[ot][spam][random][crazy][random][crazy]

Fri Nov 18 08:32:42 PST 2022

1024

With this approach, I'm thinking of how I noted the frequencies are
basically the same: one is just evaluated in more places.

So the situation where wavelet parameters are placed into a matrix
could likely be changed to meet the goal.

It's a little confusing in that complex numbers are stored there.
Basically, each wavelet has two parameters: its real magnitude, and
its imaginary magnitude. These are then combined to produce its output
wave. Right? Wrong?

Let's find out:
- The frequency data has a real and imaginary magnitude for each frequency
- The matrices contain real and imaginary magnitudes for each
frequency/offset pair

So the wavelet is first encoded into the matrix with its 0 degree and
90 degree values stored as real and complex components.
Then the wavelet is reproduced using the real and imaginary magnitudes.

For real-valued waves, though, it's simpler, because of the complex
conjugate situation. Each 0 degree value is paired with positive and
negative 90 degree values.
The output becomes (real_magnitude * real_value - imag_magnitude *
imag_value) * 2 .

That works fine with sinusoids, I think? I think it's something like
(real_mag * cos(x) - imag_mag * sin(x)) * 2? Actually, that doesn't
look quite right. I'm testing it with numbers and it kind of looks
like changing the phase changes the frequency ...

>>> x = np.arange(16)*np.pi*4/16; ((np.cos(x) - np.sin(x))*2).round(2)
array([ 2.  ,  0.  , -2.  , -2.83, -2.  , -0.  ,  2.  ,  2.83,  2.  ,
        0.  , -2.  , -2.83, -2.  ,  0.  ,  2.  ,  2.83])

I've made a mistake, as the magnitude is now 2.83 and the period is
shorter than 2pi.

1035

when the matrix is generated for cosine, i believe the real component
is the cosine samp*freq, and the imaginary component is the sine of
samp*freq . making the spirals.

then, the input needs to phase shift that.
i'm mostly concerned with real-valued signals atm, so i can simplify the math.
the frequency magnitudes will by m_r + m_i j and m_r - m_i j
then i think in the matrix, it also has s_r + s_i j and s_r - s_i j ?

so the output sample value is (m_r + m_i j) * (s_r + s_i j) + (m_r -
m_i j) * (s_r - s_i j)
expanding
-> m_r * (s_r + s_i j) + m_i j * (s_r + s_i j) + m_r * (s_r - s_i j) -
m_i j * (s_r - s_i j)
-> m_r * s_r + m_r * s_i j + m_i j * s_r + m_i j * s_i j + m_r * s_r -
m_r * s_i j - m_i j * s_r - m_i j * s_i j
-> m_r s_r + m_r s_i j + m_i s_r j - m_i s_i + m_r s_r - m_r s_i j -
m_i s_r j + m_i s_i
-> 2 m_r s_r

ok, um, i just got that all the imaginary parts cancel. i must have
made another mistake?

- in the code, i have written that the negative frequencies are stored
in their matrices as conjugates. this makes sense because the real
value is an even function, and the imaginary value is an odd function.
- when i take an fft, i see that the frequency magnitudes are also conjugates
- in the code, i have written to subtract the imaginary product from
the real product

ok, i think i failed to handle a double negative sign in the
expansion. trying again. [1050]
-> (m_r + m_i j) * (s_r + s_i j) + (m_r - m_i j) * (s_r - s_i j)
-> m_r * (s_r + s_i j) + m_i j * (s_r + s_i j) + m_r * (s_r - s_i j) -
m_i j * (s_r - s_i j)
-> m_r * s_r + m_r * s_i j + m_i j * s_r + m_i j * s_i j + m_r * s_r -
m_r * s_i j - m_i j * s_r + m_i j * s_i j
there's the double-negative i missed. - m_i j * - s_i j == + m_i j * s_i j
-> m_r s_r + m_r s_i j + m_i s_r j - m_i s_i + m_r s_r - m_r s_i j -
m_i s_r j - m_i s_i
-> 2 m_r s_r - 2 m_i s_i

there we go. whew.

So it takes the real magnitude and multiplies that by the 0 degree
value, and the imaginary magnitude and multiplies that by the 90
degree value, and does indeed subtract the other from the one.

It's clear that works for 90 degree phases, because then we get the
-90 degree value, rather than the 0 degree value.
For 45 degree phases, it seems a little different? Maybe not?
I think the key could be related to the imaginary and complex parts of
the spectrum being already axially projected: they're already cosines
and sines. So if the phase is phi, then then the imaginary magnitude
is sin phi, and the real magnitude is cos phi.
If we imagine the wave as an actual spiral, one can finally see how
the phase comes out.
The magnitude is the coefficients of sine and cosine. The actual
magnitudes of the sine and cosine of the angle.
So multiplying them by the sine or by the cosine of the wave, can
actually reproduce it: scaling each component appropriately.

Each side of the matrix is kind of asking, how much is the cosine
scaled? and how much is the sine scaled? and then they reproduce
those.
[... then why is the wave produced via cos - sin? instead of some kind
of dot product maybe?]

