Assassination Politics

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Jul 11 10:58:03 PDT 2022

Anonymity is only needed if a society is intolerant, abusive to
individuals / subcultures / ethnicities / etc., has draconian or
overbroad laws that are applied in racist, classist, ageist, etc. ways,
and similarly broken dynamics.  We need it less than we used to, but the
need is uneven around the world and fluctuates.

It is of course best for society, with or without anonymity, to
eliminate all of those society shortcomings.  And that is precisely what
liberal & progressive politics (in most ways), social justice, civil
rights, and other movements have been promoting & achieving.  You used
to need anonymity if you wanted to have sex out of wedlock, gay
anything, interracial anything, use marijuana, talk to people in certain
parts of the world, etc.

The flip side is that many things considered, and often legally
considered, to be bad are enabled by anonymity: fraud, abuses of various
kinds, underage sex targeting, extremist indoctrination of those without
sufficient mental firewalls who are weak to manipulation, conspiracies
for terrorism / overthrowing government / murder / mayhem, etc.  Many
people want those stopped at any cost, including deanonymising as
needed.  A lot of old & new laws are about this.  Sometimes they seem
fair, sometimes not.

In recent years & decades, many problematic situations have resolved,
laws negated.  We just took a step backward, in the majority of people's
minds, where suddenly a big category of anonymity has become important
again.  I already had a personal rule never to discuss anyone's abortion
with anyone but them forever for just this kind of reason.  I felt it
was just too hot of a topic and I didn't want anyone to feel unwanted
scrutiny or shame-based regret.  Probably it was bad that many people
did that as people could, in their mind, build up this idea that it was
rare, bad, abused, not a normal thing, etc. which helped boost,
especially in immature & less thoughtful people, that it should be outlawed.

People often think that they are anonymous in various ways, when they
are not.  People think their votes are secret, and that is true in a
limited way, but the bar is fairly low.  I ran for city council in a
city in Silicon Valley.  As part of that, I found that for <$100 I could
buy a DVD with a file with all of the names, addresses, phone numbers,
and email addresses of all registered voters in Santa Clara County,
including how they voted in 5 races.  Anyone with a justifiable reason,
which is a low bar I think as anyone can say they are starting a PAC
which I think is a valid justification, can buy such a database for any
county in the US.  (I hesitate to point this out here, but surely this
is widely known.  Keep in mind: the GOP operatives legally have this for
every county in the US, and that they shared it with the Russians for
voter targeting via Facebook et al.  That seems like it should be
illegal, but apparently was not.)

So the FBI & others have sometimes abused their powers & access in the
past.  And they may sometimes now, although it is much more difficult
presumably, with some kind of auditing & checks.  And certainly many
want to avoid their scrutiny out of principle, etc.  But most people,
when they directly or indirectly vote and otherwise insist on perfect
security & safety from bad actors shooting up a school, poisoning a
community, or crashing a plane, are endorsing government agencies
deanonymising as needed.  And, given tight controls & narrow usage, with
auditing and actual consequences for consequential abuse, I am OK with
that.  It is OK if someone somewhere (and their AI / ML booster systems)
see 'too much' if they never share or do anything bad with that
information.  It has long been the case that we have to trust the IRS
with a lot of detailed information, which even includes stating income
from illegal activities which they are restricted by law from sharing
with law enforcement.  Their are certain other cases where we firewall
to gain a greater good.

And that counts for large entities with widespread access, even more so:
I've talked to many people who are suspicious of Google, Amazon, et al
wrt smart speakers, email, browsing data, advertisement tracking, etc.
It always puzzled me why random people feel the details of their lives
are so important that companies valued in the trillions would
deliberately betray trust in any way for some hard to fathom minuscule
benefit.  Some leaking, uncomfortable situations have happened, but they
are often corrected or at least they are clear & normalized as necessary.

I have been wanting to create a new approach to communications, social
networking, and general information sharing.  One problem to be solved
is supporting encryption, identity, security, etc. while also avoiding
things like extremist / criminal abuses, and things like the India
Villiage Rumor Killings gossip problem.  I have some ideas for that, and
I've been watching what WhatsApp is doing with limiting forwards.  I
actually mentioned one of my ideas to solve this with the WhatsApp team
when I interviewed with them a couple years ago.

Stephen