[ot][spam][crazy] middle smart adventure game

Wed Dec 14 16:31:48 PST 2022

1. for some time people wanted to make text adventure games that were
open-domain, where the player could do anything. some people actually
did this, although i don't know where to find their work. such a game
featured in the book "ender's game".
2. when transformer language models got big, AI dungeon happened.
basically they just told a language model it was an adventure game,
and gave the user its output, the same way chatgpt works. the
adventures had absolutely no logical continuity, but the user could do
anything they wanted to. aidungeon has since worked more on their
product.

a day or two ago, as part of a trick around my behavior, to try to be
productive during a difficult time, i started work on a
middle-of-the-road approach, that uses a small language model to
generate content and interpret user actions, but can do it more
intelligently. i'm aware that others have done this, although again I
don't know where to find their work.

it's very hard for me, and it was interesting to have a region of it
become more easy.

NOTE: people call these "text adventures" but nowadays building such a
"text" adventure game is _very roughly_ equivalent to building a fully
interactive virtual world, because of how AI is being developed.
Personally, I'm still just interested in text!