[ot][wrong] Please let me sleep outdoors in the coldest winter. Was: Re: PLEASE LET ME SLEEP OUTDOORS

Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of Many gmkarl at gmail.com
Thu May 12 08:13:15 PDT 2022

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022, 4:36 PM Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of
Many <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2022-03-21 thru 2022-03-27: [X] Week 1 of Wim Hof Cold Protocol, 30
> seconds cold water daily. Performed indoors.
>
> 2022-03-28 thru 2022-04-12: [ ] it simply got harder and harder to shower
> at all as I stretched the cold water time toward 1:30 in week 2 and
> discovered my water could be made colder than I had had it before
>
> 2022-04-14 thru 2022-04-15: [X] Custom protocol reacclimation, ramped up
> in five second intervals from 5 seconds to 30 seconds, every time I ate
>
> 2022-04-16 thru 2022-04-22: [X] Ramped up from 35 seconds through 60
> seconds, in 5 second intervals, every time I ate
>
> > 2022-04-22 1930 ET: [X] 65 seconds
>

> 2022-04-23 1130 ET: [X] 1:05
>
> Still harder than last month. But I'm feeling confident with my
> consistency.
>
> My funny experiences stepped in around when 60-65 seconds hit. I fumbled
> the timer and did it a few seconds longer than planned, and they came in
> and it felt really cold suddenly.
>
> 2022-04-23 1714 ET: [X] 1:05 cold water, indoors, no food, no cookie
> difficulty: easy-medium
>
> I thought I'd stop eating immediately with showering to get myself to do
> it, if it seemed reasonable, since the instructions said not to do the
> breathing it seemed there was likely value around not needing the food.
>
> In retrospect it was a bad time to stop a reinforcement because the first
> 4-5 timing devices I tried for measuring the time had mysteriously stopped
> functioning in some way or another. So I'm on the raspberry pi now instead
> of a phone, for editing this email.
>
> The shower wasn't too hard, but the difficulty timing it is worrisome.
> Gotta keep it smooth and continuing. I was happy going some seconds over
> the time.
>
> 2022-04-24 0907 ET: [X] 1:05 cold water, food after completion, indoors
> Difficulty: easy-medium
>
> Refraining from eating until afterward.
>
> It takes a little conscious effort to adapt to the cold water when it
> turns cold, which is interesting.
>
> Weather is warming and air is getting warmer. Thinking of keeping ice near
> the shower to cool the air a little.
>
> Upping time to 1:10 .
>
> 2022-04-24 1416 ET: [X] 1:10 cold water, food after, indoors
> Difficulty: medium
>
> 2022-04-24 1809 ET: [X] 1:10 cold water, food after, indoors
> Difficulty: medium
>
> I was anxious and stayed in the warm water first for some time. Then
> turned it cold and used that nascent willpower to handle the chill.
>
> The ability to direct my attitude around the temperature has been
> developing slowly and shakily. I've had a big problem with willpower;
> engaging it can cause psychotic issues. But here it's been gently growing
> in part of me, feeling different from the big issues. Very rare and hopeful.
>
> I got cold in the water and got goosebumps this time. The alarm went off
> and I tried to consciously engage the attitude thing again, and with huge
> [...]

2022-04-30 0628 ET: [X] 1:20 cold water before food, indoors, easy-medium

I had a rough day yesterday and for the first time this round ate without
showering. It is quite inspiring to do this again.

2022-04-30 1542 ET: [X] 1:25 before food, indoors, easy-medium

It's almost easy, and I upped by five seconds !

Thinking on trying to move back to doing this in the morning without food,
quite unsure of this. Maybe the food is still important, unsure.

2022-04-30 1831 ET: [X] 1:25 before food, indoors, easy-medium

2022-05-01 0814 ET: [X] 1:25, indoors, easy-medium

I figure I'll have a breakfast afterward and that will be my food.

The shock at the start is finally getting easier again.

I think I can up the time easily but I want to see if I can get back to
once a day without food.

2022-05-01 1104 ET: [X] 1:25 + 30, indoors with food, easy-medium

It felt fun at some points again! Also I accidentally went 30 seconds over.

I went outdoors and read the preface of the book. It turns out the
technique can help with autoimmune and possibly mental health issues. So
I'm trying to be a little more careful as thinking this could possibly
stimulate my inhibitions around it much more.

When I went outdoors, I had heard it was 60+ degrees F. It felt like 60+.
Turns out it was supposed to be in the 40s, 60 was later in the day. I
didn't mind, I was in a t shirt! I kind of think there was a warmer area
here, but it could also be this practice making 40 feel like 60 to me.

2022-05-01 1532 ET: [X] 1:30, no immediate food, indoors, medium

I left the water because I felt cold. I barely noticed I was doing this. I
got back under. Big icecream headache at the end.

I took a long warm shower prior.

Thinking of spending at least 5 days at 1:30, like the original protocol
recommended.

Thinking of having a meal now, after.

2022-05-01 1854 ET: [X] 1:30 with food, indoors, medium

It's funny that 1:30 is seeming so much colder than 1:25 when I did 1:25+30
pretty easily, but this time I think it's probably because I'm getting used
to the sudden cold at the start, so I'm taking a shorter warm shower prior.

There's value around doing it slowly. A lot of variables can change, to
learn to adapt to. That is, assuming you have a psychotic dissociative
willpower disorder.

