the work force, if you double the amount of workers
you half what everyone gets paid.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–][deleted] 3 days ago (2 children)

[–]sios01 -2 points 3 days ago

Boomers became adults.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]funkybeatz911 1 point 3 days ago

Best resource

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]iam_aryan007 1 point 3 days ago

Woah 1971 looks like most important year

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]johnnyestring 1 point 2 days ago

It's just right and we should do some study over that year.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]LaunchATX 1 point 3 days ago

Great Society programs maybe?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]GreyHexagon 1 point 3 days ago

I love this site. I like to imagine how life would have been if 1971
was all just a bad dream.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]link_nukem28 1 point 3 days ago

A little later there was a thing called citizens united aka corporate
bribes to politicians

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]samfishx 1 point 3 days ago

Does anybody have any steel man arguments for and against the gold
standard/Bitcoin vs fiat? I don’t feel like I’ve ever heard any
arguments for or against either that haven’t been extremely slanted.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]StackOwOFlow 1 point 3 days ago

all those Boomers’ parents fucking like rabbits led to consequences.
and you had an era of “free love”

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]daviguima 1 point 2 days ago

They really need to guess the right thing right now mate.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]NvrIdle 1 point 3 days ago

Lol, president Nixon. Duh…

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Dalichuk 1 point 2 days ago

Thanks for telling about it, we are going to search about it.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]whysoseriousjune3 1 point 3 days ago

Cocaine hell of a drug

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]btcgreys 1 point 2 days ago

People were having some tough time with that place.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ebaley 1 point 3 days ago

It started long before 1971. This was just the final death throe.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Automatic-Area5144 1 point 3 days ago

Gold standard

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AnxiousQuestioner 1 point 3 days ago

A lot of drugs. A bunch of ideas. And “How can we profit the most on
this massive generation of people”. Mixed with boomers being such a
high percentage of votes for most of their life. They always had the
ability to make a change with their vote. We can barely impact the
vote because the older people are still all voting while the newer
generation are less likely to vote mainly because they hate the
government or the candidates. At least throw your vote to Harambe.
Don’t let your name be an empty vote to be filled by a malicious actor

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]andrew7231 1 point 3 days ago

Everybody was mad The Beatles broke up

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dstibbe 1 point 3 days ago

August 15th?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jpmllr89 1 point 3 days ago

Neoliberalism

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]NNiikkyy 1 point 2 days ago

What does that mean? Sorry I just don't know about it.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SPedigrees 1 point 2 days ago

Fake liberals would be a better term.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jpmllr89 2 points 2 days ago

Liberalism over time turns into its opposite.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jpmllr89 1 point 2 days ago

It's a trend in modern liberalism that takes the freedom of the
individual to the extreme while promoting profits at all costs.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SPedigrees 1 point 2 days ago*

Neoliberalism began a couple decades later with Clinton's 3rd way centralism.

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jpmllr89 1 point 2 days ago

Lmao

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Far-Ad-8261 1 point 3 days ago

Women started to get more rights after case Moritz v. Commissioner.
Women entered the economy more broadly which lowered salaries and
increased productivity.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]57seconds 1 point 3 days ago

I got born

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]CaptainAntwat 1 point 3 days ago

Just wait, within the next 2years you’ll be asking wtf happened in
2023/24. Digital dollar

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Puzzleheaded_Heat502 1 point 3 days ago

It’s empowering women not doubling the workforce by making both partners work.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]MakeTotalDestr0i 1 point 3 days ago

women entered the workforce

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]iAmBaTmAn1388 1 point 3 days ago

After the immigration act of 1965 a few years prior foreign labor
started arriving in droves, driving down wages

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]foulminionredditor for 3 weeks 1 point 3 days ago

Starbucks was founded in 1971 and, as a result, people kept staring at
charts to find correlations rather than getting sleep.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]coti20 1 point 3 days ago

So, yes. But isn't that productivity vs. income graph not corrected
for inflation and other factors?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]mab336 1 point 3 days ago

Hippies

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jumpingjactrader 1 point 3 days ago

they lowered the voting age to 18

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]martinsoderholm 1 point 3 days ago

Sunshine laws in the US opened up the committees to lobbyists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgqhywW9Cto

The effects shown on those graphs on the wtf-site did not occur
globally. But the entire world went off the gold standard, so why not?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]mavtastickush66 1 point 3 days ago

Women’s rights movement

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]throwaway12222018 1 point 3 days ago

Widespread adoption of computers and the Internet happened.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]EROSENTINEL 1 point 3 days ago

Deviated from the gold standard

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]EmotionalBreakfast27 1 point 3 days ago

I was born in 1971

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Seddy01 1 point 3 days ago

Capitalism happened.

