[draft] Defeating Botnets and Trojans: Episode 1

Karl Semich 0xloem at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 01:56:34 PDT 2022

On 6/7/22, Nico Verrijdt <nicoverrijdt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Imho the operating systems we use aren't adequate.

This is traditionally done by managing one's own communications in and
out of a system in depth.

> effectively works, you implement a hashing function as early as possible in
> the compiler, then you can hash the code of the compiler and verify if the
> compiler's code changed. Then up to the operating system which you compile

There are a lot of people working on technologies that verify
executable content, it's quite exciting ideas, tough ground to move
forward.

> Privacy issues do arise with this system, but it's nothing more than in
> real life where you meet someone and say 'Hi, I'm ...', politeness,
> naivety, in this world now where the internet is totally different, not
> moral indeed.

Pseudonymity is a common solution to privacy issues.

People need a way to stay private when they are not impacting others.
When you impact others, I think it's eventual that harmful impacts
show who you are.

> And also, the internet is free, with such a system an internet with
> different speeds might be more easily made as every user is known within a
> certain time span.

I suppose the internet is free so long as we have the freedom to build
its infrastructure; we can then build it as fast as we want, like a
handmade go-cart. This takes a lot of r&d.

> I'm currently working on a blockchain of identities (
> https://github.com/nvrrdt/onzecurrency) and I'd like to continue developing
> this, so I hope the concept has a chance to succeed in its endeavor.

It's great to see a blockchain project; I glanced at the page. I'm not
familiar with the security guarantees of a blockchain that doesn't
resist a sybil attack, but I like the idea of heuristically proving
people's uniqueness in some way. I'm sure many people have considered
such things.