1984: Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 20:44:59 PST 2022

When are you going to get up off your ass and fight?

https://summit.news/2022/12/28/nyc-mayor-declares-big-brother-is-protecting-you/

https://summit.news/2019/10/08/chinese-citizens-will-need-to-pass-facial-recognition-test-to-use-the-internet/

NYC Mayor Declares "Big Brother Is Protecting You"

New York City Mayor Eric Adams responded to criticism over increasing
the use of facial recognition technology by declaring, “Big Brother is
protecting you!”

Adams made the comments in response to elected officials who expressed
concerns that using such technology could lead to an all-pervasive
surveillance state.

Blaming his predecessor Bill de Blasio, Adams asserted that New
Yorkers felt they were living in a “state of lawlessness” and that his
priority was to “stabilise” the situation.

Facial recognition technology uses surveillance cameras to flag up
individuals who appear on databases of criminal suspects when they
enter certain public locations, although the technology is far from
perfect.

    “We will also move forward on using the latest in technology to
identify problems, follow up on leads and collect evidence — from
facial recognition technology to new tools that can spot those
carrying weapons, we will use every available method to keep our
people safe,” Adams previously asserted.

The Democrat also brazenly suggested that mass surveillance wasn’t a
chilling slippery slide, but in fact a good thing.

    “It blows my mind how much we have not embraced technology, and
part of that is because many of our electeds are afraid. Anything
technology they think, ‘Oh it’s a boogeyman. It’s Big Brother watching
you,'” he told Politico.

    “No, Big Brother is protecting you.”

As in George Orwell’s 1984 dystopian classic, Adams presumably thinks
that New Yorkers will learn to ‘love Big Brother’.

Albert Fox Cahn, the head of the Surveillance Technology Oversight
Project, responded by warning that facial recognition technology would
be weaponized to crack down on “every aspect of dissent” in the city.

    “These are technologies that would be chilling in anyone’s hands.
But to give an agency with such a horrifying record of surveillance
abuse even more power, at a time when they face dwindling oversight,
is a recipe for disaster,” he said.

Civil liberties advocates have warned that making facial recognition
technology ubiquitous could lead to a Minority Report-style society
where everyone, whether they have a criminal record or not, is tracked
everywhere they go.

In China, authorities expanded the use of the tech as a form of
permission slip to decide whether citizens are allowed to get online,
an extension of the Communist state’s social credit score program.

    “At present, a Chinese citizen will need to show his or her ID
card while applying for a landline or the internet,” reported the
Daily Mail.

    “The facial-recognition test is set to verify that the ID card
belongs to the applicant.”

As we previously highlighted, technology that reveals a person’s
identity without them even knowing they are being exposed has long
been a goal of globalist technocrats.