Cryptocurrency: Buttcoiners Debate Anarchism v Libertarianism

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 22:24:11 PST 2022

"I'd rather have this planet burn than having the government control
our freedom" by an environmentalist

https://old.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/zmfkbc/id_rather_have_this_planet_burn_than_having_the/

[–]No-Significance-7355 442 points 22 hours ago

"I’m more of a libertarian than an environmentalist". You don’t say.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]breecher 349 points 21 hours ago

So not an environmentalist at all then.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SinibusUSG 167 points 18 hours ago

They would prefer the environment be positively impacted all else
equal, but are unwilling to countenance even the slightest action to
save it, and will in fact endorse initiatives that harm it.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Chad_Broski_2 57 points 17 hours ago

Basically "I wish the environment wasn't fucked but if the gubbermint
tries to save it and gubbermint = bad then I can't abide"

The classic libertarian dilemma of...let's give everyone unlimited
freedom to pollute our air and water and destroy the planet because
I'm sure everyone will be responsible enough to not let that happen!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]skycake10 33 points 16 hours ago

"yeah I'm an environmentalist: I believe the environment has always
existed and always will exist no matter what we do to it"

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Direct-Cranberry1307 4 points 12 hours ago

It will certainly exist. Whether or not it remains capable of
supporting human life is another matter.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]karma911 40 points 17 hours ago

No you see, he's an environmental originalist: He believes the
environment should be viewed through the lens of when it was first
created, which is the good old days when it was a large ball of molten
rock and ash.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Jaazeps 1 point 14 hours ago

This needs to be the top reply

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]rwhitisissle 50 points 16 hours ago

I'm gonna say that because this is reddit, I'm going to give him the
benefit of the doubt and say he's just a confused 19 year old that's
trying to figure out who he is and he's trying on different hats that
"feel right" without any concern for ideological consistency. "I like
nature and stuff and realize climate change is real" -
environmentalist hat. "I hate the government because they took $200
out of my paycheck at my part time job and I had to wait an extra two
weeks to buy a PS5" - Libertarian hat.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DororoFlatchestwarning, I am a moron 10 points 13 hours ago

He's 46.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]rwhitisissle 4 points 10 hours ago

Yeah, but mentally he's 19.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]agent_double_oh_piPlease reset my flair 7 points 21 hours ago

Came here to say this.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]unweariedslooth 2 points 11 hours ago

Basically he's a selfish short sided jerk trying to pretend to have
some moral position to mitigate being a total clown.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]No-Significance-7355 5 points 21 hours ago

I’m not sure what it means TBH. It can mean they work as a technician
in an environment field, it does not necessarily mean activism, does
it ?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]pnt510 34 points 21 hours ago

No, it definitely does mean activist.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]No-Significance-7355 12 points 21 hours ago

So yeah. Definitely not environmentalist

(In my language it means both)

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]JMBBZ 6 points 19 hours ago

It mostly means stupidity

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]No-Significance-7355 25 points 19 hours ago

Libertarian ? I agree

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]xoxchitliac 76 points 20 hours ago

These people are just top-tier morons. Even Milton fucking Friedman
thought the government should regulate against environmental harm.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]No-Significance-7355 48 points 19 hours ago

They are literal 2yo babies : entirely self-centered and irritated by
any form of limit or rules

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]not_mahiNot sure what to type. We are fucked. 22 points 17 hours ago

Or house cats, fiercely independent so long as there's a system taking
care of all their needs that they don't acknowledge or appreciate.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]No-Significance-7355 14 points 15 hours ago

Cats make me less depressed. Libertarians have the opposite effect

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]taggospreme 11 points 15 hours ago

cats are probably a bad example since they're not even truly
domesticated. They self-domesticated and are still highly effective
predators to the point of massive environmental damage.

Maybe a pug. Inbred to the point of deformity and has difficulty
breathing. Poor instincts for the wild. And would be just a snack to a
hungry predator.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]Redqueenhypo 10 points 16 hours ago

That guy was weird. Genius mathematician who invented statistical
tests still in use today, also advocated against seatbelt laws.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]xoxchitliac 21 points 16 hours ago

He also ruined the world by inspiring Reagan and Thatcher to shrink
the state at the cost of any semblance of social cohesion and we're
still dealing with the after effects today.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dan_pitt 12 points 15 hours ago

Very true. Though I question whether he "inspired" them so much, but
rather was a convenient excuse for their selfish, pro-rich policies.
Friedman was their fig leaf.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]powercow 9 points 14 hours ago

people against seatbelt laws should have to spend a week cleaning up
the dead who flew through windshields at the low pay our gov low level
workers get.

And then remind us why they are against the law. We dont do the law to
keep republicans from killing themselves. WE do the law because not
having seatbelts is more expensive to society.

Accounting for this reimbursement, the first year savings to the State
by implementation of a primary seat belt law would be about $0.6
million. Arkansas could expect to have saved $4.2 million in the first
5 years and $11.1 million over 10 years.

HEY REPUBLICANS AND LIBERTARIANS, THis means their is more money for a
tax cut for people who absolutely dont need a tax cut, like yall are
so fond of doing.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DororoFlatchestwarning, I am a moron 1 point 13 hours ago

'Seatbelts are communism!'

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]VoiceofKane 15 points 15 hours ago

"I like the planet a lot, but I hate poor people more."

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Kilahti 6 points 14 hours ago

I would have gone with:

"I like the planet a lot, but if something were to inconvenience me,
then it has gone too far."

...But your comment describes a lot of Libertarians too.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dan_pitt 1 point 15 hours ago

I'm stealing this.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]redholio 32 points 19 hours ago

Greed won against virtue signaling.

