China Implodes

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 23:55:36 PST 2022

China's people protesting by the millions all over China...

Beijing Police Checking People's Phones For Social Media Apps Amid
Mass Protests: Report

Mass protests against China's 'zero-covid' policy have spread to Hong
Kong, after demonstrators on the mainland began demanding that
President Xi Jinping resign.
Protesters hold blank pieces of paper in Beijing on Sunday. Photo:
Bloomberg via Getty Images

Around 50 students at the Chinese University of Hong Kong were
pictured chanting "No PCR tests but freedom!" and "Opposed
dictatorship, don't be slaves!" while holding up blank pieces of paper
- which have become a symbol of protest against China's clampdown on
freedom of expression, according to Axios. The blank paper protests
were previously seen during the Hong Kong protests in 2020, and
earlier this year during demonstrations against the Russian invasion
of Ukraine.
Protesters hold up blank white papers during a commemoration for
victims of a recent Urumqi deadly fire in Central in Hong Kong,
Monday, Nov. 28, 2022. (AP Photo/Kanis Leung)

    “We are not foreign forces! We are Chinese youth!”
pic.twitter.com/QraYzybqPR
    — Xinqi Su 蘇昕琪 (@XinqiSu) November 28, 2022

Anti-lockdown protests spread throughout several cities over the
weekend, including Beijing, Shanghai and Wuhan - which were largely
muted on Monday after police moved out in force.

Meanwhile, police in Beijing, Shanghai and Hangzhou have reportedly
been checking the phones of random citizens to look for unapproved
social media apps. If they found Twitter or Telegram, the personal
information would be taken down and the person would receive a
warning. Any resistance would be met with a report, according to DW
News correspondent William Yang.

    Updates: police in Beijing, Shanghai and Hangzhou have all
reportedly been checking people’s phones. #China
https://t.co/VIxUhtoAct
    — William Yang (@WilliamYang120) November 28, 2022

On Monday, a BBC reporter who was arrested over the weekend while
covering the protests reported that police were checking people's
phones for photos, and forcing people to delete them (or have them
deleted).

    People being forced to delete photos by the police today at the of
the last two days of protests #shanghai #china
pic.twitter.com/VS1kFSoh3x
    — Edward Lawrence (@EP_Lawrence) November 28, 2022

country has been "making adjustments" to Covid protocols "based on
realities on the ground." This follows a statement out of Beijing
earlier in the month in which the CCP said they would "unswervingly
adhere" to their zero-Covid policy, but would make it less disruptive.

"We will protect people's lives and health to the greatest extent and
minimize the impact of the epidemic on economic and social
development," said CCP officials, adding "But recent spikes in Covid
cases have prompted cities to tighten protocols."

On Monday Spokesperson Zhao Lijian said that China is actively
implementing the 9th version of the pandemic protocols.

"We believe that, with the leadership of China's Communist Party and
the cooperation and support of all Chinese people, our fight against
COVID-19 will be successful," he told reporters.

    China's Foreign Ministry spokesperson said the country has been
“making adjustments” to its Covid protocols “based on realities on the
ground,” despite the public anger across the country over its
stringent Covid Zero policy https://t.co/OmnBHyj5Us
pic.twitter.com/xDbzKXu8hg
    — Bloomberg Quicktake (@Quicktake) November 28, 2022

Meanwhile, Apple is helping the CCP:

    Apple has released a software update limiting the use of AirDrop
in China in light of recent protests.

    AirDrop was being used by protesters to transmit info directly
phone to phone, bypassing the Great Firewall of China.
pic.twitter.com/2UNtOeuTBZ
    — Whole Mars Catalog (@WholeMarsBlog) November 28, 2022