[ot)[crazy] dissociated weeping regarding communication censorship

Mon Nov 21 08:12:41 PST 2022

here we go!
https://twitter.com/it_czas_dzialac/status/1593211184324673537?s=20&t=zoPFhajW-cteHaPAyj2Dmg

Internet. Czas działać! 🌎
@it_czas_dzialac
·
Nov 17
Replying to
@xkcd
Discord doesn't have user-run instances. They have groups that they
wrongly call "Servers".

Mastodon should have a check in both the "User-run instances" and
"Doesn't require central server" rows. It's no less decentralized than
IRC.
2
1
41

Daniel Morgenstern @dmstern at berlin.social
@d_mstern
·
Nov 17
Replying to
@it_czas_dzialac
 and
@xkcd
This!!! 🙏 Non-techies seem to think they have control over their own
Discord "server" which is completely wrong.

All data are stored on Discord's server infrastructure and partly are
even accessible without any user-restrictions.
1
18

Next for me is this one, which strangely doesn’t mention Slack, and
strangely has no replies from other people:
DFYX
@dfyx
·
Nov 17
Replying to
@xkcd
I'd be careful with "user-run instances" for Discord and Reddit. While
there are user-moderated sub-communities, you still don't have full
control over the instance and are at the mercy of their admins (though
in practice, at least Discord seems to be pretty hands-off)
1
6

DFYX
@dfyx
·
Nov 17
Replying to
@dfyx
 and
@xkcd
Reddit used to be open source and there are a few small user-run
instances but they have stopped published their changes in 2017.