He was never an environmentalist.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Potential-Coat-7233Crypto is a stick fort in the backyard. 14
points 18 hours ago

I went through a libertarian phase, and in theory, if you could
properly price the damage that economic actors do to the environment,
a proper tax by the government would be appropriate. Of course
assigning that price is next to impossible and even if they tried,
those same theorists would fight it.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]not_mahiNot sure what to type. We are fucked. 21 points 17 hours ago

I've met even more extreme libertarians who think that if the free
market didn't want them polluting they just wouldn't support them with
their wallets. Talk about delusion.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]taggospreme 10 points 15 hours ago

Exactly. Just think about the most asshole thing you can do and given
the freedom to, someone will do it. Got a bunch of pollution to dump?
Dump it on your competitors. Then when they get a bad rep and fold,
you can keep charging exploitative prices on your necessity products.

Plebs getting angry at price gouging and so they kicked down the gate
with pea shooters in hand? Send out the private security. We'll see
how some assault rifles fare against trained mercenaries with better
weapons and even some armor units.

Not even hard to come up with this shit because it's already happening
and has happened over and over around the world. The problem isn't the
current system, whatever it is, it's always the people. Not even all
of them, just the assholes. Assholes will always maximize whatever
they can get away with, regardless of "morals" or any consideration of
others. And to think "vote with your wallet" would stop them in their
tracks just shows what kind of insulated life these naive people have.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]zepperoni-pepperoni 2 points 15 hours ago

I would say that the problem is the current system, as it seems to be
perfectly made for the assholes to climb up the ranks in power.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]powercow 7 points 14 hours ago

Rand Paul might have that beat. He said mines didnt need safty regs
because people wouldnt work at mines where people die a lot. Of course
this depends on not being one of those who died, and having some other
means of earing enough to eat, because of course hes against helping
these people get away from the area to economic opportunities besides
mining.

He added that, by honoring the free market above all, “no one will
apply for those jobs” if a mine doesn’t do a good job protecting
worker safety.

LETS JUST IGNORE HISTORY SAYS BULLSHIT, we didnt use to have as many
regs protecting workers, we added them because they died too much on
the job.

and i like this little quote...

    As Paul explained, he doesn’t understand mine safety rules, “so
don’t give me the power in Washington to be making rules.”

But we should allow you the power to block those same rules you dont understand?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]JohnDavidsBooty 2 points 12 hours ago

lol

like, that's literally the reason we have administrative rulemaking,
because of course it's ridiculous to expect Congresspeople to
understand the complexities of every single thing that happens
everywhere so we create a system of regulatory agencies where those
who do know what they're talking about are empowered to make the
rules, subject to public notice and comment controls and Congressional
oversight and override to protect against them getting out of hand

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SaltyPockets 4 points 14 hours ago

And in the next breath they'll say they're not required to publish
information about how their products are made.

They're just assholes basically.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]not_mahiNot sure what to type. We are fucked. 2 points 14 hours ago

Bro you can't ask tether to publish an audit bro how they keep their
dollar backing is a trade secret bro

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]CoDn00b95 3 points 13 hours ago

I saw one once who said that the worst thing people can ever say about
private corporations is that they don't provide a good service, as
opposed to governments executing people. Uhh, I'll think you'll find
that the worst thing people can say about private corporations is more
along the lines of, "Oh no, they put antifreeze in the wine again".

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]No-Significance-7355 24 points 17 hours ago

"Tax by the government" is probably the least libertarian thing you could say

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Potential-Coat-7233Crypto is a stick fort in the backyard. 13
points 17 hours ago

To be more specific, the vision outlined by Milton Friedman was a
carbon offset market with government mandating compliance, and he
viewed it as a justified role of government. The carbon offsets, if
priced appropriately, would discourage bad behavior, or if collected,
be used as revenue by the government.

It sounds good, but in reality libertarians would fight against it.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TheCleaverguy 5 points 6 hours ago

Libertarianism sure does struggle with facing actual reality.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dotnon 5 points 17 hours ago

Moderate libertarianism would accept some taxes, it's just the option
of last resort. What we're dealing with here are absolutist loons.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HermanCainsGhost 9 points 16 hours ago

I find, as a dude who is nearly 40, libertarians in their 20s that
I’ve encountered tend to go in two paths - one, they go hardcore
absolutist, and in the other, they tend to go more and more left. I’ve
seen both on multiple occasions

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]Feed_My_Brain 7 points 17 hours ago

Dr. Libertarianism

Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Carbon Tax

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Potential-Coat-7233Crypto is a stick fort in the backyard. 3 points
17 hours ago

There’s no farting in the gas room!!!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]stoatsoup 3 points 17 hours ago

    if you could properly price the damage that economic actors do to
the environment

And if I had unicorns in my garden, I could fertilise the rosebush
more effectively. :-)

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Potential-Coat-7233Crypto is a stick fort in the backyard. 3 points
17 hours ago

that’s why I’m not a libertarian anymore.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]powercow 3 points 14 hours ago

You just gave one of the main arguments against libertarianism. External costs.

and WE DO DO THIS TO A DEGREE. THink of the public lands grazing fees
that dickhead republican took over a reserve because he didnt want to
pay for the damage his cattle do to public lands. To help maintain
those lands so his kids cattle could also eat on those lands.

anyways everything about your comment is non libertarian as it would
take an even stronger regulatory and oversight network to do it your
way than just do it the way we do now with fees and rules.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DororoFlatchestwarning, I am a moron 1 point 13 hours ago

    a proper tax by the government

No libertarian believes any such thing is possible. What are you, a
communist? /s

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Nonadventures 4 points 17 hours ago

I’m more of a meat eater than a vegetarian

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]No-Significance-7355 -3 points 17 hours ago

Then you don’t understand what environmentalist means

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]hoodied 2 points 15 hours ago

I'd rather everyone be dead instead of having government.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]powercow 1 point 14 hours ago

libertarian is code for anti society douchebag. My biggest complaint
about that lot is they think its never been tried when new markets
mostly start off reg free and we add regs when that blows up in our
faces. Most other "isms" try to fix the flaws in libertarianism. ITs
kinda the default concept to not regulate activities.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Sine_Fine_Belli 1 point 2 hours ago

r/enoughlibertarianspam

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TheGangsterrapper 128 points 19 hours ago

This person is not an environmentalist.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[+]dougChristiesWife comment score below threshold  (9 children)

[–]MagnesiumOvercast 1 point 7 hours ago

Warhammer 40k villain

LET THE GALAXY BURN

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]casapulapula 81 points 22 hours ago

Not a cult!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]EmergencySituation90 5 points 16 hours ago

They're just still early, you'll see!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Cruix_09 74 points 18 hours ago

    I am an enviromentalist

Spoiler: He never was and made that up.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]StableCoinScamflair value guaranteed by limited supply 31 points 15
hours ago

This is equivalent to "i have black friends".

