USA 2020 Elections: Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 20:52:44 PDT 2022

> Biden-Dems losing numbers...

Their Big Cities full of failure...

Los Angeles Homicides Jump 39% Since 2019

https://www.theepochtimes.com/los-angeles-homicides-jump-39-percent-since-2019_4597080.html

In the first half of 2022 homicides in the City of Los Angeles shot
upward a whopping 39 percent from 2019. That was the year before the
2020 start of the COVID-19 pandemic. That summer also saw crime
increase in most cities after the national riots following the killing
of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) data showed 181 homicides from
January to July 2022. That was up from 180 in the same period in 2021.
The numbers were 140 in 2020 and 130 in 2019.

For all of 2021, the city suffered 397 homicides, the highest total in
15 years. However, if the current pace of 2022 is continued, the total
for all of this year would be 362. That would be a decline of 8.8
percent from 2021.

Total violent crime saw a 6.9 percent uptick over 2021. And it rose
13.7 percent since 2020.

    “Areas of challenge continue to be our robberies, aggravated
assaults,” LAPD Chief Michel Moore said during a July 12 meeting of
the Police Commission.

    “Although in this last reporting period we did see improvements in
both those categories versus property crime.”

In a previous meeting, Moore told the commission the homicide rate is
being driven by gang-related homicides of homeless people. According
to an analysis by Crosstown, a nonprofit news organization at USC, the
LAPD identified 42 victims, or 23.2 percent, as homeless in the first
half of 2022. That was a 37 percent increase from the previous year.

Over the last year, there has been a 13.1 percent increase in property
crimes. Shooting violence data has remained “essentially flat” from
last year, with 133 shooting victims over the last month and 132 in
July 2021.

    “The improvement we did see is in the last four weeks, we had 35
homicides, whereas last year at the same time we had 47,” the chief
said.

    “So, while we entered into June with an overall increase of
homicides year over year, we have seen some improvement in that area,
where essentially we’re flattening the number of homicides this year
versus last year.”

Moore said there also have been more attacks on street vendors. He
encouraged them to “exercise good practices” and cooperate so the
police can “pursue justice and defend them.”

    “We’re also aware that the vendors can at times become subjected
to intimidation by local street gangs, and a taxing or pay-to-play
circumstance extortion occurs,” he said.

    “Again, it’s critical for the department to be brought into those
situations so that we can counter those threats to their safety as
well.”

He also attributed the growing crime to a jump in ghost guns,
untraceable firearms usually constructed at home by the user and not
registered. In LA, more than three out of four homicides recorded this
year were carried out by a ghost gun, Crosstown found.

LAPD booked 3,556 firearms into the department. Of that, 754, or 21
percent, were classified as ghost guns.

    “We only have to look back to a few years ago where that number
would have been fewer than 100,” Moore said.

    “The prevalence of these guns and the prevalence of overall gun
violence is our most pressing challenge.”

This year homicides were highest in Downtown LA, with 17 fatalities.
Second was Vermont with 11 deaths, followed by Boyle Heights with 10.

As of July 2, Moore said the department had fallen below 9,300 sworn
personnel, short of the department’s 9,700 goal. The current number is
9,280.

At the conclusion of the 2021-22 fiscal year on June 30, LAPD recorded
426 fewer sworn officers than the previous year.

“We’re still underemployed,” he said.