[log] dns/ssl misbehaviors to google today

Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of Many gmkarl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 13:39:17 PST 2022

Was stuck with this error doing a casual activity:

Downloading android ndk...                                    curl --fail
--retry 3 -o ndk.zip
https://dl.google.com/android/repository/android-ndk-r23b-linux.zip
                                      % Total    % Received % Xferd
Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
 88  691M   88  609M    0     0  67.2M      0  0:00:10  0:00:09  0:00:01
63.9M          curl: (56) OpenSSL SSL_read: error:1408F119:SSL
routines:ssl3_get_record:decryption fail
ed or bad record mac, errno 0

The error means the ssl stream has been mutated, possibly by a third party.
Note: it's hard for me to believe that, I kind of just feel it as paranoid
fear. I got it every time I tried the download, at about the same amount
into the stream.

I think there are better solutions for routing, like cjdns or something,
where connects are solid and prevent such things. Not set up with them.

$ host dl.google.com
dl.google.com has address 142.250.80.110        dl.google.com has IPv6
address 2607:f8b0:4006:80d::200e

I went on the web to get other information on the ip address of
dl.google.com and ended up at whatismyipaddress.com, which also has host
lookup.  It said the ip address was 142.250.72.238 . Since it starts with
the same two numbers, I figured it was just some load balancing system.

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 84.200.69.80

I tried each nameserver in sequence like:
$ host dl.google.com 8.8.8.8
for each one.

The first three gave the same ip address that fails for me, each request,
which seems strange to me for a load balancing system. The fourth gave a
different ip address. I have 172.217.19.238 in my scrollback history but
presently am getting 142.251.36.14 .

I moved this nameserver to the top of my list and the download finally
completed successfully. This could be a coincidence, but didn't seem one at
the time.