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Rokey76Ponzi Schemes have some use cases 27 points 14 hours ago

"Some of my best friends are black for Halloween."

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SamSibbens 1 point 5 hours ago

I accidentally did this once...

In my defense, I was 11 years old. I was dressing as a monk and the
goal was to give me somewhat of a tan. The makeup thing I used made my
skin a LOT darker than intended.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]clit_eastwood_ 48 points 22 hours ago

What do they mean by CBDC being “rolled out”? Is this actually happening now?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Jankylad 111 points 22 hours ago

He read on Twitter the FTX collapse was a plot (((they))) made to take
over crypto and introduce CBDCs. Like he said, he has no choice but to
burn down a rainforest to send imaginary coins to centralised
exchanges based in the Caymans who can't pass an audit.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]not_mahiNot sure what to type. We are fucked. 16 points 17 hours ago

Centralized exchanges based on Caymans? Excuse me, no one knows where
Binance is based out of.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Jankylad 10 points 16 hours ago

True. Centralised exchanges with postboxes in the Caymans as the only
physical way of contact*

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Rokey76Ponzi Schemes have some use cases 1 point 14 hours ago

I think Caymans is where Tether is.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]hydroza 19 points 22 hours ago

Their version of FUD.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]option-9I Paid the Price 13 points 19 hours ago

India made the digital rupee (it's not going well). Russia is working
on the digital rubel, I believe.

I can recognise a pattern when I see one. The reminbi (spelling?) and
real must be next!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Stenbuck 9 points 18 hours ago

Our central bank has mentioned the digital real a few times already,
so right you are! But it could just be talk also. And we already have
a very robust free, instant, 24/7 payments system that although isn't
technically a digital currency, is close enough in functionality that
it won't really change that much for most people.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Chicago_53 0 points 14 hours ago

I think a digital US currency is inevitable, and I’m not sure if I
like the idea at all

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]option-9I Paid the Price 1 point 13 hours ago

I'm not sure what upgrade a CBDC would be over existing digital money.
Just guessed some currencies with R where I could see such a thing
happen (and I'd put Brazil in a "similar to Russia and India" basket
here, for China I'd just expect them for eventually outlaw cash and
use a CBDC to reinforce surveillance)

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Stenbuck 1 point 12 hours ago

Basically allowing people to have accounts directly with the central
bank, reducing counterparty risk and forcing private banks to provide
better yields on deposits to attract clients. If it would actually
work or not I don't think is possible to know at this point, but
that's the general idea, I guess.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Rokey76Ponzi Schemes have some use cases 2 points 14 hours ago

As far as I can tell, most of my US dollars are digital.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]option-9I Paid the Price 1 point 13 hours ago

They're not a CBDC, unlike the two I mentioned.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Rokey76Ponzi Schemes have some use cases 1 point 12 hours ago

What is the difference and why would I care?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[+]jackietreehorn2022 comment score below threshold  (7 children)

[–]MacHaggis 78 points 20 hours ago

    Late fiscal policy made by this whole Covid19 thing

wtf does this even mean?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]bee_administrator 105 points 19 hours ago

Governments intervened to support the workers when the economy was shut down.

This made Libertarians very, very angry.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]csappenf 16 points 15 hours ago

Back when I was a 19 year old libertarian, I would just smoke a bowl
whenever I got angry. Which was pretty much most of the time. Then I
would rant about how the smog in LA was a result of the government not
letting the free market solve the problem. Somehow. I had reasons, but
I was also on a lot of drugs and can't remember what they were. In
retrospect, I think I was a libertarian because they were always cool
about the drugs.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ApatheticWithoutTheA 3 points 13 hours ago

That’s exactly why I supported Ron Paul back in college in 09 lol.
Legalizing drugs was number one on my list of priorities regardless of
if the country would have went to hell.

Legalizing drugs is still important to me but I’m not voting for a
fucking Libertarian to do it.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]mandiblesofdoom 26 points 17 hours ago

Angry libertarians! Oh no!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Praximus_Prime_ARGOne True Libertarian 15 points 16 hours ago

    Angry libertarians! Oh no!

As a Libertarian you won't like me when I'm angry

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]MacHaggis 9 points 16 hours ago

Oh wow, an actual libertarian VS librarian.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Flatbush_Zombie 6 points 14 hours ago

Is this the same guy?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]Isredel 1 point 9 hours ago

    so, uh, when was the last time you hugged your children?

Dayum.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]CoolSwim1776 19 points 19 hours ago

It's like the worst people gravitate to the worst things.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]MKorostoffNot Big Tony. Anything but Big Tony! 13 points 17 hours ago

$1000 says this guy's been in the cult for years. This post reeks of
/r/asablackman

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Kat-Shaw 13 points 16 hours ago

"by this whole Covid19 thing"

So gonna presume he is one of those conspiracy whackos.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]WillistheWillow 29 points 21 hours ago*

Can someone explain the difference between Libertarianism and anarchy
to me? It seems modern Libertarianism is in favour of no government at
all, which means no rules or laws.

