Coronavirus: Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed May 11 00:38:36 PDT 2022

Lock themselves down? Never...

COVID Cases Explode After White House Media Dinner Becomes Superspreader Event

Cases of Covid-19 among attendees to the White House correspondents'
dinner two weekends ago continue to mount, as the fully vaccinated and
boosted 'elites' who condescended to non-compliant Americans
participated in a superspreader event.

As The Hill notes, "High-profile cases following the dinner include
ABC reporter Jonathan Karl, Secretary of State Antony Blinken, and
reporters from The Washington Post, Voice of America and other
outlets."

    There is no exact count, and it is not clear which dinner
attendees contracted the virus at the dinner itself or at one of the
many parties last weekend surrounding it.

    But the string of reported cases does emphasize the point that
even as the country seeks to move on from the virus, large indoor
gatherings do carry some risk.

    The cases have also played into an ongoing debate, with some
arguing that the current era of COVID-19 allows vaccinated and boosted
people to decide to attend large gatherings even if it means a small
risk, while others are more cautious, pointing to the downstream
effects on other people of increased transmission. -The Hill

No - it's not a debate over whether large gatherings are a good idea
since the dominant strain of Covid is only slightly more deadly than
the common cold and the vast majority of people will make it through
Covid-19 without issue. The point is that those who refused to play
the lockdown game were chastised by the very people at this
superspreader event.

"I’m yet another [White House Correspondents’ Association] weekend
casualty," tweeted Puck News correspondent Julia Ioffe. "I knew I was
taking a risk and, well, here we are!"

    And yes, I’m yet another #WHCA weekend casualty. I knew I was
taking a risk and, well, here we are!
    — Julia Ioffe (@juliaioffe) May 4, 2022

WaPo journalist Jada Yuan tweeted that she had tested positive, then
felt obligated to condescend over how people should conduct themselves
to avoid her mistake.

"Hindsight and all that, but wear a mask or leave or tell your
employer you can’t go if you’re in a situation where you feel
uncomfortable," she tweeted, adding "Those consequences are usually
better than the ones you’ll face if you get sick."

According to White House Correspondents’ Association President Steven
Portnoy, "We worked hard to publicize our protocols and encouraged
those eligible to get booster shots in the weeks leading up to the
dinner," adding "Our event implemented protocols that went beyond any
guidance or regulation issued by the CDC or the DC health department.
We wish anyone who may not be feeling well a speedy recovery."