[ot][spam][crazy] log: append-only random-access data

Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of Many gmkarl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:50:03 PDT 2022

- I added expanding deep branches into every add, in an accumulating way
equivalent to recursion. this keeps the tree depth within new bounds when
the leaf count drops, and now some branches are merging, covering that code
- I made the test a little more pathological by shortening the random
writes so they sparsely cover old data more, which widens the tree and
slows execution. thinking on addressing this.

I started copying the code to C a tiny bit, just a start, not attached.

thinking on handling pathological writes just a little
- maybe ensuring there are not internodes with single children so more
leaves are clustered?
- maybe copying leaves up rather than internodes, as investment in future
use when the flush is deeper?
- considering what property relates to the slowdown: number of nodes
traversed? what about in languages with different properties?
- considering bounds on things: in a worst-case scenario with an ideal
tree, how many new nodes should be attached to a new root, at most

might make sense for me to just make some code that uses it, given some of
the ambiguity here.