P2P: Lantern App, Yinbi, etc Circumvention Russia

Karl Semich 0xloem at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 11:00:40 PDT 2022

yin.bi did not load for me via clearnet, google translate, nor archive.org
(i'm in vt, usa, and experience increased poorly-explained device and
network glitches after a political thing)

it looks like lantern was an open source app that went closed source three
years ago, not sure. the github page of binaries and archives is offered in
chinese, english, and russian (I think?) which is rare to see in my opinion.

I installed the app, then read their user agreement which makes claims
about their ability to protect user privacy that do not look reasonable, so
I didn't use it. It looks like an attempt to strike a middle-ground between
govcorp and grassroots to defeat censorship and protect privacy within some
unspoken but workable bounds.