That's what's so wacky about these people. If we reached this level of
anarchy, we would find ourselves back in feudal times, where the
biggest bully with the most amount of soldiers and weapons is in
charge. Basically we'd be living in dictatorships, where we're forced
to fight for our dictators or starve.

EDIT: Thanks everyone, didn't mean to spark a debate, but some really
interesting and well informed perspectives.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Broke22 31 points 20 hours ago

    Can someone explain the difference between Libertarianism and
anarchy to me? It seems modern Libertarianism is in favour of no
government at all, which means no rules or laws.

Libertarians irrationally believe than money will still keep working
after the goverment collapses, so they will still be able hire private
security and live safely in fortified compounds.

(Cryptolibertarians believe than fiat will stop having value but crypto will).

    That's what's so wacky about these people. If we reached this
level of anarchy, we would find ourselves back in feudal times, where
the biggest bully with the most amount of soldiers and weapons is in
charge. Basically we'd be living in dictatorships, where we're forced
to fight for our dictators or starve.

Basically this, except they believe their bitcoins will make them the
feudal lords.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TheGangsterrapper 12 points 19 hours ago*

    Libertarians irrationally believe than money will still keep
working after the goverment collapses, so they will still be able hire
private security and live safely in fortified compounds.

The gangsterrapper once had a discussion with a guy who said that
bitcoin would survive the collapse of civilization. He was not really
able to counter the argument that the collapse of civilization would
likely mean the loss of electricity.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]cherrypieandcoffee 58 points 20 hours ago

Libertarianism is anarchy for people who hate humanity.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]righthandofdog 22 points 18 hours ago*

Libertarianism is anarchy for rich assholes

Anarchists believe in some combination of people helping each other
because they want to or being strong enough to not need help.

So Anarchists and Libertarians both believe humanity is just a wolf
pack. But Libertarians blame the government for not being the alpha
already.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Cruix_09 16 points 17 hours ago*

    Anarchists believe in some combination of people helping each
other because they want to or being strong enough to not need help.

Almost. Anarchists mostly just believe that every hierarchy comes down
to being unjust in itself. Especially if the topic at hand is
something like country borders. However if you're not an "an"cap
("anarcho"capitalists)/libertarian (those two have basically the same
set of believes, even though "an"caps believe that someone respects
private property without a government to enforce it), then Anarchists
usually are not about the wild wolf pack thing or there being no rules
at all.

Anarchists still believe that there are people who will need support
and that helping each other is a good and right thing to do and that
people should in the end develop the conclusion, that profit
motivations are more of an conditioning by capitalism, which in itself
is unjust and always hierarchy based.

"An"caps on the other hand believe that they will rise to some feudal
highlord, who will be able to have first night with your new wife,
while you will just love to bend the knee and never revolt against
them. Even if they let you starve, the only thing preventing them from
being pure beings of power/the top of the foodchain is the evil
government, socialists and so on. And they want to "discuss" age of
consent laws a lot..and way too open minded.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]righthandofdog 2 points 11 hours ago

more of an anarcho-syndacalist myself

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dumwitxh 7 points 17 hours ago

And both are dumb

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Cruix_09 -2 points 17 hours ago

r/enlightenedcentrism

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]yakultjapa 3 points 14 hours ago

Not exactly, Anarchist believed people doesn't need to have a central
power or a hierarchy of power to enforce rules and organization, that
if people can decide and organized by itself, then any type of
government it is, by definition, tyrannical.

The most common concept on anarchism is people are willing to work
each other as community and overcome any social inequality as free
will, without need some incentive like money (in capitalisms) or some
central state (in communism) since any kind of hierarchy of power can
leave for abuse.

The different between libertarian and anarchist is, anarchist focus on
common good and to achieve need to end any kind of property to explore
other people (like has many houses to live by rent or have a machine
and keep the profit by themselves).

Libertarian believe no one can interfere in freedom of other while
keep capitalisms existing.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Redqueenhypo 2 points 16 hours ago

Hilarious fact: Ayn Rand said exactly this! She said it was just right
wing collectivism which she saw as worse than left wing anarchy. She
also called libertarians “right wing hippies” and disliked Reagan, she
didn’t like anyone.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]livingxf4llacy 39 points 20 hours ago

Anarchy is about abolishing all hierarchies, including those that the
capitalist system imposes on us.

Libertarians basically believe that hierarchies are great, and they
CLAIM to believe that any sort government is fundamentally immoral, so
they deny that any mechanism that is used to maintain and impose
capitalism is not infact government or a system.

Libertarianism is a vague, cruel and nonsensical political philosophy,
and you're right some libertarians have openly advocated for
feudalism, and a free market of babies.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]vodrake 13 points 18 hours ago*

Anarchists have more of a left-winged slant that government is used to
serve the rich and oppress the poor and disenfranchised. They believe
that removing government would allow comunities to run themselves in a
more equal and harmoneous manner as they see inequality as coming from
the top down.

Libertarians have more of a right-wing slant and believe that
government oppresses individual liberty and the free market, generally
at the expense of the wealthy or "future" wealthy. Removing government
would allow these individuals to prosper at the expense of the
community, which libertarians believe is fair as its a dog eat dog
world out there and it should be an individuals responsibility on
whether they survive and prosper. They seem to believe there are no
inequalities amongst people, so those who prosper would do so purely
because they deserved to, and not because they were already in the
most privilaged position. They all of course think that they would be
in the group who would rise to rule over the new system, rather than
being one of the peasants who would be exploited by the new feudal
class now there's no laws to protect them. A lot also seem to have odd
ideas regarding age of consent laws

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Holiday_Parsnip_9841 10 points 19 hours ago

In my experience growing up in a state with too many libertarians and
anarchists, there’s not much daylight between the two.

