[spam][julia][wrong] Probabilistic Program Synthesis?

Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of Many gmkarl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 06:32:52 PST 2022

okay, "probabilistic programming" is totally different from "program
synthesis".  ha!

Hey, this thing looks cool. It comes with a multimedia presentation video too.

https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3485538

APIfix: output-oriented program synthesis for combating breaking
changes in libraries

Abstract

Use of third-party libraries is extremely common in application
software. The libraries evolve to accommodate new features or mitigate
security vulnerabilities, thereby breaking the Application Programming
Interface(API) used by the software. Such breaking changes in the
libraries may discourage client code from using the new library
versions thereby keeping the application vulnerable and not
up-to-date. We propose a novel output-oriented program synthesis
algorithm to automate API usage adaptations via program
transformation. Our aim is not only to rely on the few example human
adaptations of the clients from the old library version to the new
library version, since this can lead to over-fitting transformation
rules. Instead, we also rely on example usages of the new updated
library in clients, which provide valuable context for synthesizing
and applying the transformation rules. Our tool APIFix provides an
automated mechanism to transform application code using the old
library versions to code using the new library versions - thereby
achieving automated API usage adaptation to fix the effect of breaking
changes. Our evaluation shows that the transformation rules inferred
by APIFix achieve 98.7% precision and 91.5% recall. By comparing our
approach to state-of-the-art program synthesis approaches, we show
that our approach significantly reduces over-fitting while
synthesizing transformation rules for API usage adaptations.