We missed Dan Kaminsky

Karl Semich 0xloem at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 03:43:55 PDT 2022

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022, 12:35 AM Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com> wrote:

> On 3/16/22 23:28, Karl Semich wrote:
> > For others,
> >
> > I was excited readin this product name, but the product does not appear
> > to be actual libre hardware or software at all (no source links), but
> > rather just a product name.
>
> For better or worse, most medical hardware like this isn't. I hope I
> never need one of the things, but I'd like an option that has less
> tedious and odious options than an Android (or, blech, iOS) app blob. I
> already have to deal with enough proprietary apps as it is.

I imagine any free hacker with a personal medical device would be reverse
engineering it to get under the hood and customise it, like people do with
their vehicles.

The one time I went to defcon they had a workshop on medical device
hacking, although I didn't make that workshop.

(re my old defcon trip, the radio stuff I glimpsed was really great.
cryptography workshop was very basic but ended with a real live keysigning
party. the talk about exploits where everybody was supposed to disable
their phones had people with phones out recording it. there was other stuff
supporting important norms. somewhat expensive, free community gatherings
likely more important, suspect the big ones are outside the usa.)