[ot][spam][crazy] The Trials of Controlling a Programmer

Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of Many gmkarl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 14:42:19 PDT 2022

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022, 5:34 PM Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of
Many <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, this isn't really using a programmer at the moment, but spamlogging
> this kind of perception can often resolve it.
>
> I'm trying to write assembler so that my bios post codes are written to my
> serial port.
>
> I spent many days fixing things to try to debug it. I presently have two
> implementations. One works, the other doesn't.
>
> However, it seems the two implementations are exactly identical, as far as
> I can tell.
>
> The working one was slowly migrated from code that worked already.
>
> The failing one was copied over by me earlier.
>
> I've mutated them to be identical, and the failing one is still failing,
> while the working one is still working.
>
> I had the working one preceding the failing one, and only one character
> was output.
>
> When I duplicate the working one, there are two characters. When I remove
> it, there is one.

*when I remove it, there anone.

> But get this: when I copy-paste the failing one to come before the working
> one, I get an additional character from that.
>
> You'd think it would be something after the working one, and before the
> failing one, but they appear completely identical.
>
> Since writing your own bios is an unlikely task to complete in a timely
> manner without experience, it seems to make sense to try to troubleshoot
> this further.
>
> I'm not planning on investigating the per-clock-tick behavior of the cpu.
> But I am interesting in finding a property of the source code that
> distinguishes whether or not it works when run. If that property is where
> its source code bytes came from, that would be interesting. In such
> situations one can seem very likely to experience a delusion, which are
> also helpful to sort out.
>
> I'm logging the terminal output of the development and run system, and the
> serial system accessing it, and both systems are airgapped. So there's
> something to check what is real at least a little bit more.

0539
I copied the working block below the failing block.

The blocks are now:
1 copied from failing
2 working blocks
1 original failing block
1 working block

This is producing 4 characters of output, from 5 identical blocks. A
working theory is that only the original failing block is failing, which
can be tested by removing it. An alternative theory could be that only the
last block is failing. A tertiary theory could be that a different block is
failing each time, or that it the unexpected output is unrelated to failure
of a block.

As I type this I will likely make errors from my perception issues.