XMR vs. BTC

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 19:35:29 PST 2022

On 08/11/2022 22:05, hideakisasaki at dnmx.org wrote:

> With Bitcoin being created as a byproduct of this mailing list

Bitcoin was, very loosely speaking, a byproduct of the cryptography list.

It was in no way a byproduct the cypherpunks list.

It was/is also a piece of scam which doesn't scale enough to be a
currency, which wastes carbon-emitting resources, and which doesn't
provide reliable anonymity.

Beautiful structure and coding though. And starting off by providing
such a good a reference implementation ...

Punk once claimed Bitcoin was created by the man. I don't take much
notice of Punk's claims (though if we aren't looking for such attacks -
"paranoid" - we shouldn't be in this game), but who else but the man was
that good at writing code?

> Does XMR solve the problems of Bitcoin?

No. Even with Seraphis it still isn't reliably anonymous. It wastes
carbon-dioxide producing resources. And it doesn't scale.

It may be a step or two in the right direction, but I don't know enough
about it (and what it may develop into) to say for sure. It has a
loooooonng way to go though before it gets really good though.

Peter Fairbrother