2022-05-02 0834 ET: [X] 1:30 cold water with food and cookie, indoors,
medium-easy

I imagined that cold showers were harmful to the economy, and worried it
could get harder to continue, imagining this, I made it easier. I made warm
food, and had a cookie with the cold water.

It's much easier at the start, when the water initially turns cold, and is
getting harder toward the end, where it used to be easy last week, around a
minute in.

I accidentally went to leave the cold water again due to the cold, and had
to use my coping strategies to stay.

Each part of you has different degrees of cold, depending on how you expose
it. I like focusing on my face, I think I sometimes feel discomfort in my
face during the winter and it would be nice to improve.

2022-05-03 1249 ET: [X+2] 1:30 cold water, indoors, with food
difficulty: medium-easy

I didn't update for a few.

It's getting easier as I persist.

I often feel warmer in the icy water, than in the cool air before and
after, strangely. I might be shivering a little, and stop shivering during
the shower. Somewhat strange. Maybe partly psychological.

2022-05-03 1653 ET: [X] 1:30 cold water with food, indoors, medium-easy

I've generally been chilly throughout the day, and experience psychological
pressure associated with that sensation. It's interesting to do the showers
during this. I might spend a little time in the warm water, thinking it is
to help me warm up, and then shift my thinking and turn it cold, and have
this chilly water, much colder than the air, feel much easier to be covered
in due to the familiarity of the experience.

Still looking forward to having more strength to engage sensations of cold
outside of the cold shower. Often I imagine making time to read the book
more, but maybe I could find my own ways, too, unsure.

Still gotta look up what that "horse stance" is, and resme the breathing
attempts.

2022-05-04 0824 ET: [X] 1:30 cold water with food and cookie, indoors
difficulty: easy

it's still hard to start but no icecream headache this time or anything :)

it is notable that the air is much warmer. i'm not entering it cold this
morning or anything, like I was earlier.

2022-05-04 1106 ET: [X] 1:35 with food and cookie, indoors,
difficulty:medium

I did almost no warm water as I was in a rush. big icecream headache !
somewhat invigorating again !!

2022-05-05 0815 ET: [X] 1:35 with food and sugar scone, indoors,
difficulty: easy

I visited some doctors yesterday a side effect of which was my psychology
underwent a change, as it can. Things were working differently and I did
not eat supper yesterday.

This morning the water didn't even feel cold. It was a little hard at the
start, the suddenness, but I didn't spend time in warm water first, and
then I didn't feel cold under the cold water. I was honestly wondering if
the cold water was still cold at all -- maybe the warmer weather had warmed
the water supply -- but it was morning, so that didn't seem that likely.

It rained for a couple days the past two days, could relate to water supply.

Anyway it seems it makes sense to try to get back onto the week schedule
for this somehow, even if I still have the food crutch now.

2022-05-05
I missed at least one 1:35 cold water here. Judging by the log looked like
I missed 2-3, strange.

2022-05-06 0917 ET: [X] 1:40+2:00 cold water, indoors, before food

I've gotten a rash and took time in the cold water to bathe.

I'm thinking that wim hof recommends 1-2 minutes _per day_ in this phase,
and showering too much could cause other issues.

I'm going to try to drop the showers to 1/day, before I eat anything for
the day.

2022-05-06 1800 ET: [X] 1:40 cold water

It's actually gotten quite hard not to do these.

I was thinking of what the book said about vascular tissue, and how it
implied it is the change between warm and cold that is important, but also
how it said you can also go down to 50 deg F to get that change.

Dunno. I took more of a warm shower and warmed parts of me up before making
them cold, thinking of this. This also made it psychologically easier. I
think it is more than just a thin layer of vessels on the skin. There are a
lot of layers of temperature within me.

2022-05-07 0713 ET: [X] 1:40 cold water

Note: +5 seconds every 2-3 times is unreasonably slow with the goal of once
a day. Maybe raise to 15 seconds or such, 10-20.

2022-05-08 0707 ET: [x] 1:40 cold water with food after

Bumping to 1:45 . There's only 20 seconds let to the goal of 2:00, so.

2022-05-07 or 08 : I think I did this a second time, and failed to note it.
Not sure.

2022-08-09: 1104 ET: [X] 1:45, easy but with trepidation and shock

2022-08-10: 0910 ET: [X] 1:45, easy

Upping to 150. It's great this is finally getting easy again.  Time
increases have been having a smaller impact after 1:35 or so.

2022-05-11: 1935 ET: [X] 1:50, medium-easy, very warm day, food after

I didn't eat (or almost move) for most of the whole day. Finally I am doing
this before eating :)

Upped the time to 1:55. Excited to do a week of 2:00 to move on to
whatever's next.

2022-05-12: 0659 ET: [X] 1:50, easy, warm day, with food.

I ended up finding/using a way to charge my phone up some again to add this
to this draft.

Erred and did 1:50 instead of 1:55. 1:55 next time.

There's a lot of worry around experiencing difficulty doing this kind of
before I start. I think resumite sugar cookie could help with that. I'm out
of them.

Regarding the warm days, I guess I'll have to deal with that come autumn.

2022-05-12: 1111 ET: [X] 1:50 again. hard. warm day, water very cold.

It was so cold. I kind of stood there and focused on relaxing, and I think
I could have gone longer but it didn't feel nice this time for sure,
although on rethinking I can change that perception.

I wonder if later in the day, after more water has run, the water can get
colder.