[notes][spam] pursuing dgit/gitopia

Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of Many gmkarl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 05:57:43 PST 2022

It looks like https://gitopia.com/ , which is starting their own
global code repository blockchain based on some mainstream blockchain
library, started based off arweave, a permastorage chain that is still
alive and well-reputed. The new blockchain is still testnet, but
arweave is mainnet. The web interface is still usable at
https://d7ehv42hkcybtz3diemrodxwhpsm6gxdtn2ozui6sxtqakc44kja.arweave.net/H8h680dQsBnnY0EZFw72O-TPGuObdOzRHpXnAChc4pI/

Note: they are big nodejs fans. Everything is typescript and
javascript. So this project has that property in pair with secure
scuttlebutt, which also provides a decentralised code repository
system.

Here is my draft of how one could get set up using immutable code
storage. I'm using ardrive-cli because I am interested in storing
other files from the command line too, rather than just git
repositories.

# install stuff
sudo npm install -g ardrive-cli # ardrive command
sudo npm install -g typescript
sudo npm install -g @thetechtrap/dgit # dgit command

# generate wallet
export ARWEAVE_WALLET_PATH=$HOME/.arweave_wallet.json
ardrive generate-wallet "$(ardrive generate-seedphrase | tr -d '"')" >
"$ARWEAVE_WALLET_PATH"

# remove cruft from wallet file if present, otherwise it breaks stuff
# https://github.com/ardriveapp/ardrive-cli/issues/248
sed -i "$ARWEAVE_WALLET_PATH" 's/^{"jwk"://; s/}}$/}/;'

# i think dgit is now like the poor man's git, and can clone stuff
using dgit:// urls or somesuch