One of the projects I have been working on.

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Sun Jun 5 05:00:00 PDT 2022

On 05/06/2022 10:00, zeynep at keemail.me wrote:
> When Satoshi Nakamoto put it on this list,

Err, no, not here. He announced bitcoin on the cryptography list, not
the cypherpunks list. As I remember, he never posted here.

> Your goal here
> is to fool people with this stupid article and make them donate.

I saw it as a jest, but YMMV.

> The people here aren't stupid,

  though some are borderline insane, and some have gone well beyond that...

> I think most of the people on this list are currently against bitcoin.

Four big problems: transaction-wise it doesn't scale well enough to be a
useable currency, just an almost-Ponzi-style investment; it wastefully
turns a whole lot of energy and other resources into nothing useful; it
isn't properly fungible; and it isn't reliably anonymous.

Has more problems too, eg there is no mechanism to refund fraud or
error, and it is hard to do security-by-obscurity as the blockchain is
necessarily public.

> Bitcoin is no longer the agenda here.

Still on the agenda, but perhaps no longer seen as a thing to be admired?

Not that I have ever admired much more than the "he wrote code" and the
"he wrote extremely good code" of it. It's just he might have done so to
a better purpose.

Plus maybe a little cleverness, but not as much as you might think: eg
he did not invent blockchain or digital currencies or digital wallets.

Though I do wish I had bought some bitcoins early on ...

Peter Fairbrother