Cryptocurrency: Energy - EU ECON MiCA Threatens Ban on PoW Consensus

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 19:54:50 PST 2022

In response, PoW threatens to downsize eliminate and replace
the entire massively wasteful legacy GovBankFi sectors...

https://www.btc-echo.de/news/bitcoin-spd-gruene-und-linke-fordern-verbot-in-der-eu-135678/
https://www.sygna.io/blog/what-is-mica-markets-in-crypto-assets-eu-regulation-guide/

https://bitcoinminingcouncil.com/
https://nydig.com/research/report-bitcoin-net-zero
https://kingsbusinessreview.co.uk/bitcoin-solution-for-energy-transition
https://www.oilandgaslawyerblog.com/mining-bitcoin-a-solution-to-gas-flaring/
https://twitter.com/BrianRoemmele/status/1453761177201242116
https://bitcoinist.com/btc-the-lightning-network-s-energy-consumption-vs-the-world-a-comparison/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a-eUKjnDfM
https://cryptoonow.com/mexicos-third-richest-billionaire-says-buy-bitcoin-forget-about-selling-youll-thank-me-later/
https://cryptocoinsjournal.com/mexican-senator-to-propose-crypto-law-we-need-bitcoin-as-legal-tender/

European Union plans to forbid Bitcoin and Proof of Work Cryptos

by gumbelslaint
Automated Translation:

Sven Giegold buero-st-gie at bmwi.bund.de
Joachim SCHUSTE joachim.schuster at europarl.europa.eu
Stefan BERGER stefan.berger at europarl.europa.eu

Cramming crypto regulation. The European Parliament wants to prohibit
the provision of crypto services based on "environmentally
unsustainable consensus mechanisms" in its MiCA guidelines. This is
according to a final compromise proposal from the responsible
Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs (ECON), which is available
to BTC-ECHO. De facto, this could mean the end for proof-of-work-based
cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin from January 1, 2025 in the European
Union. The final decision on the draft is to be made in Parliament on
February 28.

Stefan Berger told BTC-ECHO that he believes it is "very likely" that
the proposal will go through. As Chairman of the ECON Committee, he is
largely responsible for the design of the MiCA Directive on the
regulation of cryptocurrencies in the European Parliament. The advance
of the Bitcoin ban had thereby the SPD, Greens and Left energetically
demanded, said the CDU politician in an interview with BTC-ECHO.

The parliamentary groups of the Christian Democrats, right-wing
conservatives and liberals would have vehemently resisted the
inclusion of the ban in the negotiations. In the end, the Social
Democrats, Greens and Left threatened to otherwise withhold their
approval of the MiCA draft, according to reports. Previously, SPD
politician Joachim Schuster had already publicly called for a bitcoin
ban. Green Party European politician Sven Giegold also spoke to
BTC-ECHO in favor of illegalization.

The vote next Monday will be followed by a trilogue between the EU
Commission, the Parliament and the member states, at the end of which
the Commission will be tasked with evaluating the Parliament's
proposal. The decision on this should be expected before the end of
this year. In the October 2020 draft, the Commission opposed a bitcoin
ban.

Bitcoin clause is "fatal"

Federal Finance Minister Christian Lindner did not want to comment on
the impending bitcoin ban to BTC-ECHO. Frank Schäffler (FDP), member
of the Budget Committee of the Bundestag, considers the new proposal
of the EU Parliament "fatal". He already called for changes to the
MiCA guidelines last year.

I assume and also expect that the German government and the lead
finance minister Christian Lindner will prevent this.

Robert Kopic of the industry association Blockchain for Europe also
sees the potential for the clause to "put Europe at a disadvantage."

This is a point that would put Europe, along with its green miners, at
a disadvantage and would solely lead to them migrating abroad and
Europe losing geopolitical access to Bitcoin.

The economic disadvantages of a Bitcoin ban are therefore obvious. A
fact that the EU Commission will also take into account in its MiCA
assessment, says Stefan Berger. What the final decision will
ultimately look like is uncertain at this point.

all 239 comments
sorted by: best

[–]EliteExpression 18 points 5 hours ago

They can't stop Bitcoin, this is not even close to the end of Bitcoin.
It's just getting started. When CEX are forced to delist Bitcoin more
people will find their way to DeFi, which means even less control for
the government.

They are helping us without even realizing it.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Mallardshead 363 points 9 hours ago2

It's not relevant anymore. A circular economy destroys the last
vestige of government control, because that's the vector by which they
leverage blockchain forensics. A circular economy renders exchanges
useless. This will take time of course, but while we're still a store
of value absorbing the world's value and trust, there will be legal
tender safe spaces. Some offering citizenship. There will be game
theory. Places to buy your yacht in BTC. Places with favorable tax
laws. The parallel system we build will eventually be big enough to
push back, too open source, and too hard for their weak money to stay
relevant.

Politicians will fight to keep their power and prestige. But we'll
over time demonetize them, including their backup asset gold. When
bitcoin is attacked, it hardens.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Festortheinvestor 92 points 8 hours ago*

Wow you don’t fuck about. Thanks for the strong words. BTC has changed
the world and it’s still in its early years

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]teerakzz 3 points 1 hour ago

I think this Canada debacle is a perfect example of why people are
going to wake up to the freedom Bitcoin empowers everybody in the
world with.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]nassau_ripredditor for 2 months 36 points 6 hours ago

Parallel systems have always existed, especially in
totalitarian/genocidal regimes. Still, this isn't going to be an easy
path. There will be all out war before they give up control.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]turpin23 12 points 5 hours ago

There will be all out war regardless. Whether it is wars between
nation states or between groups within current states, and which ones,
is the question.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]NckyDC 37 points 6 hours ago

Bitcoin, blockchain protocols, blockchain voting, blockchain
accountability and also DAOs will force the governments into being
totally GAAS (government as a service) which is what they are supposed
to be but they are not.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]West-Effective3790 11 points 6 hours ago

We as the people can't force a government to do anything, just look at
Canada right now; even the right to peaceful protests is being
stripped from citizens in an allegedly free democratic state. Private
assets are being seized with absolutely no justification. Governments
sole priority is staying in power, not the welfare of it's citizens.
The current system will need to be destroyed before there can be
positive change and great sacrifices will be required by this
generation for the sake of future generations, and we all know that
peoples inherent selfishness and self interest will not allow that to
happen.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]armaver 2 points 2 hours ago