[
ok .. uh .. how are real-domain waves produced.
what if the magnitude is 1.0 for both sin and cosine.
this makes for cos(time) - sin(time) ...  cos(time) - sin(time) are
going to have minima and maxima whenever their values are most
extreme, and they're in-phase, so i think this would be at 45 degrees,
not sure .. i tried some numbers and it looks like 3pi/4 is a rough
minimum. that is indeed about 45 degrees. this minimum value is
apparently -sqrt(2).
maybe there is some trigonometric identity that converts that, not sure.
but sqrt(2) is indeed the magnitude of [1,1]. so that's the right
magnitude. and then 45 degrees is the right phase.
it's interesting that x*cos(t) - y*sin(t) projects on time that way,
making a sine wave with phase equal to atan2(y, x) and magnitude equal
to sqrt(x*x+y*y). although i only checked with 45 degrees, this is
apparently true since the fourier transform assumes it.
]
it would help me figure this out to understand why that happens: why
it is that x *cos(t) - y*sin(t) makes a real-domain sine wave with
phase == atan2(y, x).
I guess I could think of it as a linear interpolation across 90 degrees.
Considering that, I can almost see how it might work. We can think of
sin(t) == 0 point as one projection line, and the cos(t) == 0 point as
another projection line. It interpolates in a circular manner,
projecting between these.
Let's see, um ... so it starts at sin(t) == 0, and here it projects
solely the cosine component.
As it moves from sin(t) == 0, increasing t until cos(t) == 0, the
projection changes.
The cosine component reduces, and the sine component increases. The
amounts these happen are exactly proportional to the orthographic
projection of a circle, cylinder, or spiral, when viewed from the side
and rotated.

So, two things are changing. "t" is changing as we move from sin(t)=0
to cos(t)=0. At the same time, "phi" changes as we change the phase fo
the wave from m_s = 0 to m_c = 0; that is, from sin(phi) = 0 to
cos(phi) = 0. Each of these projections is the X and Y coordinates of
an angle.

[uhhhhh !!!]
so we might think of the angle as a rod sticking out of a center. It's
projected onto two dimensions: the X axis and the Y axis. Each of
these two values is two views of the same rod reprsenting the angle.
This rod could instead be a point along a spiral, or a plane cutting a
cylinder. The cylinder view could overlay a view of the wvae, but I'm
not yet sure if that choice helps things line up.

Then when we move across time, the same thing is happening. There is
some rod, that is now spinning with angle t, and if the wave is
charted we see its Y or X coordinate move up and down. We only see one
projection of this one, but it is calculated from both.

it is so hard to hold these things in my mind.

OK, so that X or Y coordinate is made from an underlying X or Y
coordinate used to calculate it. There is a "model wave" that might
better be considered something other than a wave for this, that has
_both_ X and Y coordinates. These X and Y coordinate values help it
track where it is.

grrrrrr

ok um

3 parts
- the magnitude and phase
- the model wave
- the actual wave

for the magnitude, we have the X and Y coordinates. We can view it
from the X axis, or from the Y.
for the model wave, we also have the X and Y coordinates at every point
the actual wave is X_mag * X_model - Y_mag * Y_model

  one thing we can think of is how the phases line up
  as X_mag goes to 0, this means that the phase is entering all of the
Y_mag space
  this aligns with where Y_model is 0 or 1
  i've written and looked at that repeatedly

  if we are at a shallow angle, say X_mag is small and Y_mag is big
  this means we are only a bit off from being aligned with X_model
  so, X_model has a little bit, but it is mostly Y_model
  so what's key here is that X_mag is the cosine of phi
  and Y_mag is the sine of phi
  whereas X_model is the cosine of time
  and Y_model is the sine of time

then after that: sines and cosines are orthogonal projections of rotations.
i'm having a lot of inhibition around this conclusion and i'm not sure
all the parts are present enough to write enough logical steps to
retain it.
but i know there is a way.

so not only are X_mag and Y_mag the cosine and sine of phi, the wave
phase, they are also the X and Y projections of it, and can be used to
scale something into that angle. They can also be used to perform
those orthogonal projections, or to rotate and scale an axial vector
into their space.

well, skipping a lot of projection, i tried websearching for "rotation
formula" and found cos theta - sin theta .
basically, multiplying an axis by cos theta - sin theta projects a
rotation of a vector lying in that axis, of theta, back onto the axis.

so no longer a need for projection planes that spin at 90 degree
offsets around cylinders and spirals and rods.

so what this result, 2(cos phi * cos t - sin phi * sin t) is doing, is
rotating the real component of the wave by phi and by t both, treating
it as a 2-dimension vector.

so if my square wave spews out a step function, that step function
will be treated as a vector to then be rotated and reprojected. it's
not really accurate to use just the step function, when the phase
shifting is still mag_x * wave(t) - mag_y * wave(t+0.25) . and this
linear product is performed in the matrix multiplication, so if i were
to draft massaging it into sinusoidal space then back to square wave
space, it would presently add code outside the implementation
functions.

the phase change is made by applying the rotation function to the
sampled model wave, and directly taking and using the output.

phase change is made by applying the rotation function (cos * a - sin
* b) to the sampled model wave, and directly taking and using the
output.

I think this means that as the phase is changed, the output wave will
actually smoothly slide up and down, if it's a step function!

For my idea of using square waves or step functions, I imagine a phase
change shifting them left and right, not sliding them up and down.

This makes it relatively clear that non-sinusoid wave models would
probably want a different matrix, in this approach, because how the
multiplication is done assumes that rotating the model samples
produces phase shift.

[
Thinking about this, one can see how the meaning of complex
multiplication is angle addition, by seeing how distributed
multiplication (a + bi)(c + di) makes a rotation matrix as its
expansion.
]