The big distinguishing factor is libertarians start conservative and
anarchists start progressive, then both become so extreme that
horseshoe political theory kicks in and they end up with very similar
beliefs and practices.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Redqueenhypo 4 points 16 hours ago

They both have a tendency to shift towards identical theories about
how “they” control finance and the government

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]GunnSmokeeee 2 points 18 hours ago

if you go far enough to either side you meet the other side - Thomas Shelby

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ButtcoinSpy 2 points 20 hours ago

Libertarians are just pro weed conservatives.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AmericanScream 2 points 15 hours ago

There are all kinds of libertarians, but the most common version
people talk about right now are the right-wing styles: minarchist,
anarcho capitalist, that are basically anarchists, but they don't mind
the existence of a central authority, provided that central authority
exists to exclusively represent and defend their personal interests.
Yes, it's that narcissistic and childish.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Traditional-Ad3161 2 points 15 hours ago

Anarchists oppose feudalism.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]WillistheWillow 1 point 14 hours ago

I'm sure they do. But in an anarchic system, might is right, feudalism
would take root whether anarchists like it or not. Unless there were
unlimited resources of every imaginable kind. Which is impossible.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]skycake10 2 points 16 hours ago

Anarchy and libertarianism are superficially similar, but they arrive
there from basically the opposite directions.

Libertarianism prioritizes the rights of the individual and thinks the
state should exist in the smallest amount possible (in theory, I doubt
most libertarians would actually be okay driving on only private toll
roads). It's inherently hierarchical because in practice it's not much
more than "might makes right".

Anarchism has some right-wing flavors too, but the one most people
think of is left-wing and also considers the state an inherently
oppressive force, but instead of being focused on the individual it's
focused on small, in theory non-hierarchical communities.

I don't think anarchism is much more viable than libertarianism in
practice, but I'm MUCH more sympathetic to the ideology.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]StopHavingAnOpinion 3 points 18 hours ago

The difference in practice is little but in theory is pretty much the
attitude. Anarchists believe that the government is bad because
government's are bad.jpg, but lolbertarians believe governments are
bad because they prevent them from exploiting more than they already
do. Usually under the guise of "overregulating" when you aren't
allowed to force someone to work 20 hours in a coal mine. Both are
delusional and both have their varying levels of cruelty, but
libertarians don't hide their intentions or their model world, which
anarchists can at least hide behind reasonable doubt to escape
criticism.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]devliegende 0 points 18 hours ago*

Libertarianism as it existed before the internet and bitcoin mostly
said that government should be confined to the essentials. In the case
of the USA the Federal government would have 4 departments. State
(Foreign Affairs). Defence, Treasury and Justice. Everything else
should be at the State and Local level or private.
Kinda 1750s with a bill of rights.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Sr_Carlos_Danger 6 points 16 hours ago

A Bill of "Rights" with no enforcement mechanism. A Bill of good vibes

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]devliegende 1 point 11 hours ago

Dept. Of Justice consists of the courts, the fbi and marshals.
Anything you want to enforce, can be enforced. The president may also
activate the military. Like Washington did during the whiskey
rebellion.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Sr_Carlos_Danger 1 point 7 hours ago

Lol unless there are, you know, rights you might want to have that
don't involve having people shot. There's no number of thugs that will
make chemo administer itself, there's no dictatorship so competent
that you won't notice your kids can't read, and there's nobody you can
sue to bring back life and free speech.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]pointman -4 points 17 hours ago

You’ve received a lot of silly un-serious responses. Let me try.

Libertarians believe people shouldn’t use force to compel others to do
something they don’t choose for themselves, including the government.
The one exception would be to enforce laws that are designed to
protect people from others using force against them. Basically,
maximum freedom up to the point of people using their freedom to
restrict the freedom of others. Maximum personal responsibility and
minimum government required to maintain that system.

Anarchists don’t even want a government police force.

They are not the same.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]KamikazeArchon 3 points 11 hours ago

    Libertarians believe people shouldn’t use force to compel others
to do something they don’t choose for themselves, including the
government. The one exception would be to enforce laws that are
designed to protect people from others using force against them.

This is significantly incomplete.

The actual biggest exception libertarians want is the enforcement of
laws designed to enact the will of a specific group, "the wealthy".
Libertarians would be more correctly termed "propertarians", as the
actual #1 rule for them is that the state-enforced monopoly that we
call "property rights" must be enforced above all else.

Of course, this "exception" is big enough to drive a fully-loaded
Saturn V rocket through, and largely obviates any claim to seek
"maximum freedom" because pretty much every form of control can be
reframed as "oh, I own X, you have to do what I say if you want to
touch X."

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]pointman 1 point 11 hours ago

This is a good addition to my comment. Thanks.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]NotRickDeckard 1 point 9 hours ago

Yo, I'm reading The Dispossessed right now.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Sr_Carlos_Danger 4 points 15 hours ago

Don't be naive. Libertarians want maximum government, they just want
minimum accountability for their bad governance. It is anti-politics
in the worst and most barbarous way. Anarchists are silly utopians but
have a legitimately varied and fully thought out political tradition,
to say they all don't want any kind of police is just incorrect

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]pointman -2 points 14 hours ago

Putting all libertarians in 1 single group is fair, but putting all
anarchists in 1 single group isn't? In your head that argument sounded
solid enough to give you the confidence to insult me? Let's not turn
buttcoin into another cult of lazy arguments, please.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Sr_Carlos_Danger 0 points 12 hours ago

I mean, those groups are defined by the the criterion we're using to
group them in the first place, so yeah. They're both movements that
identify themselves relative to concepts of leadership and government,
it wouldn't make sense to ignore how their relationship to actual
existing government and leaders is fundamentally different.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]WillistheWillow -2 points 14 hours ago

I think what you say was true at one time, but not any more. It seems
libertarians these days are anti-government as a concept. I refer you
to the image in the OP.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]pointman 0 points 14 hours ago

The question was about the philosophy, not about the hypocrisy of one
random teenager on twitter.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]WillistheWillow 0 points 14 hours ago

Not sure what you're on about there fella.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[+]incubus4282 comment score below threshold  (3 children)

[+]xToniGrssx comment score below threshold  (4 children)

[–]bigtitsfanclub 17 points 18 hours ago

I don’t think this guy is an environmentalist because
environmentalists protest and raise awareness for environmental
regulation from a federal level. Between his support for
cryptocurrency and anarchy, he’s calling himself an environmentalist
that wants to see the planet burn. This guy is the walking definition
of oxymoron with great emphasis on the moron part.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Agreeable-Pea-2220 -1 points 14 hours ago

Environmentalists can aim for federal regulations, but that is just
one goal. I don’t know where you got the idea that that’s the
definition of environmentalism.

