Cryptocurrency: Canada's Banks Go Offline, Abuse Rights, Censor Customers [re Life Under CBDCs and GovCorp Coins]

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 03:44:36 PST 2022

War on your Financial Freedom...
Not buying enough of the right consumer products...
Not donating to the powers dujour...
Speaking freely...
Lose your bank accounts...

Canadian Lawmaker Claims Single Mom Had Bank Account Frozen After
Donating $50 To Freedom Convoy

https://www.theepochtimes.com/canadian-lawmaker-claims-single-mom-had-bank-account-frozen-after-giving-50-to-freedom-convoy_4293783.html

https://twitter.com/markstrahl/status/1495152305364164617

Canadian politician Mark Strahl on Feb. 20 claimed that a single mom
with a minimum wage job had her bank account frozen after she
“legally” donated $50 to the Freedom Convoy.

Strahl, a Conservative, took to Twitter to criticize Prime Minister
Justin Trudeau for the Emergencies Act, which was invoked for the
first time in Canada’s history to address the impact of the ongoing
protests against COVID-19 mandates and restrictions by truckers and
their supporters.

    “Briane is a single mom from Chilliwack working a minimum wage
job,” Strahl wrote on Twitter on Feb. 20.

    “She gave $50 to the convoy when it was 100% legal. She hasn’t
participated in any other way. Her bank account has now been frozen.
This is who Justin Trudeau is actually targeting with his Emergencies
Act orders.”

Strahl was soon pressed by other Twitter users to provide further
details and verification regarding his claims about the single mother
and her allegedly frozen bank account.

    It's been very troubling watching both traditional media and
people on social media cheering on the suspension of civil rights in
response to the protests in Ottawa. Here is a portion of my
Emergencies Act speech that is particularly relevant given the current
situation. pic.twitter.com/ye5J0RoDoB
    — Mark Strahl, MP (@markstrahl) February 19, 2022

However, the Chilliwack-Hope MP refused to do so, stating that he did
not want to publish identifying information about the woman online
that could be used with malicious intent.

“Thank you to those who have read this and offered to help someone
you’ve never met,” he wrote in a second post.

    “Shame on those who have read it and attacked someone you’ve never
met. I will keep working with Briane to resolve this matter with her
bank and will provide updates as they are made available.”

He added, “To those of you, especially the media, demanding more
details on Briane, having seen what has been said about her online
today and what has been done to other convoy donors in the last weeks
I am not going to help you dox her. I know who she is and I won’t stop
fighting for her.”

A police officer smashes a truck window as police deploy to remove
protesters in Ottawa on Feb. 19, 2022. (Dave Chan/AFP via Getty
Images)

In a statement on Feb. 21, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
said account-freezing powers under the Emergency Economic Measures
Order (Emergencies Act), pertained to “individuals who were
influencers in the illegal protest in Ottawa, and owners and/or
drivers of vehicles who did not want to leave the area impacted by the
protest.”

    “At no time, did we provide a list of donors to financial
institutions,” RCMP said.

    “We are now working with the banks to build a process to address
the accounts that were frozen,” RCMP added.

Mike Duheme, RCMP deputy commissioner of federal policing, announced
on Feb. 20 that police had frozen 206 financial products, including
bank and corporate accounts, of individuals and companies allegedly
involved in the ongoing protests in Ottawa.

Duheme said at a news conference that the RCMP had also disclosed the
information of 56 entities associated with vehicles, individuals, and
companies. Officials also shared 253 bitcoin addresses with virtual
currency exchanges, and froze a payment processing account valued at
$3.8 million, Duheme said.

The RCMP has not said what will happen to the money that has been
frozen by financial institutions or indicated that those who donated
money to the Freedom Convoy were included.

    “We continue to work at collecting relevant information on
persons, vehicles, and companies and remain in daily communication
with the financial institutions to assist them,” Duheme told
reporters.

However, at a press briefing on Feb. 21, Trudeau was asked if regular
individuals making donations to support the Freedom Convoy were having
their bank accounts frozen, to which he responded that “the measures
we put in place are designed and focused on ensuring the people in the
current illegal occupations leave,” the Vancouver Sun reported.

    “That has been the intent and the focus right now. If there are
specific cases that Conservative ministers can bring forward to
highlight where that is not the case, we would happily look at them
and look to resolve them,” said Trudeau.

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland also reiterated that the
financial sanctions are aimed at targeting leaders and those who were
part of illegal occupations and blockades.

    “It’s important for all of us to be very, very careful to get our
facts exactly right in each circumstance, and I would urge all of us
to take that care in every situation,” she said.

    “The RCMP has given to the financial institutions names of leaders
and organizers of the protests and of people whose trucks were part of
occupations and blockades. That is the only information given,
according to the RCMP, that the RCMP has given to financial
institutions.”

The Epoch Times has contacted the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and
Mark Strahl for comment.