Essays: The Cypherpunk Revolutionary - Julian Assange: The Unknown Story, by Robert Manne

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 22:42:07 PDT 2022

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2011/february/1324596189/robert-manne/cypherpunk-revolutionary

The Cypherpunk Revolutionary

March 2011
By Robert Manne

Julian Assange: the unknown story

Fewer than 20 years ago Julian Assange was sleeping rough. Even a year ago
hardly anyone knew his name. Today he is one of the best-known and
most-respected human beings on earth. Assange was the overwhelming winner
of the popular vote for Time magazine’s “Person of the Year” and Le
Monde’s less politically correct “Man of the Year”. If Rupert
Murdoch, who turns 80 this month, is the most influential Australian of
the postwar era, Julian Assange, who will soon turn 40, is undoubtedly the
most consequential Australian of the present time. Murdoch’s importance
rests in his responsibility for injecting, through Fox News, the poison of
rabid populist conservatism into the political culture of the United
States; Assange’s in the revolutionary threat his idea of publishing
damaging documentary information sent by anonymous insiders to WikiLeaks
poses to governments and corporations across the globe.

Julian Assange has told the story of his childhood and adolescence twice,
most recently to a journalist from the New Yorker, Raffi Khatchadourian,
and some 15 years ago, secretly but in greater detail, to Suelette
Dreyfus, the author of a fascinating book on the first generation of
computer hacking, Underground, for which Assange was the primary
researcher. In what is called the “Researcher’s Introduction”,
Assange begins with a cryptic quote from Oscar Wilde: “Man is least
himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell
you the truth.” Nothing about Assange has ever been straightforward. One
of the main characters in Underground is the Melbourne hacker Mendax.
Although there is no way readers at that time could have known it, Mendax
is Julian Assange.

Putting Khatchadourian and Dreyfus together, and adding a little detail
from a blog that Assange published on the internet in 2006–07 and
checking it against common sense and some material that has emerged since
his rise to fame, the story of Assange’s childhood and adolescence can
be told in some detail. There is, however, a problem. Journalists as
senior as David Leigh of the Guardian or John F Burns of the New York
Times in general accept on trust many of Assange’s stories about
himself. They do not understand that their subject is a fabulist. By
contrast, when Daniel Domscheit-Berg, Assange’s lieutenant at WikiLeaks
between late 2007 and September 2010, heard that Assange was writing an
autobiography he tells us in Inside WikiLeaks that his “first thought”
was that it should be placed “in the fiction section”.

According to Assange, his mother left her Queensland home for Sydney at
the age of 17, around 1970, at the time of the anti–Vietnam War movement
when the settled culture of the western world was breaking up. In Dreyfus,
Assange’s mother is not named; in Khatchadourian, she is called
“Claire”. In fact she was Christine Hawkins. Assange told Dreyfus that
his mother’s parents were both “academics”. This seems a little
grandiose. Christine’s father, Warren Hawkins, was the principal of the
Northern Rivers College of Advanced Education. Christine fell in love with
a man called John Shipton in Sydney. A year or so after Julian was born,
in Townsville, they parted. Assange did not meet Shipton again till he was
25.

When Julian was about one, Christine met and married a roving theatrical
producer and member of what was by now called the counterculture, Brett
Assange. According to what Julian told Khatchadourian, Brett was the
descendant of a Chinese immigrant who had settled on Thursday Island, Ah
Sang or Mr Sang. Together Brett and Christine travelled around the
country, performing. He painted a vivid portrait for Khatchadourian of an
idyllic life after the family settled for a time on Magnetic Island.
“Most of this time was pretty Tom Sawyer. I had my own horse. I built my
own raft. I went fishing. I was down mine shafts and tunnels.” To
Dreyfus, Julian claimed his stepfather was a decent man but also an
alcoholic. By the time he was addressing audiences worldwide, his father
– he could only be referring to Brett Assange – had become idealised
as a “good and generous man” who had taught him the most fundamental
lesson in life: to nurture victims rather than to create them. Assange
also told Dreyfus about a foundational political memory, an incident that
had occurred while he was about four. His mother and a male friend had
discovered evidence concerning the British atomic bomb tests that had
taken place in Maralinga in greatest secrecy, which they intended to give
to an Adelaide journalist. The male friend had been beaten by police to
silence him. Christine had been warned that she was in danger of being
charged with being “an unfit mother”. She was advised to stay out of
politics. For a four year old to grasp the political meaning of an
encounter such as this seems a little improbable.