This person is not an anarchist, they’re a libertarian. Both oppose
state power but are extremely different politically. Kind of
embarrassing to equate them, honestly.

You’re correct that this person is a liar and an idiot, but you might
want to exercise more critical thinking about why they’re an idiot
instead of basing it off of incorrect definitions of words you don’t
know.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]bigtitsfanclub 2 points 13 hours ago

I didn’t say it was the definition of environmentalism I said advocacy
for federal government action is fundamental. Nothing about the
rhetoric of his post suggests he’s a libertarian other than
identifying as one. This post is up for interpretation and you can
view it from any lense really because he doesn’t say much beyond a
critique of America’s fiscal agenda during the pandemic. I would be
more inclined to have a discussion with you but you saw this as an
opportunity to say ‘gotcha’ and I recommend you exercise more critical
thinking in your judgement.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Agreeable-Pea-2220 1 point 13 hours ago

What about their post makes them sound like an anarchist? Anarchism
and environmentalism aren’t incompatible things. Neither is being an
anarchist while also protesting for federal regulation. It’s absurd
for you to call them an anarchist based on nothing and then say that
their own self-identification isn’t enough evidence of libertarianism.
Also you say nothing suggests libertarianism, except for this person
has a hard on for decentralized deregulated crypto.

I’m not trying for a “gotcha”, I just don’t think that you understand
anarchist or libertarian ideology and equating the two of them is
offensive (to anarchists, I couldn’t give a fuck about libertarian
tears). It’s about as misguided as comparing socialism and fascism.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]snek_charm 7 points 17 hours ago

I don't want the gov to control my finances, I want a small cabal of
anon grifters to. Liberty!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]titangord 4 points 17 hours ago

Libertarians have to be some of the dumbest people alive.. even the
cultist conservative republican christians have more cohesion in their
positions

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]cherrypieandcoffee 2 points 20 hours ago

What a totally reasonable gentleman. Gotta stick to those principles,
even if it means global heat death!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Latino_sniper 3 points 18 hours ago

Becoming homeless to own the libs:

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]blackmobius 4 points 17 hours ago

When it comes to positive self labeling, a lot of people put
themselves in groups bases on the slightest whim. Someone put a
quarter in a salvation army bucket when they were a kid but they
loathe beggars and homeless people; they say “Im so generous and
giving”. You see people that have major anger issues say the stupidest
shit like “I consider myself a kind and forgiving person” eight before
making some wild ass violent threat. Its like if they self identify
with some cause that its just uncontested and true. And dont get me
started how literally every single major marketing propaganda piece
from one party features someone that used to “identify as an avid and
involved voter for X party” but “this action is a step too far” and
“im never going back”.

Anyways a person that sees how power intensive a mining rig is, and
turn around and call themselves an “environmentalist” is absolutely
lying to everyone including themselves. Environmentalism is a lot more
than just liking a tree in the park that one time

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Praximus_Prime_ARGOne True Libertarian 4 points 16 hours ago

As a Libertarian I consider biodiversity to just be another way the
state enforces diversity

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Old-and-grumpy 3 points 22 hours ago

Unfortunately you'll get both.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]longstreakof 3 points 18 hours ago

There are some fucked up people around and this is one prime example.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Ok-Row-6131 3 points 18 hours ago

That was a real quick jump from "I am an environmentalist" to "I don't
care about the environment".

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sv_ds 3 points 18 hours ago

An environmentalist libertarian omfg, my brain melts.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ItsJoeMomma 3 points 16 hours ago

So, in other words, you're just giving in to the greed.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]astrange 3 points 16 hours ago

The weird part is they think governments don't already see/control all
money transmissions.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Severe_Echo5413 3 points 15 hours ago

Got to love a libertarian who tells a group “I am one of yours now”

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DrMonkeyLove 3 points 13 hours ago

Like, I really don't want to generalize or anything, but every
libertarian I've ever met has been kinda dumb.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dyrnwyn580 2 points 13 hours ago

I’ve never met a poor libertarian. It’s a philosophy born out of luxury.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]iStayedAtaHolidayInn 3 points 13 hours ago

r/asablackman

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]your_mind_aches 3 points 12 hours ago

The whole thing is stupid and infuriating but what makes me the most
mad is him saying "this whole Covid19 thing".

I thought we were past downplaying the seriousness of this virus. But
nah people are still out here denying in such a blasé way.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]__SpeedRacer__ 4 points 20 hours ago

True environmentalists don't call themselves that.

In this case, it shows.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]loveandcs 2 points 19 hours ago

Imagine being this confused

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]little_jade_dragon 2 points 17 hours ago

I'm sure he'd have the same response if he lived in a desert wasteland
with no clean water, food, fresh air and in burning heat. Totally
worth it for line go up.

I mean, we might have trashed our future but hey, at least the stock
exchange had a good decade!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]GunterWatanabeThe bitcoin knows where it is at all times. 2 points
17 hours ago

If this guy ever tries to take a dump in a mall, he’ll find the
government already controls our freedom, while simultaneously
contributing much more to public discourse than his post.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]hackinistrator 2 points 16 hours ago

that''s just 'the daily buttcoin motivational post.... pump , pump
.only this kind of posts are allowed on that subreddit anyways .

he's too dumb to be an environmentalist .

