Hertzbleed Is A New CPU Hack Affecting Just About Everybody

Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of Many gmkarl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 06:09:42 PDT 2022

HertzBleed has been shared repeatedly now. As Jim Bell touches on, the
approach may indicate a lot more vulnerabilities, not necessarily
cryptographic ones, present in a lot of systems. New vulnerabilities.

Of course, a trained model could have already discovered HertzBleed,
since it would simply be looking for patterns in any data it was
exposed to or generating.

On 6/18/22, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>   At the time, I noticed that if I turned on the AM radio, running the
> computer caused varying bleeps and bloops to be received.  Probably then and
> before, owners of primitive PCs like Altair noticed the same thing.
> A few years later, I first heard of the idea called tempest, the practice of
> shielding computers to avoid transmitting information by radio.
> Even later, in the early 2000s, I read a (even then, old) book by ex MI-5
> person Peter wright, called Spycatcher, that described how they could
> remotely determine what radio station a radio was receiving, by detecting
> its local oscillator's frequency.  So-called heterodyne radios work by

Heterodyne radios are the norm, to clarify.

People are taught in school a common misconception that surrounding
something in a cage or box of metal will electromagnetically isolate
it. This misconception relies on various DC static physics, and is
incorrectly overinferred to apply to AC (i.e. all) electromagnetic
radiation or changing fields.

Given the context of security, and the age of the study, this common
implicit share of existing shielding being sufficiently effective for
security seems to bear similarity to the suppression of security and
cryptographic information in general, cited by others to be a common
suppression exerted by groups like the NSA.