Oh yes we could! But we are all still too comfortable and well fed.
People will get rid of their government only when there is enough pain
and suffering.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[+]ReggieBC -7 points 5 hours ago

That protest wasn't peaceful, bud.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]launcelot02 27 points 5 hours ago

You are right. I would never want to be at a protest that has kids
playing street hockey and bouncy houses, no vandalism, no deaths. I
would feel much safer if I was in America and BLM protest with
buildings being burned, a kid shot in the head at a Wendy’s, vandalism
of anything in proximity, an estimated 32 murders, an especially 2
billion dollars in insurance claims due to the “peaceful protests.”
Yes, America protests are safe, not Canada.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]obishawnkenobi -1 points 5 hours ago

If they hadn’t had their trucks blocking streets and honking their
horns late at night, I would agree with you. But even if nobody got
hurt, it was a public nuisance

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]1_Pump_Dump 18 points 4 hours ago

Protests are supposed to be a public nuisance and cause disruption.
Anything less is pointless and will be ignored by the status quo and
everyone not affected.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TheeConArtist 6 points 4 hours ago

THIS, thought that's the point lmao

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]FastFwdFrankredditor for 3 weeks 6 points 4 hours ago

Are you saying trucks blocking streets and honking their horns is violence?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]launcelot02 3 points 2 hours ago

Who knows what he means, but I will say the Canada protests and BLM
were totally different (indicated by my sarcasm). All the truckers
left lanes open for first responders and any business needed for the
public. What did BLM do? They blocked the roads, surrounded vehicles,
and beat the ever loving Hell out of someone just making a wrong turn.
Blowing horns? They stopped it days later by the request of police.

Let us not forget why the truckers did what they did. Government
control of citizens lives. Whether it will stay or not by government
intervention is anyone's guess, but as the trucks were, bitcoin is the
release valve of government control.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]West-Effective3790 9 points 5 hours ago

Incorrect, there will ways be outliers and anomalies but the
overwhelming majority of those involved were in fact peaceful and
trying to exercise their rights, bud. Where you there?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BrofessionalRetard 1 point 4 hours ago

So costing the Canadian economy billions of dollars isn't an attack on
every working class citizen that now has to foot the bill?

Were you there, bud? Rhetorical question because I know you're not Canadian.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]munznbunzredditor for 5 weeks 6 points 3 hours ago

You then must be very upset about the shutdowns and mandates, as that
cost the economy as well, and citizens have to foot the bill.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BrofessionalRetard 0 points 2 hours ago

I'm not happy about it, but letting the virus run rampant would have
been no better. At least this way we saved a lot of lives.

The protesters weren't saving lives...

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]launcelot02 3 points 2 hours ago

Apparently you never read one of the papers released last week from
Stanford Medical School, easily in the top in the world in medical.
Based on their findings shutting down society to reduce the spread
saved .2% from it spreading as it did. Yes, I did not mistype that.
Trillions upon trillions of dollars to "stop the spread" not 2% BUT
.2%. Hindsight is 20/20, but inflation will be way worse and stretch
out for decades killing way more people than the coof every did.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BrofessionalRetard 1 point 2 hours ago

That's exactly the way things were going anyway. Decades of inflation,
strangling the working man. At least now we can get it over with and
push for reform.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]beyond-and-above [score hidden] 14 minutes ago

Do you have a link to that report?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Graymatter-70 1 point 2 hours ago

The mandates were originally to “flatten the curve”. Then the goalpost
/ nets got moved.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]it_diedinhermouth 2 points 2 hours ago

The “man dates” are dwindling and have been changing to keep the
burden off a healthcare system that is underfunded. This caravan of
freedom is more a celebration of anarchy than a protest to something
already in decline. Anyone witnessing this nonsense from the outside
really has no bearing for understanding what our Canadian society will
stand for.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]oraki23 1 point 4 hours ago

Yes, they were peaceful for a time. They made their message and the
government did nothing during these time.

​

However, at some point it became more than just a protest, therefore
the government had to intervene. It started impacting and destroying
the freedom of other.

​

If people want to make a real protest that will last days, they need
to do it where it hurts the government and not the citizens, otherwise
the gov will have the approval of the majority.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]FastFwdFrankredditor for 3 weeks 3 points 4 hours ago

It isn't for you to decide when it became more than a protest.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PRMan99 7 points 4 hours ago

More peaceful than anything BLM ever did.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]kensalmighty -3 points 4 hours ago

But, but, but BLM!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]LaterChunk 2 points 2 hours ago

I'm so tired of people bringing up relevant comparisons! Quit
comparing things to other things.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]RonPaulWasR1ght 7 points 5 hours ago

Yes it was, largely. And further, many people who gave money to it,
did so when it was entirely legal to do so. This is a clear government
overreach, pure tyranny.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dwork6 -2 points 5 hours ago

Not it wasn't, largely.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]thecoat9 2 points 2 hours ago

So many people have camera phones these days you'd think there'd be
some smoking gun, some video of protestors assaulting people etc. The
only significant violence I've seen was when police started trampling
people with horses.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]RonPaulWasR1ght 4 points 5 hours ago

Much more peaceful than any BLM protest or other looting spree excuse
for a protest by the left wing govt funded groups. And what's more,
they were actually protesting for our liberty. For freedom from evil
mandates and for our civil liberties and rights.

I'm not aware of anything which wasn't peaceful there, other than the
cops whose horse trampled an old lady. I'd love to see your evidence.
In any case, those protesters were right and I support them. We need
our freedoms back.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dwork6 0 points 3 hours ago

You're not aware of anything which wasn't peaceful except the
incident, albeit true, that was not caused by the team you're rooting
for. Lol. How convenient. I can only dream the cops would have treated
these protesters like they treat the left wing 'government funded'
groups of protesters. Like you're just good with blaring a horn at
citizens for 24/7 for 3 weeks? The fuck does that accomplish?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]RonPaulWasR1ght 1 point 3 hours ago

That is NOTHING compared to the literal looting and ransacking that
BLM did over the death of a drug addict. And look what they, the
truckers, are fighting for - freedom and liberty to decide what goes
in our bodies, for the love of God.

