War re Ukraine: Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun May 8 14:31:35 PDT 2022

https://www.change.org/p/save-mariupol-192ea846-9fe1-476c-bb72-5474538c7c06
https://www.change.org/p/save-mariupol-71185d02-b260-4525-91ef-7f46add880c7/u/30520015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmRWPOoESGQ Press Conference Azovstal

On May 8, a press conference was held with the soldiers who hold the
azovstal defense in the Ukrainian Mariupol. On the territory of the
plant remain blocked Ukrainian military, which from the first days of
a full-scale war defend the city. The soldiers say that they hope for
a miracle, and ask everyone to make every effort to evacuate the
military. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy reported that work is underway
to find diplomatic options for saving our military, which remain on
Azovstal. Influential mediators and states are involved. Link to the
petition for the UN to convene the General Assembly and rescue
Ukrainian fighters and civilians from the Azovstal plant:
https://cutt.ly/NG8FjZR

Journalists and editors Hromadske continue to work in each region of
the war-disrupted country. They continue to work from improvised
offices, shelters, and bunkers. We do so because our weapon now is the
truth. Subscribe to us so as not to miss the main news of Ukraine and
the world:
https://www.youtube.com/user/HromadskeTV
https://hromadske.ua/

"
SAVE MARIUPOL
Kitty Prokhorenko started this petition to https://www.un.org/ and 1 other.

May 6, 2022

We, the undersigned activists, non-governmental and non-profit
organizations, politicians and celebrities, call on the United
Nations, and in particular the Secretary-General of the United
Nations, and regional leaders from around the world to launch an
urgent "extraction" procedure, namely:

1 To resume the eleventh special session of the UN General Assembly
for consideration of the humanitarian situation in Mariupol resulting
from the aggression against Ukraine.

2. We demand that the General Assembly adopt a resolution obliging the
Russian Federation, the aggressor country, to ensure the evacuation of
all people to the territory controlled by the Ukrainian government or
to the territory of third safe countries.

3. We call on all world leaders to take all necessary measures to
ensure and implement the resolution, and to act as guarantors of
security.

The civilian population, as well as the soldiers defending the city,
are experiencing inhumane conditions: a number of world leaders have
already recognized the actions of the aggressor's country as genocide
of the Ukrainian people. The Armed Forces of the Russian Federation
continue to violate the rules of war, which is already partially
reflected in the UN General Assembly Resolution of April 7, 2022 on
the suspension of membership rights of the Russian Federation in the
Human Rights Council. The enemy violates the rules of warfare, uses
non-traditional weapons, regularly and purposefully attacks the
locations of civilians, wounded servicemen, the bodies of fallen
servicemen.

Despite the inhumane conditions, the Ukrainian military controls the
territory of the Azovstal plant, which, in particular, serves as a
shelter for civilians and the wounded. Such conditions are a real
humanitarian catastrophe, artificially created by the Russian
Federation. There is a significant shortage of food, medicine, hygiene
and personal protective equipment in the city. Due to the total damage
to infrastructure and housing, the city of Mariupol no longer exists.

Now the time is running out, the occupiers have partially broken into
the territory of the Azovstal plant, every minute of delay could cost
huge losses to all those who found shelter on the territory of the
plant.

We call on the United Nations, the UN Secretary-General, and regional
leaders around the world to begin an immediate "extraction" procedure
of the evacuation of civilians, all wounded, the bodies of the fallen
and Ukrainian servicemen from blockaded Mariupol.

With the immediate help of international figures, we still have the
opportunity to save people's lives.
We call for decisive action by the international community to:

• provide an urgent ceasefire with guarantees from both sides in Mariupol;

• organize immediate monitoring of compliance with the ceasefire by a
third party;

• organize the maritime evacuation of civilians and Ukrainian
servicemen to the territory controlled by the Ukrainian government or
to the territory of a third intermediary state. Maritime evacuation
may be accompanied by a land humanitarian corridor for civilians and
the Ukrainian military to territory controlled by the Ukrainian
government or to a third intermediary state.
"