DOC - Decentralized Onion Communication

k gmkarl at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 03:33:28 PST 2022

i feel a lot of pain when I read insults from punk, and I then struggle
more to find ways I can contribute helpfully to the world, while feeling
that pain

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022, 6:40 PM Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks at tfwno.gf> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 00:15:11 +0100
> Stefan Claas <spam.trap.mailing.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > if you are familiar how to edit a torrc, you can then define in their
> > trustworthy nodes
>

>         that's a ridiculous comment because you do NOT know which nodes
> are 'trustworthy'
>
>         And even if you did, the comment is still wholly misleading
> because the typical attack against tor is based on 'traffic analysis' based
> on packet/byte counts and timing. And those data are not 'encrypted'. So
> you can choose all the 'trustworthy' nodes you want, you are still fucked.

relating around traffic analysis, just to restate that for a long time the
recommended deterrent of this was to run local cover traffic over tor, so
that one's bandwidth is constant.  this makes it much much harder to
correlate the traffic (but places a burden on the network).

I don't usually mention this because I understand there are further
unaddressed concerns and it is a larger unsolved problem, that anyone can
freely attempt engaging by trying to resolve the cover traffic issue on a
wide scale.