I'm confounded by people like yourself who don't believe in liberty
and freedom. Remind me, why again did you get into Bitcoin? Seems a
bit contradictory.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]munznbunzredditor for 5 weeks 1 point 3 hours ago

A lot of people are in it for the money, they could care less about freedom.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ElonWithTheGlizzy 0 points 2 hours ago

Your kidding right let’s see a link of them being violent

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Manan111 [score hidden] 1 minute ago

This is a result of buying too much Canadian propaganda of them being
angels. If Canadian govt sees it in their benefit, they won't flinch
before committing genocides. They won't think twice before bombing
airliners if it gets them an extra vote.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]LastRecognition4151redditor for 3 months 13 points 6 hours ago

This guy read The Sovereign Individual.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Vigilias 3 points 4 hours ago

It definitely is relevant.

If the country we reside in decides to attack fungibility, and taint
any self custodial coins, like is beginning to happening in Canada for
example, were gonna have one hell of a choice to make.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Metaphorical_Pizza 6 points 5 hours ago

But all the chinese bans have worked so well! /s

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]WorriedViolinist7648 6 points 5 hours ago

This plan might sound nice for some ears in this echo chamber. But
will it survive its first contact with political reality?

(x) doubt

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]halt_spell 2 points 4 hours ago

This is hardly first contact. You haven't been paying attention.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HitMePat 1 point 2 hours ago

Lol

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Lurked_Emerging 2 points 5 hours ago

Hodlers outside parallel regions using bitcoin as a store of value
will also increase the value in the network, energising and feeding
the pressure parallel regions will exert around them accelerating the
process to sweep the world off its fiat.

Really highlights why imf etc. are scared of El Salvador.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]1dmkelley 7 points 6 hours ago

This guy fucks

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BrofessionalRetard 2 points 4 hours ago

So I have a question. Who runs the show when this happens? How do we
enforce taxes so our infrastructure doesn't fall apart? What's to stop
actual dictators from rising?

This sub loves to chirp about removing politicians from power but
nobody ever talks about what that actually looks like.

It looks like anarchy.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]gvictor808 -1 points 4 hours ago

Societal rules and Money will become decoupled with Bitcoin, but that
doesn’t mean we no longer have rules, taxes, police, infrastructure.
Think of email replacing letters…we still need the postal system, just
not for written communications..

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BrofessionalRetard 3 points 3 hours ago

That's a complete non-answer.

Who enforces the rules if nobody bothers to pay taxes? Cops, judges,
lawyers, etc do not work for free.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]gvictor808 2 points 3 hours ago

Why would we not pay taxes when Bitcoin replaces fiat. What are the
only sure things? Death and Taxes. What is your logic here? Do you
think El Salvador citizens are thinking they can now avoid taxes? Of
course not.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]MightyWhitey2020 3 points 2 hours ago

If you love to pay taxes so much then you can pay mine for me, G.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BrofessionalRetard 2 points 2 hours ago

Lmao, right?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BrofessionalRetard 2 points 2 hours ago

I wouldn't pay them if the government couldn't force me. I'm tired of
paying for shit that I don't support. So are lots of people.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]gvictor808 0 points 2 hours ago

Penalty would be the same. Garnish wages, lien on property, bench
warrants, fines

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BrofessionalRetard 3 points 2 hours ago

Garnish wages lol. How? I'm a fucking contractor. Liens? I own nothing
lol, that's precisely why I won't pay taxes.

Fines? Don't care. Warrants? Don't care. I know how to avoid the pigs.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Floooge 1 point 6 hours ago

In your last statement, who is the « we » demonetizing politicians?
Other ones like the Salvador president? Or BTC’s coders? Or?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]universoman 3 points 4 hours ago

BTC holders obviosly, which includes everyone you mentioned and
another 100M people today. At some point it will be billions of people
that own a share of the network, and eventually the vast majority of
the world.

That's who is the "we" is, everyone that believes that governments
should not be trusted with monetary policy. The amount of people that
join the club will only grow in time, slowly but surely, until we
reach worldwide consensus.

It's unstoppable, like the internet

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]roy28282 1 point 5 hours ago

Beautiful writing.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PropWashPA28 1 point 5 hours ago

Right on. As Paul Vigna put it, Bitcoin is a Rat King in the sewer.
The more viruses and pathogens attack it, the stronger their
collective immune systems get. Don't look up a picture of a Rat King.
It's not the Ninja Turtles villain.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Tinknocker12 [score hidden] 22 minutes ago

Shitoshi is that you?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Haquestions4 40 points 8 hours ago

I know this is auto translated, but where does it say European union?
Some german politicians want this.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Gz53bz3ekpqZ 23 points 7 hours ago

First line "The European Parliament wants to...". It's mostly German
politicians pushing this proposal to be accepted for EU regulations.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]OB1182 17 points 5 hours ago

Error in translation, the named German parties want the EU to ban
Bitcoin. Not the other way around.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]zenethics 1 point 4 hours ago

How do you know? Its repeated several times in the article, it doesn't
seem like a one-off mistranslation. However it also says "likely to go
through" in one part and "will be prevented" in another about this
proposed addition. Hard to sort it out without being a native German
speaker...

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]OB1182 5 points 3 hours ago

Because i read the German and Dutch articles.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]zenethics 1 point 3 hours ago

Thanks for the response. May I trouble you for a link to those?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]armaver 1 point 2 hours ago

The link to the german article is in the OP.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]silverslides 3 points 6 hours ago

Why are the Germans so keen on this?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Gz53bz3ekpqZ 13 points 6 hours ago

Green ideology. They see two rivaling technologies in crypto: PoW and
PoS. To them, climate change is the biggest political concern, so they
aren't okay with PoW's energy requirements. Energy policy is a huge
deal in Europe.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]freeradicalx 13 points 5 hours ago

Meanwhile these "green" Germans are buying coal power from Poland...

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]misterbobdobalina09 23 points 5 hours ago

Yes this is why they turned off coal and nuclear plants, so they could
use... green... sorry no, Russian fossil gas to heat their homes and
power their industries. This is what you get when you vote green. All
ideas and believes, and Russian influence by Putin. Face-palm.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Gz53bz3ekpqZ 10 points 5 hours ago

The green movement, especially the anti-nuclear movement, is firmly
established in Germany since Chernobyl (1986). The decision to exit
nuclear energy happened right after Fukushima (2011) and should be
completed this year. The exit from coal energy is supposed to happen
until 2038, although discussions are ongoing to move it to 2030.

