[personal][crazy][ot] karl-story/spamlog: heartpulse

k gmkarl at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 01:38:08 PST 2022

This approach is now more common: you can see examples of it at say
https://www.google.com/search?q=telemedicine+heartrate+web+camera . I
don't know what the original paper was.

The original paper's algorithm was:
- take the average of the video
- perform independent component analysis on the 3 RGB channels
- select the channel with the highest fourier component near 60 Hz
- graph it

It plots a chart of the heartbeat of the person who's skin is most
visible in the video.

Nowadays people would use transformer models for this task.

I'd like to amplify the origin of the components, live on a cell
phone, so users can see that everybody's heartbeat is visible to the
naked eye without cell phones already, written on our skin, and likely
used by our subconsciousness to inform our senses of care for each
other.

I'd like to implement it in a general way, so the project could be
expanded so that normal users could process other data. Most software
used to be written in a general way.

It's important for people to know about things like the algorithm,
because computers are doing them already. But the task is just for
therapy. To put my mind back together. It was supposed to be a small
casual project.