[spam][crazy][wrong] inventing mean words

Douglas Lucas dal at riseup.net
Mon Mar 7 16:28:04 PST 2022

It's a great book, worth re-reading, even if written during Le Guin's
sorta phase where (as she herself later critiqued herself publicly in
afterwords, prefaces, etc.) she was putting male heroes into radfem-ish
worlds (especially in Left Hand of Darkness, released same year as The
Dispossessed iirc) and then she really broke free of all that with
1990's Tehanu, saying of Tehanu later something along the lines of, if
she hadn't written Tehanu, her career would have ended. I have always
really liked taking one author at a time, studying them and their
career, and then moving on to the next author, studying them and their
career, reading all their books especially the early ones or the later
ignored ones, etc. Probably could have done better than hyperfixating on
Peter Straub -- there's a really cool Publisher's Weekly article about
him as a cog in the machine somewhere -- but he was kind of the
not-quite-Stephen-King and it was sort of interesting to see in his
books/publicity how that went down across his life. And why did I have
to read Emma Straub's collection of short stories with all the shoes?
It's kinda interesting to look at the Straubs as this brownstone
literary dynasty, but I'd rather be listening to the Guns And Roses song
about Mr Brownstone. Thinking too hard is sometimes not worth it!