I'm not saying there isn't any Russian propaganda at work, but its
influence is probably minuscule. The strong anti-nuclear sentiment in
Germany is much older than Putin's reign or gas deals between Russia
and Germany.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]misterbobdobalina09 10 points 5 hours ago

All I am saying is they turned those plants off with no exit plan. Now
they made themselves dependent on Putin while he receives millions of
euro delivering gas to them. Gotta think first.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Gz53bz3ekpqZ 8 points 5 hours ago

Yea, I agree. It was an ideological decision, not a rational one.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PRMan99 4 points 4 hours ago

    Gotta think first.

Never seen a liberal policymaker do that.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Markenbier 1 point 1 hour ago

Sadly the German didn't vote truly green. They (in part) voted for the
greens which in my opinion only differ slightly from the common
parties CDU and SPD in terms of climate politics. Sure their ideas are
a little bit more green than the ones from the other parties but
nowhere near as radical as they where when the greens where new to the
parliament.

The sad reality is that neither of the European countries don't do
nearly enough as would be required to stay within the climate goal.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TenshiS 3 points 5 hours ago

They could just ban fossil fuels and dirty mining instead. That would
solve more issues.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]silverslides 2 points 6 hours ago

Makes some sense but the security of PoS is just not as proven as PoW.
I can understand some smaller protects moving to PoW but btc relies on
its stability. Slow adoption of new technologies is not an issue such
btc but rather a feature. It soul's give long term investors more
trust that their investment will not easily be hacked.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]breckenk[🍰] 1 point 4 hours ago

PoS is just another attempt at having a free lunch by keeping the
system looking functional until the entire thing can no longer stand
up, because nothing in the world exists without energy.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–][deleted] 6 hours ago*

[deleted]

[–]misterbobdobalina09 0 points 5 hours ago

It's the Russian powerhouse you mean? With Nordstream 1 and 2.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jhkfojrifydgnfxygprjredditor for 7 weeks 0 points 5 hours ago

So the same german politicians who suck Putin for his gas and kneeled
eventually before USA and the rest of EU.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lia_ness 3 points 6 hours ago

It’s a proposal for the European Parliament and it is expected („very
probably“) to be approved on Monday. The article also says that the
final decision is to be made by the European Commission which is
described as more Bitcoin friendly

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]gumbelslaintredditor for 3 months[S] 1 point 6 hours ago

Second sentence

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Markenbier 1 point 2 hours ago

Yeah it's pretty sad. Always our stupid corrupt politicians messing
things up in the eu :/

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]hurray_for_boobies 31 points 6 hours ago

MiCA background:
https://www.sygna.io/blog/what-is-mica-markets-in-crypto-assets-eu-regulation-guide/

Good news is that it's scheduled for 2024-2025 so still a ways off.

Also, I find it hard to imagine that these "crypto asset regulations"
would ignore or ban the biggest, most important, first, most
decentralized "crypto asset" which is Bitcoin.

Hopefully someone explains to these "Green" parties how Bitcoin mining
is, on balance, good for the environment and great for incentivizing
renewable energy...

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PRMan99 16 points 4 hours ago

Greenest project in human history.

But why let facts get in the way of a good new-fashioned witch hunt?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ResponsibleOwl2263 19 points 6 hours ago

2 and half years doesn’t seem that far away to me!

Yeah isn’t it bonkers that the so called green and socialist parties
favour central bankers, money printing and proof of stake cryptos only
🤡

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]alixanc 9 points 5 hours ago

Either they don't understand it or assume their voters don't
understand it, that's why we need to educate.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Selling_illegal_pepe 4 points 4 hours ago

How is mining good for the environment? Compared to normal
transactions? Im just curious why that is, not arguing for or against

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Thanatos_1 12 points 3 hours ago*

Imitate benefits, 1st degree:

Bitcoin mining is a buyer of last resort for stranded energy. Much of
that energy is natural gas in remote locations, that is produced as a
byproduct in oil wells. Companies release it directly or flare it,
which is highly inefficient. As much as 90% can go unburned into the
atmosphere. Bitcoin mining entrepreneurs go to those wells, buy the
gas on site and combust it in a generator. Very clean burning process.
Gets almost all of the methane.

2nd degree:

Often so called renewables or other so called green energy sources
have the problem of unpredictable energy output. For example: strong
winds when nobody needs the energy. This can go as far as the energy
having a negative price. In comes Bitcoin: it always buys the excess
energy.

Also, bitcoin mining can smooth out peaks and troughs. By having a
constant base-demand, energy providers can more efficiently produce
and deliver energy. In short periods of high demand, in natural
catastrophes like heat waves or cold weather, the miners can be turned
off, releasing the base-demand for other uses.

When a new wind/solar park or whatever is built, high costs occur,
because the park can't be connected to the grid yet. In these periods,
which can last months, the company building the park is making losses.
By always being able to sell to the bitcoin network, building these
parks is more attractive for investors.

3rd degree:

The fiat money system, by enabling fractional reserve banking, kicks
off something called "The Boom-Bust-Cycle". So called mainstream
economists will tell you, that this is natural and just how things
are, but that's false. Austrian economists are able to explain what
happens and it is not natural and inherent in an economy, to
periodically go into booms and busts. Read about "Austrian Business
Cycle Theory" or watch this short video for an overview explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a-eUKjnDfM

Inflation also being a hidden taxation, enables the state to spend
much more, than the will of the people actually allows for. The cost
of for example wars and many other wasteful government projects can be
hidden. Hardly anything is as damaging to nature than this.

Another 3rd degree effect is, that in an inflationary system, the
focus of the people is more present, consumption focused. Think buying
tons of plastic crap that's fun for a while and then gets dumped in a
landfill, instead of saving for the future and then buying quality
products that last years, sometimes generations and get repaired when
they break.

Edit: another 3rd degree effect is, that in an inflationary monetary
system, people scramble all over the place to find places to store
their wealth. Often by buying houses and apartments. These houses are
either bought away from actual would-be-homeowners, or are wasteful
excess production. If the economy is at the end of a boom-bust-cycle,
many billions worth of real-estate development turns out to be
unwanted after all, leaving immeasurable amounts of half-built houses
unfinished. A loss for everybody who actually wanted a house, or the
resources that went into building these useless houses. Of course,
these projects are extremely harmful to the environment.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Zen_Farmsredditor for 2 months 2 points 3 hours ago

Trustless accountability.