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jaxdaniel86 2 points 16 hours ago

So they are under 25 or more likely a teenager.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]crowbayashi 2 points 15 hours ago

These people need serious help.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]user24781482 2 points 15 hours ago

another lunatic next in line to join this cult

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]amprok 2 points 14 hours ago

tHe FrEe MaRkEt WiLl SaVe ThE eRff. Ron Paul 24!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]LordPubes 2 points 14 hours ago

Greed before life. It’s the libertarian way

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]XPaarthurnaxX 2 points 14 hours ago

Lmao what a donkey

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]zenithfury 2 points 14 hours ago

lol if you were any kind of environmentalist, then you would rather
see humanity go extinct if it means that Earth can continue to sustain
the rest of the lifeforms. But anyway, environmentalism is about
humanity sharing the planet with everything else. Not only does
bitcoin use up way too much energy, it doesn't even help mankind at
all.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Inevitable-Writer817 2 points 14 hours ago

goofy ass crypto dork aint foolin anyone

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Busy-Ad6502 2 points 13 hours ago

Honestly, I'm against government regulation for cryptocurrency as
well. When it is unregulated, it is a magnet for scammers and so
vacuums up scammers that would otherwise be gumming up productive
parts of the market. And, the crypto-crowd needs to learn firsthand
what no regulation looks like.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dawgz525 2 points 12 hours ago

Every single, "I'm a ___, but I support __ now, because ____ just went too far!"

Is A. a lie or B. the dumbest and most idiotic cry for attention I can imagine.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BadPure8272 2 points 9 hours ago

He realized that he couldn't marry children yet and his libertarian
core just exploded with rage.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Shiriru00 2 points 8 hours ago

Wow, what would it be if he wasn’t an environmentalist!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jimmyr2021 2 points 17 hours ago

Lol how does a libertarian expect someone to enforce environmental
regulations if they hate the government? I'll throw this on the pile
of middle school logic or someone who is doing a good job trolling.

Also, have the butters chearing the collapse of these centralized
exchanges now turned that into a bad thing and part of a deep
government conspiracy? A few weeks ago it was a good thing because it
would usher in their defi utopia that would be even less useful (hard
to believe I know).

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]LogicIsTheSecret 4 points 21 hours ago

Mental illness is a sad thing.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]74hct595 19 points 20 hours ago

That's not mental illness. Just an awful person lacking empathy.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Nipae -3 points 17 hours ago

Xrp

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[+]birdman332 comment score below threshold  (5 children)

[+]xToniGrssx comment score below threshold  (8 children)

[–][deleted] 21 hours ago

[removed]

[–]AutoModerator[M] 1 point 21 hours ago

Sorry /u/buibvhikn, your comment has been automatically removed. To
avoid spam/bots, posts are not allowed from extremely new accounts.
Wait/lurk a bit before contributing.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please
contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or
concerns.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]back_fire 1 point 19 hours ago

Ahh you see I am an environmentalist all along! You wouldn’t believe
though, I’m a libertarian all along though!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[+]Present_Ad_1576 1 point 19 hours ago (0 children)

[–]3meow_ 1 point 18 hours ago

Well with the fusion breakthrough, maybe the two aren't mutually
exclusive any more.

Ofc that last line is dumb af

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]CasualBrit5 1 point 18 hours ago

How much do they think the government is going to respect their
individual liberty in the post-apocalypse, pray tell?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]FuguSandwich 1 point 17 hours ago

CDBC? Central Dank Bitching Currency?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]skycake10 1 point 16 hours ago

CDBC is not even close to a real thing yet! To the extent that it will
be real (it won't) it'll almost certainly be at an inter-bank level
and not anything an average person uses.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DuncanSoriano 1 point 16 hours ago

In theory, a suitable tax by the government would be appropriate if
you could accurately assess the harm that economic actors do to the
environment. I went through a libertarian phase.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]astrange 0 points 16 hours ago

Carbon taxes are a bad approach to climate change because carbon is
mostly emitted by other countries (true no matter which country you
are), which means if you want to reduce it, you're better off
inventing new green technologies and selling it to every other
country.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]madmac086 1 point 16 hours ago

For at least 9000 years, humans in every society have been told acting
according to their nature angers the weather gods. As a collectivist
control mechanism.

Using that to oppose individual freedom is an ancient tactic, and
seeing right through it has always been called 'stupid' by those who
can't.

"I'd rather burn in Hell than let the Church-State control me" is a
'stupid' statement, but only to a true believer.

Oh, and fuck Bitcoin for wasting electricity.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Singmetosleep123 1 point 15 hours ago

Until proven otherwise I refuse to believe this is not some form of satire.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]I_Hate_Leddit 1 point 15 hours ago

Crypto isn't going to save your ass from being busted for weed if big
gubmint really wants to come down on you, my guy.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ii-___-ii 1 point 14 hours ago

r/EnoughLibertarianSpam

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]FlightOfThePigs 1 point 14 hours ago

Life is really really good living in America (assume that's where they
are from). You have plenty of freedom here to do nearly anything you
want within reason obviously. Like all cryptobros he wants to burn
down the planet so he has a chance at making a few bucks. This is what
it boils down to.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]thephotoman 1 point 14 hours ago

Ah, yes. We've gotten to the point where they larp as converts because
nobody's buying their shit anymore.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[+]Animpro 1 point 14 hours ago (0 children)

[–]powercow 1 point 14 hours ago

This sounds earily like, Im totally a progressive liberal dem, but the
left has gotten so incredibly radical and run by the far left, im
voting republican.

meanwhile AOC which we call "far left" has no real power in the party,
while MTG has macarthy's balls in her hand.

