US 2nd Amendment Under Assault, Freedom Firearms Guns Defense

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 23:38:42 PST 2022

National Concealed Carry? It Might Be Sooner Than You Think

https://themachinegunnest.com/national-concealed-carry-might-be-sooner-than-you-think/
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20171120/victory-in-dc-shall-issue-concealed-carry-coming-to-the-nation-s-capital

If you're unaware of the most recent 2nd amendment case in the supreme
court, let me give you a quick refresher. NYSRPA v. Bruen deals with
the "may-issue" scheme plaguing liberal states. Essentially the
government decides whether you can carry a firearm based on specific
criteria or an atypical need from the general population. Suspiciously
missing from this criteria is "self-defense."

Maryland has a scheme very similar to New York's. The Machine Gun Nest
is a Maryland-based company, and I grew up in Maryland. I recently
received my concealed carry permit from Maryland State Police after
submitting to an intensive background check which required me to prove
(with tax forms, bank account statements, and more) that I was indeed
a business owner. If I had merely said that I was a humble tax-paying,
law-abiding citizen who was concerned about their safety on my evening
walks through Baltimore city, I would have denied that permit.

See the issue here?

Well, so does the Supreme Court.

Oral Arguments for NYSRPA v. Bruen took place on Nov. 3rd, and
afterward, it seemed like the majority of Justices were staunchly on
the 2nd amendment side. We'll have to wait until summer 2022 to get
the verdict, but it appears that the State of New York has seen the
future and has already started crafting legislation to render a
concealed carry permit useless.

New York Bill A08684 is an apparent reaction to the almost certainty
that the Supreme Court will rule New York's permitting scheme as
unconstitutional. The bill itself states that no firearms can be
possessed anywhere on "public" transportation (including rideshares,
trains, and taxis), in restaurants, or anywhere where 15 or more
people are gathered.

While this bill may be depressing to read for the New Yorkers who are
desperate for the ability to defend themselves, the evidence is clear
that even the Government of New York seems to be confident that
they're going to lose NYSRPA v. Bruen.

What does this mean for the rest of the country? Well, it means the
end of "may-issue" schemes, which means that all 50 states would
switch to a shall-issue system. We saw a similar occurrence in 2017
when Washington DC lost in DC Circuit Court for the case Wrenn v.
District of Columbia. If you want to carry a firearm in DC and
complete the required training, you are guaranteed to receive a permit
to carry a gun. Interestingly enough, DC Government did not appeal the
case to the Supreme Court probably because they didn't want an NYSRPA
v. Bruen situation on their hands.

The firearms industry certainly is preparing for an explosion of
concealed carry. We were at SHOT Show in Las Vegas and heard much talk
about the case, especially from dealers and firearms instructors in
more liberal states. In addition, many new products for 2022 are
personal protection and carry focused, like Federal's new 30 Super
Carry, S&W's new CSX handgun, and many more.

So, what should we expect?

Later this year, when the court announces their verdict, they also may
decide to clear up a big problem in gun law right now. There's only
been a handful of 2nd Amendment cases that the Supreme Court has ruled
on. Because of this, 2nd Amendment law isn't exactly crystal clear to
some courts. (How you could misinterpret "shall not be infringed is
beyond me) The result of this uncertainty is that lower courts like
the liberal-leaning 9th Circuit essentially rubber stamp
unconstitutional gun control like assault weapon bans and more because
the Supreme Court hasn't explicitly ruled on one way or another on an
issue.

NYSRPA v. Bruen may serve as an excellent opportunity for the Supreme
Court to clear up some bad lower court rulings.

At the very least, here in Maryland, we're expecting an explosion in
concealed carry permits. To give you an example of the disparity
between a free state and a liberal state, Maryland and Indiana have
similar populations. Still, the percentage of residents with carrying
permits in Maryland is 0.4%, while Indiana is 18%. That's a
significant disparity, and this disparity has likely grown larger as
the statistics on carry permits were last recorded in 2017. 2020 &
2021 saw a considerable rise in concealed carry permit applications at
the rate of 10.5% growth in permit applications year over year.

Needless to say. We're excited to be delivering some good news when it
comes to gun law, but only time will tell what the Supreme Court has
to say for NYSRPA v. Bruen. But if there's any indication of victory,
it's when the blue state governments start to panic. That's clear from
the pending legislation in New York. So, we're predicting a victory
for the 2nd Amendment. The only thing yet to be shown is how far that
victory will go.