When you can understand this, you will understand it all.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]CheesesCrust_ 1 point 4 hours ago

Oh, thats a relief, means i can break even from my mining investment
lol. I was worried.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BalanceAdept8939 102 points 10 hours ago

It’s funny to me people even care what governments say or do when it
comes to crypto . This is a revolution with one of the end goals being
financial freedom from a central bank . Obviously the governments
won’t like it as they are all controlled by the central bank. Haha
Don’t start something you’re not prepared to finish if governments
banning or slandering crypto is too much for you then go back to their
currencies. Very simple

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]West-Effective3790 42 points 7 hours ago

This all changes if governments impose harsh punishments for ignoring
their propsed rules. How about they create taskforces to arrest and
imprison people who ignore the rules? I am all in on BTC/Crypto in
general, but the lengths a government will go to to ensure it retains
power could be limitless. No government will just roll over and accept
loss of control, look at the last 2 years in general. Democracy and
freedom of choice in general are not a given anymore.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Simple_Yam 6 points 6 hours ago

Ser we're on reddit, everyone here is a Guy Fawkes keyboard warrior
ready to dethrone their government.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]eve_of_distraction 1 point 5 hours ago

Sir this is a Wendy's.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]0x1a3c3e7redditor for 3 months [score hidden] 22 minutes ago

You know why Wendy's hamburgers are so good?

Because they don't cut corners.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]outofobscure 20 points 7 hours ago

    Democracy and freedom of choice in general are not a given anymore.

what your write has truth, but if this is not a given anymore, then
the government has no legitimacy anymore either...

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SnooChocolates7170 5 points 5 hours ago

    government has no legitimacy anymore either

I NEVER legitimated any government to forcefully take money from me in
exchange for services that I didn't ask and to follow laws that I
don't agree

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]West-Effective3790 15 points 7 hours ago

But the government has a police force and a military to do its
bidding...i think we are at a critical stage in history and economics
is a controlling factor in stability. If the current system is
threatened there are many people in power willing to go to great
lengths to ensure the status quo remains. Of course i want change, but
it is far more complicated than a lot of pro crypto enthusiasts
realise imo

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]outofobscure 10 points 7 hours ago

i agree, it's far bigger than crypto / btc. but i will hodl just in
spite anyway.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Percyheckendorf 6 points 7 hours ago

Can’t have a military or police if you can’t control the treasure

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]West-Effective3790 4 points 6 hours ago

I beg to differ. The vast majority of people are looking for
leadership and most don't question the status quo; as long as they
have somewhere to live, food and the illusion of security then they
will blindly follow what they are told by the government and their
propaganda machine aka the main stream media. The alternative to
accepting the current system entails hardship and loss, which the
majority will never accept- easier to be subjugated and comfortable
than rebel and risk losing it all.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Percyheckendorf 5 points 6 hours ago

People follow their wallets.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]outofobscure 1 point 5 hours ago

Yes, these are the really dangerous people, the complacent

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]perfect5-7-with-riceredditor for 7 weeks 3 points 4 hours ago

Many people have lost faith in institutions already. Doesn't really
matter when they're in power and you risk jail time for not following
their rules

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]outofobscure 2 points 4 hours ago

Yeah it‘s not easy, but they can‘t throw us all into jail either, who
would be the wards hehe

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]cryptoeconfreedomredditor for 3 days 6 points 7 hours ago

And what exactly can you do against an army of clowns that refuse to
accept that they are not legit anymore?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]outofobscure 6 points 7 hours ago

i don't know yet, it's a question that needs answers, urgently... one
thing is education i guess, the emissions are not as bad as some
people think

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]cryptoeconfreedomredditor for 3 days 8 points 7 hours ago

It's not about the emission obviously. It's about power and control 🛂

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]outofobscure 3 points 7 hours ago

yeah you are right, but you need to delegitimize the politicians
claims in order for the voters to vote them out (i know, even that
seems hopeless).

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HydraGene 4 points 5 hours ago

Don't be such a doomer. Your rights can not be taken away unless you
let the government take them away. So let's pick up our weapons. Let's
build a defense, a safe haven, for our community.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Seeders 3 points 6 hours ago

    This all changes if governments impose harsh punishments for
ignoring their propsed rules.

Governments aren't really the ones in charge, remember that.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]hyperinflationUSA 3 points 5 hours ago

Name one thing the government has been sucessful at banning?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]0x1a3c3e7redditor for 3 months [score hidden] 19 minutes ago

Excellent point! Prohibition always backfires but it's proponents use
the consequences of it to justify it.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]hyperinflationUSA 3 points 5 hours ago

    This all changes if governments impose harsh punishments for
ignoring their propsed rules. How about they create taskforces to
arrest and imprison people who ignore the rules?

that didn't work for the war on drugs, why would it work for bitcoin?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]freeradicalx 1 point 5 hours ago

It doesn't sound like you understand how nation state governments
derive their power.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]0x1a3c3e7redditor for 3 months [score hidden] 16 minutes ago

All power comes from those who support it- soldiers, police, agents
and taxpayers (businesses and consumers).

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Soft-Spring9843redditor for 2 weeks 9 points 7 hours ago

Because those are the ones they can’t control or shut down lol

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AndyZuggle 115 points 10 hours ago

Congrats to the UK on Brexit.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]gumbelslaintredditor for 3 months[S] 26 points 10 hours ago

Haha yes..

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ResponsibleOwl2263 2 points 4 hours ago

Uk could well try to ban bitcoin as well. They are already cracking
down on bitcoin exchanges and most of the British banks block payments
to big exchanges like Binance. There will never be any bitcoin mining
in uk due electricity costs

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AndyZuggle 2 points 4 hours ago

The more countries we have, the less each one can get away with.

Plus it will be harder because the UK is a smaller country, and thus
more responsive to the populace. The EU is huge and its citizens don't
have any say in its actions.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ResponsibleOwl2263 1 point 3 hours ago

On other hand the House of Lords is the second biggest unelected
legislature in the world so not sure it’s fair to suggest it’s more
democratic…

… but anyway one thing both UK and EU have protected in law (
apparently ) is the right of individuals to own property. Will
therefore be interesting to see how any proposed ban would be
compatible with such a right.