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]btc-x24 1 point 3 days ago

Rise of technology, partially anyways

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Michael47ORredditor for 3 days 1 point 3 days ago

This started when Nixon suddenly stopped redeeming foreign owned
dollars for their gold counterpart. The moment the dollar was not tied
to gold the whole system is built on fraud.

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Natsurulite 1 point 3 days ago

WTF happened in 1971?!?

The first of the baby boomers began entering the workforce, that’s what happened

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Plastic_Ad6524 1 point 3 days ago

Rise of technology, more people then jobs and monetary system change.

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Noob313373 1 point 3 days ago

Consumer electronics started. Manufacturing boost.

Same people, but more output.

Goal of every economy

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]MinnesnowdaDad 1 point 3 days ago

The Nixon shock was a series of economic measures undertaken by United
States President Richard Nixon in 1971, in response to increasing
inflation, the most significant of which were wage and price freezes,
surcharges on imports, and the unilateral cancellation of the direct
international convertibility of the United States dollar to gold.

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]VirtuousScoundrel 1 point 3 days ago

ITT: lots of really uninformed takes on how well the gold standard was working.

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Electrical_Alps2457redditor for 1 week 1 point 3 days ago

money printer go brrrrrr

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HomegrownMike 1 point 3 days ago

Fucking Nixon. Fucking politicians. Let’s go Bitcoin!!!

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BenzOpated 1 point 3 days ago

Why was milk do expensive back then ?

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Wide_Television_7074 1 point 3 days ago

How can the US re-establish a partial gold peg? Is it possible?

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AfternoonLate9833 1 point 3 days ago

I was born.

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]QuartzPuffyStar 1 point 3 days ago

The "deep state" made its first big move.

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Gitanochild 1 point 3 days ago

Fuck

Me

🫠

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BahreClaw 1 point 3 days ago

1971 the US dollar officially became a fiat currency.

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]mottledshmeckleredditor for 5 weeks 1 point 3 days ago

It's the year Nixon too the US off the gold standard.

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ReishLionRight 1 point 3 days ago

President Richard Nixon's actions in 1971 to end dollar convertibility
to gold and implement wage/price controls were intended to address the
international dilemma of a looming gold run and the domestic problem
of inflation.

This is a copy paste but that happened

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Low-Practice5025 1 point 3 days ago

Guess I was born at the wrong time

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Loljebeck 1 point 3 days ago

New world order was birthed in 1971 via the World Economic Forum

Make the rich even richer and the poor even poorer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Schwab

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]tpot72 1 point 3 days ago

Probably Nixon taking US off the Bretton-Woods system, allowing the
country to print money without the need to be backed by hard currency.
Most other nations followed, and the price of gold skyrocketed past
the pinned $35/oz price it had hovered since the US went off the gold
standard in 1933

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Severe_Airport1426 1 point 3 days ago

End of gold standard

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]General-Decision-576 1 point 2 days ago

Cocaine

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]OwnerAndMaster 1 point 2 days ago

The actual answer would get me banned from this sub

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]rayjensen 1 point 2 days ago

What

    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ErrareUmanumEst 1 point 2 days ago

This website is the best way to orange pill someone

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]roofiokk 1 point 2 days ago

I believe it was right around 1970 that we went off of the gold standard...

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]csantini91 1 point 2 days ago

Controlled Substances Act (1970) a year prior.
a year without cannabis might have caused this

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Imperial_12345 1 point 2 days ago

1971 happened

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]tilz0-R 1 point 2 days ago

Gold as reserve currency?

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]FrontTonight1814 1 point 2 days ago

Isn’t it the detachment of the dollar from the gold standard?

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Cirewess 1 point 2 days ago

On top of taking off the gold standard, they also started pushing
Welfare big time

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]imnotsoho 1 point 2 days ago

The war on Unions didn't start with Reagan, he just put it into
overdrive. Take a lookat the 4th chart.

    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]hamletgr 1 point 2 days ago

I guess it was connected to women and Nixon matter or something like
that, I don't know much about it and still people are not answering
that in a correct way lol.

    save
    report
    give award