Avenues for Data Preservation?

Douglas Lucas dal at riseup.net
Sun Feb 20 07:09:54 PST 2022

Hi, I am not sure what the best outcome is, but your scenario sounds
interesting and one that many people might be in. You might find the
conversations and FAQs at r/DataHoarder/ and similar subreddits might be
helpful. I think also a lot of people in such a scenario try to run
their own private server, like rent a small one somewhere, or have a
volunteer do so (which is sketchy loss of control over one's own
infrastructure), and then backup your encrypted data remotely to/from
the private server. Perhaps with decent enough file tree organization on
a hard drive -- although most have gone to just using "search" instead
of logical file tree structure -- it would be easy to create a script
for something like openssl to create a 256-aes-cbc encrypted file of
your own hard drive or the portions of that hard drive worth keeping.