Hopefully it won’t. If it does I’ll probably move to mainland China
where even hodling bitcoin is not a crime

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]pugesh[🍰] 1 point 4 hours ago

it's actually crazy how people will continue to shit on the UK for
their perfectly rational decision only for the EU to do this kind of
shit

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]mapryan [score hidden] 25 minutes ago

You clearly know F-A about Brexit

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Massive_Fish_2872 34 points 10 hours ago

so they want to do what? forbidding a completely decentralized asset?
Aha okay. They should focus on not letting in Putin and his bombs
instead of trying to forbid something that can not be forbidden (as we
know thanks to china)

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]bighanq 17 points 9 hours ago

They could ban BTC/PoW cryptos from CEX’s in the EU. Other than that
not a lot they can do.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]West-Effective3790 10 points 6 hours ago

They could impose mandatory 10 year prison sentences for having
ownership of crypto...and persuade the majority of society that it is
for their own good. Narratives are easily created when most of the
population is ignorant of how the current economic system enslaves
them and empowers the elite. BTC is an idea and a beacon of hope, but
there is a long road ahead before there are any real changes in the
current systems of ruling. As another contributer said; this runs far
deeper than we can currently concieve.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SnooChocolates7170 6 points 5 hours ago

...and most people blindly truly believe on any narrative that comes
from the government.

It is the same with nuclear energy, that always have been known to be
the cleanest one, but the government managed somehow to convince a
significant portion of the population that the green and low CO2
solution is to use natural gas instead.

😔

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]x420smokeweedlord69x 2 points 4 hours ago

Well nuclear sounds very scary, and natural gas is natural! That's all
it takes to convince most people. Most people are fucking stupid.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Massive_Fish_2872 1 point 7 hours ago

exactly and this is the longer the less a problem;)

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]LuisNaldo7 5 points 7 hours ago

Not the asset itself. Services around pow based chains.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]West-Effective3790 0 points 6 hours ago

The reality is it absolutely can be forbidden, draconian measures are
the new norm in Western society, has the kast two years shown you
nothing? Our freedom is an illusion created to pacify people.
Revolutions are a thing of the past, the current system is so deeply
embedded in our societies that it is nigh on impossible to force
change.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Massive_Fish_2872 10 points 6 hours ago*

i am sick ofvthese comments. people like you bring up unconfirmed
problems that take away all hope and NEVER do i see a real solution
proposal from these people. Never! Invading the gov? for what? to
replace it with dangerous radical people? Go away. we had that already
it was called a world war! we dont need that again

Bitcoin is permissionless! not even in china it is really gone. people
still use it obviously. a permissionless thing can not be banned. just
as like drugs, criminals, corruption and all that can not be stopped
by „forbidding it“. no, crypto is not bad. the people using it for bad
things are bad.

weapons are not bad. the trigger is pressed by a human which is
usually forced to do so by a crazy guy sitting on top of a country.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]West-Effective3790 0 points 5 hours ago

You have misconstrued my comment. I want change and i have hope. I am
just so disillusioned by the current state of affairs. I am sorry that
you are sick of "people like me". Yes drugs and contraband cannot be
stopped, but the punishments for being caught with it can ruin lives
and that threat is why the vast majority of people don't use
recreational drugs and are not criminals.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[+]4ussie -5 points 7 hours ago

Tell the Americans to get out of Europe and there will be peace.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]chichiokurikuri 1 point 6 hours ago

🤡

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Massive_Fish_2872 0 points 7 hours ago

they dont listen

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BombaAnarchica00redditor for 6 weeks 14 points 6 hours ago

I’m from there. What enrages me is that no one has ever cast a vote
for these clowns. The EU is run by self-important, overpaid
bureaucrats. They are not elected and they can’t be removed. We should
stop calling Europe a democracy because it isn’t.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]xzaramurd 2 points 4 hours ago

How do you mean? The European Parliament is elected by the people. We
cast a ballot for this every 5 years.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BombaAnarchica00redditor for 6 weeks 1 point 3 hours ago

In fact it has no real power. The power resides with the European
Commission. They are unelected and they can’t be removed.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ImCrius 6 points 6 hours ago

Ok, so I don't think that banning mining in Europe makes any
difference to me. They'll pop up wherever, and BTC will continue to be
mined. So then I wonder if they could kill the exchanges, so that I
can't connect my Euros* to BTC, but no, there's no risk of that. They
are only talking about POW products, so even if they made this rule,
and made it flat illegal for me to buy or sell BTC using Euros / at
European Banks, I could still exchange BTC with other coins that
aren't POW and then interact with the fiat economy via these.

​

    I'm American, but imaging the case for a European.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lia_ness 1 point 6 hours ago

Hm they are talking about services related to POW cryptos so
technically they could forbid swapping via exchanges I would assume

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]misterbobdobalina09 3 points 5 hours ago

You can't forbid that. It is not possible with DEXs and all.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Flaky-Illustrator-52 1 point 4 hours ago

Or simple p2p exchange

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]2Thick4U69redditor for 6 days 11 points 8 hours ago

They forbid plenty of things that people still do.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]cryptoETH_jazz 3 points 8 hours ago

No one cares… we don’t have to… 🤙🏼

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]thebvkley 5 points 7 hours ago

Haha I guess we will see

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ericla1014 4 points 5 hours ago*

The EU makes so many dumb decisions that end up shooting themselves in
the foot. One example of the incompetence is their current dependency
on Russian energy. Also it looks like they didn’t learn anything from
falling behind on the early development of the internet.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]maroule 9 points 6 hours ago*

These guys are like Putin, living in 20th century.

You can always send them a polite email and explain them why mining is
not bad, specially compared to other industries...

Sven Giegold buero-st-gie at bmwi.bund.de

Joachim SCHUSTE joachim.schuster at europarl.europa.eu

Stefan BERGER stefan.berger at europarl.europa.eu

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]maroule 12 points 5 hours ago

Here is the email I sent:

Hello,

I'm a French citizen. I'm not much into politics, but I read an
article where you had a bad opinion about Bitcoin. While Bitcoin
indeed uses electricity, it's a revolutionary network on so many
aspects that it would take me hours to explain them all.

