[spam][draft] Why Write Code?

Izaac izaac at setec.org
Sat Jun 4 08:16:03 PDT 2022

On Sat, Jun 04, 2022 at 10:42:31AM -0400, Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of Many wrote:
> everybody is using reactjs

This is what I mean.  They're not even using an actual language.
They're assembling parts.  Dewar and Schonberg's discussion of Java is
illustrative:

"The irresistible beauty of programming consists in the reduction of
complex formal processes to a very small set of primitive operations.
Java, instead of exposing this beauty, encourages the programmer to
approach problem-solving like a plumber in a hardware store: by
rummaging through a multitude of drawers (i.e. packages) we will end up
finding some gadget (i.e. class) that does roughly what we want. How it
does it is not interesting! The result is a student who knows how to put
a simple program together, but does not know how to program."

https://web.archive.org/web/20190210212517/http://www.crosstalkonline.org/storage/issue-archives/2008/200801/200801-Dewar.pdf

--