When Julian was eight or nine years old, Christine and Brett Assange
separated and then divorced. His mother now formed a “tempestuous”
relationship with an amateur musician, Keith Hamilton, with whom she had
another child, a boy. To Dreyfus, Julian described Hamilton as a
“manipulative and violent psychopath”. A bitter battle for the custody
of Julian’s half-brother began. Christine’s family was now once more
on the move – this time not as before on a “happy-go-lucky odyssey”,
but hiding on both sides of the continent in permanent terror. To
Khatchadourian but not Dreyfus, Julian claimed there was evidence that
this man was a member of the Anne Hamilton-Byrne cult The Family and,
rather fancifully, that he probably discovered their whereabouts from the
“moles” that the cult had inside the government. Because of his
itinerant life as a child, and also because his mother was suspicious of
the authoritarian culture of formal schooling, Julian claimed that he was
home-schooled or independently educated either by professors encountered
on their travels or by following his curiosity in public libraries. He
did, however, also claim to have attended very many schools. According to
Dreyfus, by the time Mendax was 15 he “had lived in a dozen different
places” and had “enrolled in at least as many different schools”.
His lawyer in his trial of 1996, Paul Galbally, also told the court
Assange had been enrolled in about 12 schools. By 2006, Assange claimed he
had attended 37 different schools. Given that after his rise to fame the
Northern Star reported that he had attended Lismore’s Goolmangar Primary
School between 1979 and 1983, the story of 37 schools seems unlikely.

One of the schools Julian attended was in rural Victoria. In the blog he
posted on 18 July 2006, there is an account of his and another
outsider’s experience at this school.

We were bright sensitive kids who didn’t fit into the dominant
subculture and fiercely castigated those who did as irredeemable
boneheads.

This unwillingness to accept the authority of a peer group considered
risible was not appreciated. I was quick to anger and brutal statements
such as “You're a bunch of mindless apes out of Lord of the Flies”
when faced with standover tactics were enough to ensure I got into a
series of extreme fights and I wasn’t sorry to leave when presented with
the dental bills of my tormentors.

Eventually Julian’s family settled on the outskirts of Melbourne in
Emerald and then Tecoma, according to Dreyfus. Christine bought Julian a
$700 computer and a modem. Assange fell in love with a 16-year-old girl,
Teresa, whom he had met through a program for gifted children. He left
home, moved in with and then married his girlfriend. They had a son. This
was the period when the underground subculture of hacking was forming in
Melbourne. Around 1988 Assange joined this subculture, under the handle
Mendax. By October 1989 an attack was mounted from Australia on the NASA
computer system via the introduction of what was called the WANK worm in
an attempt to sabotage the Jupiter launch of the Galileo rocket as part of
an action of anti-nuclear activists. No one claimed responsibility for
this attack, which is outlined in the first chapter of Underground. In an
article he later published in the left-wing magazine CounterPunch, Assange
would claim the WANK worm attack was “the origin of hacktivism”. In a
Swedish television documentary, WikiRebels, made with Assange’s
co-operation, there are hints he was responsible.

Mendax formed a closed group with two other hackers – Trax and Prime
Suspect. They called themselves the International Subversives. According
to Dreyfus, their politics was fiercely anti-establishment; their motive
adventure and intellectual curiosity; their strict ethic not to profit by
their hacking or to harm the computers they entered. Mendax wrote a
program called Sycophant. It allowed the International Subversives to
conduct “massive attacks on the US military”. The list of the
computers they could recall finding their way into “read like a Who’s
Who of the American military-industrial complex”. Eventually Mendax
penetrated the computer system of the Canadian telecommunications
corporation Nortel. It was here that his hacking was first discovered. The
Australian Federal Police conducted a long investigation into the
International Subversives, Operation Weather. Eventually Trax lost his
nerve and began to talk. He told the police that the International
Subversives had been hacking on a scale never achieved before. In October
1991 the Australian Federal Police raided Prime Suspect’s and Mendax’
homes. They found Assange in a state of near mental collapse. His young
wife had recently left him, taking their son Daniel. Assange told Dreyfus
that he had been dreaming incessantly of “police raids … of shadows in
the pre-dawn darkness, of a gun-toting police squad bursting through his
backdoor at 5 a.m.” When the police arrived, the incriminating disks,
which he had been in the habit of hiding inside a beehive, were scattered
by his computer. The evidence was removed.

Assange descended into a personal hell. He entered a psychiatric ward
briefly. He tried and failed to return home to live with his mother. He
frequently slept along Merri Creek in Melbourne or in Sherbrooke Forest.
He told Dreyfus that 1992 was “the worst year in his life”. The formal
charges against Assange were not laid until July 1994. His case was not
finally settled until December 1996. Although Assange had been speaking in
secretive tones about the technical possibility of a massive prison
sentence, in the end he received a $5000 good behaviour bond and a $2100
reparations fine. The experience of arrest and trial nonetheless scarred
his soul and helped shape his politics. In his blog of 17 July 2006,