Alliance for Innovative Regulation

Gunnar Larson g at xny.io
Thu May 19 11:20:25 PDT 2022

https://regulationinnovation.org/team/jo-ann-barefoot/

Jo Ann BarefootFounder & CEO

Jo Ann Barefoot is CEO & Founder of AIR - the Alliance for Innovative
Regulation, Cofounder of Hummingbird Regtech, and host of the podcast show
Barefoot Innovation. A noted advocate of “regulation innovation,” Jo Ann is
Senior Fellow Emerita at the Harvard Kennedy School Center for Business &
Government. She has been Deputy Comptroller of the Currency, partner at
KPMG, Co-Chairman of Treliant Risk Advisors, and staff member at the U.S.
Senate Banking Committee. She’s an angel investor, serves on the board of
Oportun, serves on the fintech advisory committee for FINRA, is a member of
the Milken Institute U.S. FinTech Advisory Committee, and is a member of
the California Blockchain Working Group Advisory Board. Jo Ann chairs the
board of directors of FinRegLab, previously chaired the board of the
Financial Health Network, and previously served on the CFPB’s Consumer
Advisory Board. In 2020 Jo Ann was inducted into the Fintech Hall of Fame
by CB Insights.

My work centers on convergence, the places where disparate currents flow
together and form something new. At Barefoot Innovation Group, we are
finding better solutions for financial consumers at the confluence of
technology, markets, demographics, cultures, science, the arts, global
poverty reduction, and, crucially, regulation. As part of this search we
discovered the need for my new nonprofit, AIR - the Alliance for Innovative
Regulation. Transformation is coming — Fintech, Regtech, and “regulation
innovation.” Here are some of the connections I’ve put together in my life.
I am:

   - CEO and Cofounder of AIR - the Alliance for Innovative Regulation
   - CEO of Barefoot Innovation Group
   - Senior Fellow Emerita at Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of
   - Government’s Center for Business & Government.
   - Publishing a Harvard Kennedy School M-RCBG Associate Working Paper
   series on regulation innovation and working on a book on it as well
   - Host of the global podcast show Barefoot Innovation.
   - Co-founder of Hummingbird Regtech, designing software to fight
   financial crime.
   - A global public speaker, reaching thousands of people throughout the
   world each year including with my speech, Never Fear.
   - Board member at Oportun.
   - Chair of the board of FinRegLab.
   - An angel investor and an adviser to fintech startups.
   - A convener of roundtables and cross-pollination of ideas.
   - An original member of the CFPB’s Consumer Advisory Board.
   - Former chair of the board of the Financial Health Network.
   - Board member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC).
   - Member of the Milken Institute FinTech Advisory Committee.
   - Member of the fintech committee of FINRA
   - Member of the California Blockchain Working Group Advisory Board.
   - Author of several books and nearly 200 articles and contributor to
   Forbes.
   - Author of major white papers, including the Regtech Manifesto.
   - Media source, frequent podcast guest, and expert witness at hearings
   of Congress and federal agencies.
   - The first woman to serve as Deputy Comptroller of the Currency, where
   I led the OCC’s original consumer protection unit and later directed new
   media, Congressional and interagency relationships, including for the
   Comptroller’s role on the board of the FDIC.
   - Former Staff Member at the U.S. Senate Banking Committee.
   - Former Co-Chair of the consulting firm Treliant Risk Advisers.
   - Former Partner and Managing Director at KPMG, heading consumer
   financial regulatory and privacy advisory teams.
   - A serial entrepreneur, starting several consulting and technology
   firms.
   - Former Director of Mortgage Finance for the National Association of
   Realtors, and researcher at the Department of Housing and Urban Development
   and Federal Home Loan Bank Board.
   - Volunteer leader in conservation, education, women’s opportunity and
   the arts. I have chaired the global Trustee Council of the Nature
   Conservancy and founded its initiative on Trustees Without Borders;
   previously chaired the boards of trustees of the Ohio Nature Conservancy
   and Hiram College; served on the Council of Board Chairs of the Association
   of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges, and serve on the Board of
   the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership.
   - I’m a National Advisory Board member of the National Museum of Women
   in the Arts. I have been an International Visitor to the European Community
   and worked in distressed villages in rural India.

I love adventure and challenge. I’ve raised three amazing kids. I've
fly-fished on five continents. I’ve searched for wolves in the Arctic. I’ve
crisscrossed Alaska in small planes. I’ve been charged by an Alaska brown
bear. I’ve been in a sinking boat in the dark on a lake in Chile. I’ve
worked in leprosy villages in India. I’ve run a marathon. I’ve started
several businesses. I’ve written two novels -- my creative writing has won
national recognition. I once spent four days and three nights on a
mountain, solo, with no tent, fasting. I've faced 130 degree heat and minus
40 cold. I’ve lived in the inner city and been a crime victim multiple
times. My home is now on a mountain in the southwest with the wild
creatures including, once, a thousand elk. I’ve traveled a mountain road
alone under a full moon with a herd of wild horses. I am (for my age) a
fearless early adopter of technology. I love artists and rebels and
inventors and unconventional people. I’ve beaten polio and cancer. I know
technology has saved my life. It’s an eclectic mix. Convergences
everywhere, filled with discovery. Current non-profit affiliations: Center
for Financial Services Innovation The Nature Conservancy Hiram College