First some numbers about Annual GHG Emission:

    Military-industrial Complex : 2500 Million Tonnes of Co2e

    Finance & Insurance Sector : 1368 Million Tonnes of Co2e

    Bitcoin : 44.1 Million Tonnes of Co2e

Bitcoin is slowly but surely adopting the lightning network, which
promises an even more energy-efficient network:

https://bitcoinist.com/btc-the-lightning-network-s-energy-consumption-vs-the-world-a-comparison/

Blockchain is a booming industry, and Europe would miss it by taking
an hasty approach. For instance semiconductor industry (I read
somewhere Europe want this industry back) with Intel US manufacturer,
who just launched a new more power efficient chip:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-details-its-bitcoin-mining-bonanza-mine-chips-and-systems

Do we want industry in Europe or not ? These chips will become more
and more energy-efficient, but we need Europe on this...

Mining also promote new techniques for energy saving that could be
applied to other industries, like immersion cooling:

https://twitter.com/BrianRoemmele/status/1453761177201242116

or to use otherwise wasted energy:

https://www.oilandgaslawyerblog.com/mining-bitcoin-a-solution-to-gas-flaring/

Bitcoin could also help in the energy transition:

https://kingsbusinessreview.co.uk/bitcoin-solution-for-energy-transition

If a restrictive law would pass, it would surely make Europe fall
behind this revolution and companies, citizens like me reconsider
their idea about Europe.

Thanks for reading me.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]maroule 3 points 5 hours ago

just don't copy paste mine, but that's the general idea

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]maroule 6 points 4 hours ago

This study is also good:

    NYDIG estimates that Bitcoin mining will not represent more than
0.4% of global electricity consumption over the next decade

https://nydig.com/research/report-bitcoin-net-zero

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]zndtoshi 16 points 8 hours ago

Nobody is mining in EU anyway.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lia_ness 3 points 6 hours ago

It’s about general services relating POW cryptos not only mining - at
least that’s what the article says

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ResponsibleOwl2263 3 points 6 hours ago

true though some non EU countries will also have to apply the ban eg
Switzerland, Norway and Iceland who are EEA members or associated EU
members . These countries are obliged to apply EU law 100% all time
without exception. I think mining is big in Iceland and Swiss are
trying to get into bitcoin fintech market

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Asum_chum 3 points 8 hours ago

I’m excited at the worst case scenario as I will affordably be able to
mine and stack a lot more sats and still have a free and decentralised
money.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]evertrollz 0 points 6 hours ago

So you're paying mortgage with btc right now? Otherwise you don't have money.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]yo_otravez 3 points 5 hours ago

Who is btc echo?

When you google bitcoin ban europe you find articles on sketchy sites
from a month ago.

Also they can't keep us from bitcoin and other crypto. They have no
power over it and we have VPN

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]walloon5 3 points 3 hours ago

The Euro is starting to look like some kind of scam coin.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dedsowl 11 points 9 hours ago

Too bad I lost my seed in a boating accident

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HenryHenderson 2 points 7 hours ago

Sounds painful.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Abwfc 3 points 8 hours ago

Same!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Letsmakeitawsome 6 points 7 hours ago

Good luck with shutting down every single PC on the planet Earth.
Bitcoin is inevitable.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Kind-Impression-9198 7 points 6 hours ago

The whole point of crypto is “we don’t give a fuck what the government
says”. So say what you want, we don’t care.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]aliensmadeus 6 points 6 hours ago

i'm to tired to care about more fud

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Effective_Albatros 2 points 1 hour ago

Is it just me or does it feel like the FUD is consistently coordinated
at critical market moments; as if it's some form of attempt to shake
out paper hands so that crypto whales and now institutional investors
can feed on the weak.?.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]aliensmadeus 1 point 1 hour ago

absolutely

everytime the same thing. cant wait for [insert random greedy
institution] to officially got into crypto in a few weeks

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Free_Peoples 19 points 8 hours ago

And the EU takes yet another step towards irrelevance. Amazing.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]cyberspace2001 7 points 7 hours ago

No they don’t. It is just to scare everyone so the value drops 🤷‍♂️

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]carnyx123 7 points 6 hours ago

Fuck the European community and the global élite.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Nada_Lives 4 points 10 hours ago

Who woulda thunk?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]unsettledroell 3 points 9 hours ago

Oof

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Pixelate1991 2 points 6 hours ago

OP posted so much in Freekarma for you haha. CHeck his history

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Flaky-Illustrator-52 2 points 4 hours ago

Crypto-oriented businesses in EU:

*moves to nearest crypto-friendly or less crypto-hostile non-EU country*

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]FallingKnife_ 2 points 3 hours ago

Won't happen folks. Cool your jets.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ioube [score hidden] 7 minutes ago

Yes, this is pure FUD. EU has not agreed on anything, it's a bunch of
super left wing politicians who want to submit a proposal.

Nothing has been acted. Complete baseless article with a clock bait
title, and everyone jumps on it.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]benevs01 2 points 3 hours ago

Ha, who'd have thought Brexit would have benefits.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Tinknocker12 [score hidden] 25 minutes ago

It’s getting real ladies and gentlemen.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]FulcrumPhase 5 points 8 hours ago

Gov is being exposed in Canada the cops weren't listening to anybody
that's why they had to bring in war measures to not get exposed and
now we are going to be taught a lesson.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Guswanicarbohydrateredditor for 4 days 4 points 10 hours ago

LOL at stupid "government".

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AuroraVandomme 3 points 6 hours ago

It was inevitable. Climate fight and illegal activities fight and bam
bitcoin is banned. Easy peasy.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ResponsibleOwl2263 1 point 7 hours ago

If EU does go ahead and ban bitcoin mining (as I suspect they will),
does anyone know if that would apply to Iceland?

I understand that although Iceland (only European country that mines
asfaik) is not an EU member it is an EEA member and as such as to
comply with EU law. Right?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lia_ness 2 points 6 hours ago

No idea.. but just fyi: it’s not only about mining but also about
services relating POW cryptos

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ResponsibleOwl2263 2 points 6 hours ago

That is scary. I mean it sounds even worse that the China ban - very
limited mining is allowed in China still and even buying and holding
bitcoin there is not a crime. Of course the EU could never enforce a
ban on people buying bitcoin with use of VPNs and decentralised
exchanges but still what a terrible advert for the EU esp in terms of
protecting peoples right to own property. Surely Switzerland also
won’t be forced to ban buying/ trading bitcoin ??? Madness

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lia_ness 3 points 6 hours ago

Yeah found it scary, too.. my second reaction is: let’s wait and see.
It’s just an article that wants to be read - and it still also
mentions the more Bitcoin friendly EU Commission. Still probably good
to keep an eye on it

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BHN1618 1 point 5 hours ago

Fiat is secured by military might an offensive strategy that costs a
lot of energy in vehicles, buildings, humans, fuel etc. If you mess
with our currency we will use energy + the threat of lethal force to
stop you.

