USA 2024 Elections Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 18:27:41 PST 2022

Reporter Behind '50 Former Intel Officials' Hunter Biden Propaganda
Ignored DNI Denial

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1544454754457337859

Former Trump administration intelligence official and best-selling
author, Cliff Sims, has offered a rare glimpse into the 5th column's
propaganda machine - namely, how former Politico reporter Natasha
Bertrand concocted the report that '50 former intelligence officials'
said the Hunter Biden laptop story was Russian disinformation.

"Want to know what it's like to deal with some journalists who "cover"
the Intel and NatSec communities at the highest level, but actually
serve more like mouthpieces of the permanent security state?" Sims
asked, kicking off a Wednesday Twitter thread.

    I was serving as Deputy DNI for Strategy & Communications in 2020,
so during the height of election season. I was part of then-DNI
@JohnRatcliffe's small circle of advisors and part of my job was
handling reporter inquiries, particularly if they dealt directly with
the DNI.
    — Cliff Sims (@Cliff_Sims) December 15, 2022

Continued (emphasis ours):

    Oct. 16: @RepAdamSchiff suggest the laptop might be a part of a
Russian effort to "smear" Biden.

    Oct. 19: @JohnRatcliffe says there's NO intel to support Schiff's lie.

    The press played it like it was a "battle." History has proven who
was a liar & "politicized" their position.

    Oct. 19, then- at politico reporter @NatashBertrand preps a story
about 50 former Intel officials claiming the Biden laptop story is
Russian disinfo.

    I warn her that it is NOT and point her to Ratcliffe's statements.

    She writes it anyway and gives Democrats the headline they want.

[ZH: for more on Bertrand, (actual) journalist Glenn Greenwald has
pulled back the curtain on this particular operative on many
occasions...]

    There is no US reporter who has spread more disinformation, more
casually and recklessly, over the last 6 years than @NatashaBertrand,
most of it directly from CIA. As she's done it, she was promoted with
dizzying speed.

    Why does nobody trust media?https://t.co/9ZbKlTRKsm
    — Glenn Greenwald (@ggreenwald) July 5, 2022

Back to Cliff Sims:

    Oct. 27: @JohnRatcliffe warns the country in a primetime press
conference that several foreign countries were seeking to influence
the 2020 election.

    Among those countries was Iran, whom Ratcliffe accurately noted
was seeking to “damage President Trump."
    — Cliff Sims (@Cliff_Sims) December 15, 2022

    Oct. 28: @NatashBertrand calls claiming @JohnRatcliffe "went off
script" with his comments about Iran, the implication being that they
actually weren't trying to hurt Trump.

    She had two anonymous "senior officials" as sources.

    I push back hard with two main points...

    1. The intelligence was clear about Iran's intention to hurt
Trump. The country's top counter-intel official had even called them
out publicly months before. Here's his statement from Aug. 7, 2020,
relaying the Intelligence Community's assessment of what Iran was up
to.

    2. How could Ratcliffe go "off script" when it's his script? We
were still writing his remarks in the motorcade on the way to the
press conference, right up until moments before he went on stage. The
whole angle of the story made no sense. @NatashaBertrand said didn't
care.

    At this point I took the rare step of asking to speak to her
editor, who was @blakehounshell, before the story published.

    I explained to Blake what I outlined above, and reminded him that
@NatashaBertrand had also been wrong about the Biden laptop.

    It got a little heated...

    At some point, exasperated that the truth didn't seem to matter
when @NatashaBertrand was fixated on building a narrative, I snapped
and said it was "garbage reporting."

    @blakehounshell replied that I was a "garbage person."

    And @politico published another misleading story.

    March 2021, Biden's own Office of the DNI released the
Intelligence Community's Assessment of foreign threats to the 2020
election.

    As I'd told @NatashaBertrand and @blakehounshell back in 2020,
they assessed that Iran sought to hurt Trump.

    Proven right, again.

    But @CNN hired @NatashaBertrand and the @nytimes hired @blakehounshell.

    None of them -- Schiff, the former Intel officials who lied about
the laptop...the journalists involved -- have ever admitted they were
wrong.

    And these headlines remains on @politico to this day.

    /end