Apple, Google, and Microsoft team up for new password-free technology

Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of Many gmkarl at gmail.com
Fri May 6 13:01:40 PDT 2022

This seems like a lot of specs for an amnesiac like me to catch up on
from such a non-technical article (specs at e.g.
https://fidoalliance.org/specifications/ but i'm unsure what specific
suite people are agreeing upon).

It appears like this _might_ or _might not_ give FIDO access to
everybody's accounts on every device. One would expect a push for a
cloud solution to ease private key management, which past solutions
have done. But I haven't reviewed it in depth to see if this is
definitely the case.

I'm very curious if this is good or bad news.

It's certainly great if private keys are becoming a norm for logins.
Whether or not there is provision for privately generated and managed
keys, and how easy it is to use the services that way, directly
relates to whether this is increased freedom or increased
totalitarianism.

Basically we need a way to keep our logins separate from corruption
within governments. Making everything based on private keys makes that
space of conflict much more direct.

These approaches are in gentle conflict with burgeoning web3
solutions, where keys are generated on-device based on private user
passphrases, without need for storage of them.