USA 2024 Elections Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 23:13:05 PST 2022

Democrats responsible
"They should continue  -- Kamala Harris"

Rolex Watch Theft Wave Hits Major Western Cities

Timepiece aficionados are leaving their Rolex, Patek, Audemars Piguet,
and other expensive watches at home as they attempt to stay under
criminals' radar while in public. From Los Angeles to Manhattan to
London to Paris, violent high-end watch robberies are rising.

    "I outright stopped wearing it [stainless steel Rolex Submariner]
on the subway.

    "I don't want to draw attention to myself in that way" amid the
spate of subway crimes, New York City resident Troy Barmore told
NYTimes in August.

While watch theft statistics are limited in major metro areas,
authorities across the US and Europe have warned about a wave of
criminals targeting affluent people for their timepieces.

Bloomberg reported London's Metropolitan Police Service recorded a
staggering 60% jump in knife-point robberies. In Paris, an entire
police task force has been assigned to investigate luxury watch theft.

    "This is a top priority for us, and we have already made a number
of arrests.

    "No one should have to go about their day in fear of thieves,"
said London Detective Chief Superintendent Owain Richards.

Police data in London shows 667 Rolex watches were stolen from people
between January and September, up from 60 over the same period last
year. The average value of watches stolen in the English capital
exceeded 10,000 pounds this summer.

Watch owners insure their timepieces, but that's the least of their
worries because they could become victims of a violent robbery. Some
who sport these watches have taken them off and placed them in winder
boxes.

And back to the US, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said 206
thefts involving at least one watch valued at $5,000 or more occurred
between Jan. 1 through mid-November. That's a 30% increase over the
same period last year.

Organized crime gangs have been mainly on the prowl, scoping out
wealthy folks, either at their homes or in public, waiting to pounce
and steal expensive jewelry. These thefts are also happening at home.

    "We are definitely seeing examples of robberies and thefts of
luxury watches taking place across North America," Tannie Ng, a senior
underwriter for luxury collections at Chubb Ltd., said in an
interview.

With that in mind, it's safer to wear less expensive and or no jewelry
at all. And for those who want to wear fancy jewelry despite the
risks, well, wearing body armor and or legally concealing a weapon
could be your best shot at survival as the western world plummets into
a crime-infested liberal utopia.