Id have to see his post history to believe he has said a damn thing
environmental

I do find it humorous he thinks we could have gotten through covid
without increases in spending, in a nation that really never took
seriously the idea of a world pandemic despite people like fausi have
been warning about this for years..I guess we could have raised his
taxes rather than print so much. But either way the money would have
been spent. You can argue the size of it all.. but zero nations tried
to get through this with no funding.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Bigfornoreas0n 1 point 14 hours ago

And?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]b1daly 0 points 14 hours ago

It’s of a piece with this demented, conspiratorialist mindset, where
various right wingers and lolbertarians are convinced that ‘things
have never been so bad’ (in countries of the West)

apparently such individuals have no ability to comprehend just how bad
things are for billions living now, and the billions living before.
The last 40 years have been exceptional for those lucky to live in the
West

The ‘wokies’ have their own version of impeding apocalyptic doom,
literally believing mass calamity is here with climate change (this
individual makes a glancing reference to this hysterical mental state
in his OP)

It’s a complete lack of awareness—self and the world

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]fm22fnam 1 point 14 hours ago

Bitcoin is not libertarian. I don't get why these people think it is.
It's based on nothing, like the dollar, which libertarians hate.

Invest in precious metals instead.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]KVRLMVRX 1 point 14 hours ago

Lmaoo what are these priorities

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DocSanchezAOE2 1 point 13 hours ago

I must be free! To have payments slowly processed and be able to lose
all my money after forgetting a seed phrase...

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]bdora48445 1 point 13 hours ago

Damn another buttcoiner gone to the dark side 🫡

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jdmgto 1 point 12 hours ago

The absolutely cultists language is not indicative of a problem.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]NumberOneJewBoi 1 point 10 hours ago

I want to hear what the Buttcoin community has to say about this
response that I wrote to the original post:

Bitcoin is only bad for the environment in so far as we have been
failing to switch to effective and clean energy sources. If you
compare the Co2 to emissions of the banking industry to the Bitcoin
industry, the reality sets in that commerce simply requires energy,
and has always required energy. In the past it had costed literal
horsepower to move money across the country, then coal to power the
shipping vessels. In modern times the revolution of the internet has
allowed us to easily transact online, but we forget how much energy it
requires simply to run the internet.

Commerce requires energy, and bitcoin could be the path to push for
greener energy sources because of the implications for energy waste.
For example, solar panels on a sunny day can only store so much energy
with their batteries, but by using that energy to mine bitcoin, we
preserve the energy that would be otherwise lost, and would then allow
entities to purchase the energy back with the bitcoin made from
mining.

The bitcoin mining industry will continue regardless of whether the
general public buys bitcoin or not because of the institutional money
flow which has increased so dramatically and is likely only to
increase over the next few years. In my opinion, the small purchases
of the retail market don’t effect price action much (and thus bitcoin
mining), except for whale movements - therefore the average retail
purchaser isnt having much of an effect on the environment. Mining
will continue and the only money the exchange is making from retail to
invest in mining is fees (assuming self custody). Therefore go
purchase some bitcoin and don’t feel bad about the environmental
impact.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Low_Progress9787 2 points 5 hours ago

Dude, pretty much every one of your arguments we get pretty much
weekly. You can do about 500,000 visa transactions with the amount of
energy for one BTC transaction. Some sites have claimed up to 1
million to 1.5 million transactions for 1 BTC transaction. The amount
consumed is about 40 days power usage for a single household. This
isn't even factoring in the e-waste.

The worst part is that this isn't even really being used for buying
stuff. It's just used for a giant decentralized pyramid scheme. So,
it's burning the earth so people can scam eachother. Hooray!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]NumberOneJewBoi 1 point 3 hours ago

I appreciate the reply, it good to hear from those outside the echo
chamber 😂. I’m sure there are only so many arguments for bitcoin, I’m
not surprised youve heard em, I’m no genius on the topic.

Theoretically, if energy production was efficient and clean enough
that we no longer lose 1/2 of our energy generation due to heat waste
and transmission, the energy efficiency of visa would be unimportant.
I have no notions that Bitcoin can replace fiat as there isnt enough
supply, but future inventions could simulate the working aspects while
addressing any core issues. Crypto may not be the panacea its touted
to be, but clearly many governments recognize that it is a necessary
development, with the US, china, and India interested in CBDC (a
dystopian nightmare). Idk what the future holds but i really hope our
fate isnt in the fiat system, cuz if so we r screwed

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Transhumanistgamer 1 point 9 hours ago

I'd ask if this guy is too stupid to understand that if the planet
burns, he's not going to have any freedoms as any remaining
civilization will be super authoritarian by necessity but then I
remember that he's a libertarian so the answer is obviously yes.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]montjoye 1 point 8 hours ago

with a burned planet you won't have a government.. nor any freedom!
because you'll be dead!! win-win

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Tenter5 1 point 8 hours ago

If this person is libertarian then they are no way an environmentalist too…

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ZoidsFanatic 1 point 6 hours ago

You know, I remember a time when the insane conspiracist theories were
actually interesting. Remember the Black Helicopters of the New World
Order, or the FEMA death camps, or whatever the fuck all those militia
movements were going on about? I do. But now it’s just a bunch of
circle jerking internet twits trying to defend magic internet money
while also being a racist and sexist.

Well, least we get to enjoy them losing their money.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Funny-Following1729 1 point 5 hours ago

There are a few paths to freedom. One way is to have the skills and
experience to live off the land. Another way is to save every penny,
enough to buy bonds and live off the interest, most won't make enough
or be disciplined enough to reach this state. Buying cryptocurrency is
the most foolish thing one can do with their money.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[+]LostSkullofThe78 1 point 5 hours ago (0 children)

[–]Evenfisher01 1 point an hour ago

I font know what this person was trying to say

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Altruistic_Split9447 1 point an hour ago

Btc uses electricity. I mean electric is green right

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ApprehensiveSorbet76 1 point 48 minutes ago

He’s going to love his “unstoppable” freedom once miners are
classified as money transmitters. He will be free to transact after
passing the unavoidable KYC check and obtaining authorization to
submit requests to the mempool.

    embed
    save
    report