Anti War: Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 11:47:57 PDT 2022

Rand Paul: "Senate Just Rejected My Attempt To Reaffirm The Constitution"

https://summit.news/2022/07/20/rand-paul-senate-just-rejected-my-attempt-to-reaffirm-the-constitution/
https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1549475146804727808

Senator Rand Paul warned Tuesday that the Senate “shockingly” rejected
his efforts to reaffirm the Constitution as far as declarations of war
go, noting that NATO does not have the authority to supersede Congress
in the U.S.

Paul’s comments came after the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
backed the accession of Finland, Sweden to NATO ahead of a full vote
in the Senate on its expansion, the first of its kind for three
decades, which could happen next week.

    BREAKING: #SFRC approves @NATO protocols resolution for Sweden &
Finland, fulfilling our duty to help determine how, when & with whom
the US brings to bear the power of our diplomatic & military alliance.
Their membership will be a force multiplier for stability & democracy.
pic.twitter.com/jEZ005VBiL
    — Senate Foreign Relations Committee (@SFRCdems) July 19, 2022

    . at SFRCdems has voted in favor of ratifying Sweden’s 🇸🇪 and
Finland’s 🇫🇮 #NATO Accession Protocols. Thank you @SenatorMenendez
and @SenatorRisch for your strong & prompt support! We now look
forward to the 🇺🇸 Senate floor vote. #WeAreNato
    — Embassy of Sweden USA (@SwedeninUSA) July 19, 2022

While other members of the committee verbally voted with a ‘yes’ or
‘no’, Paul voted a neutral “present”.

Paul proposed an amendment that would emphasise only the U.S. Congress
has the right to declare war under the Constitution.

However, it was immediately REJECTED by the committee.

Paul took to Twitter to voice his displeasure:

    Shockingly, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee just rejected
my attempt to reaffirm the Constitution. All my amendment said was
NATO obligations don’t supersede the constitutional requirement that
Congress declare war. How is this controversial?
    — Rand Paul (@RandPaul) July 19, 2022

Russia has repeatedly warned both Sweden and Finland against joining
NATO, promising it will lead to further confrontation.

Committee’s chairman, Democratic Senator Bob Menendez said in a
statement “As US foreign policy priorities evolve to account for a
changing world, what is self-evident is the future of the
transatlantic partnership will be even more intertwined and integrated
thanks to Putin’s recklessness.”