BTC is secured using a defensive strategy which uses just energy.
It's both more efficient and creates a disincentive for military force
and possible bloodshed.

When this narrative becomes clear and takes off it will become obvious
which is more efficient.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]daRaam 1 point 7 hours ago

Good look with that.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BeefSupreme2 1 point 7 hours ago

They will only be able to apply pressure to exchanges and large mining
operations. This would be good for decentralization, and futile.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]R0Y-BATTY 1 point 7 hours ago

This is the equivalent of government's telling the tide not to rise.
It's also laughable - BTC and crypto probably makes up a decent % of
most country's investment portfolio's even if they are unaware of it.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]P13453D0nt84nM3 1 point 6 hours ago

Finally something good about being a Brit that is dealing with Brexit.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Jaseur 1 point 5 hours ago

I'd love to think we're smart enough to go the opposite route on this
but who knows.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DOG-ZILLA 1 point 6 hours ago

Why don't they target dirty miners instead of BTC in general?

If the environment is really what they care about then we should be
putting in effort to have greener energy? We should be building, wind,
solar and nuclear plants.

The recent Ukraine crisis in relation to natural gas is already enough
to tell you that the EU has done very little to remove themselves from
fossil fuels.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Stuunfete 1 point 6 hours ago

Ahah funny man

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]angrydanmarin 1 point 6 hours ago

How do I get my bitcoin off the exchange and into a wallet for free?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]GirouxUNGH 1 point 6 hours ago

Won’t they just lose more crypto gain tax money the more they
ban/sanction as people will move towards defi?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ResponsibleOwl2263 1 point 6 hours ago

Question: as ridiculous as this proposal sounds could EU in theory
decide to blacklist bitcoin wallet addresses and also forbid companies
in Europe transacting with them? Something like Canada is trying to do

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]walloon5 1 point 5 hours ago

Well we still need to fight the good fight.

Hopefully bitcoin helps renewable plants find quicker ROI, helps the
power industries balance load and have a profitable easy customer, and
becomes too profitable overall for them to fight it.

In the meantime, we should hope to stall stall stall them.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Apprehensive-Log-849redditor for a day 1 point 5 hours ago

I would have grown tired of countries trying to ban bitcoin already if
it weren't for the fact it still seems to make it cheaper for me to
buy.

I do feel bad for the people stuck in the EU but they're smart enough
and should soon figure out that people are supposed to control
governments, not the other way around.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]NegotiationNice9291 1 point 4 hours ago

I still can use tether or dai, right?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]castironmop 1 point 4 hours ago

In recent news the king of fartland is banning rain from pouring over fartland

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Michichael 1 point 4 hours ago

It's adorable that these governments think that Bitcoin cares about their laws.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Post-void-dribbler[🍰] 1 point 4 hours ago

They need to ban it for rolling in CBDC

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Libertos 1 point 4 hours ago

Money and crypto will go where they are treated best. Glad I can have
Bitcoin stored in my head (by seed phrase) and travel unimpeded. Good
luck banning crypto bitches…

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sayskoombah 1 point 4 hours ago

Nothing from nothing leave nothing. At least wait for a
human-translated document.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]kwaker88 1 point 2 hours ago

Does the plan include gold silver and copper? Should it?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]thecoat9 1 point 2 hours ago

Government banning bitcoin is like trying to contain water by
tightening your fist around it.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Markenbier 1 point 2 hours ago

I am a fan of the eu and defend it whenever I can. But to be honest,
this is just outright dishonest. Who do they think believes this
obvious lie. It's not about the environment. I'm also heavily for
climate regulations, but this is exactly the point. Those regulations
don't happen. The places where a regulation could bring significant
progress where left untouched for decades now. We have a huge problem
with corrupt politicians not caring about the climate. Infact, climate
regulations are actively slowed down. I simply don't believe those
people, who don't act in the interests of our future and have proven
many many times that they'll take money before anything else, that
this time it's for the climate. There is a tendency to shift digital
currencies towards gov controlled, centralized systems and this is one
of the many initiatives following this motive.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HODL0908 1 point 2 hours ago

These fucking assholes always with their shitty environmental agendas
and arguments as an excuse to regulate the everlasting fuck out of our
lives. They all deserve to hang

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Supermann-redditor for 6 weeks 1 point 2 hours ago

Who cares. It is 2025. By then, BTC will be ETF-traded and there will
be no effect from this bs.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PresJohnTyler 1 point 1 hour ago

Crypto is really making me despise left wing politics.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BeansBakerNumber5redditor for 1 week 1 point 1 hour ago

In the words of one Vikki Nuland: "Fuck the EU".

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]milkman1218 1 point 1 hour ago

Bitcoin is bad for the environment is just insane to me. It's almost
like the oil industry, weapons manufacturing and rich oligarchies have
never had a negative impact on the environment. Meanwhile, BTC might
be the only catalyst to finally force the modern age of humans to
finally use reusable resources in mass.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BalanceAdept8939 1 point 1 hour ago

Name 1 single law against Schrute bucks !! One just name one you idots
!! Please tell me one law that stops the trading of schrute bucks ???

Ok now you realize this isn’t a f ing game it’s for real and they
scared Back out now if you are too

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]GoBigorGoHome687 [score hidden] 43 minutes ago

Just vote the libs out and the dust will settle

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Lanky_Ad_6474 [score hidden] 30 minutes ago

Bitcoin donations appreciated to the little kids who need it more.

16MUhGb4PHpNcaGkxiLHJXZanaSmGH9gGp

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]0x1a3c3e7redditor for 3 months [score hidden] 11 minutes ago

They prefer PoS coins, not because PoS uses less energy but because
they are so easy to dominate.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[+]Perfect_Ability_1190 -15 points 8 hours ago

Proof of work is garbage 🗑

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ejjVAL -1 points 7 hours ago

Fuck

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–][deleted] 6 hours ago

[deleted]

[–]PNW4LYFE 0 points 3 hours ago

It's official, Bitcoin is dead. Time to pack it up y'all.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]GoBigorGoHome687 [score hidden] 48 minutes ago

Canceled my trip to Europe. They don’t accept BTC. Oh well. Beaches in
El Salvador are pretty nice