Cobra meeting to discuss plans for military staff to cover striking workers | Military | The Guardian

Gunnar Larson g at xny.io
Mon Dec 12 15:35:51 PST 2022

Podcasts
Pictures
Inside the Guardian
Guardian Weekly
Crosswords
Corrections
Facebook
Twitter
UKUK politicsEducationMediaSocietyLawScotlandWalesNorthern Ireland
Military
Cobra meeting to discuss plans for military staff to cover striking workers
Labour and former army head warn repeated use of armed forces may lead to
burnout and soldiers quitting

Members of the British Army and a Border Force Official
Peter Walker and Dan Sabbagh
Sun 11 Dec 2022 17.30 EST
Plans for military staff to cover for striking workers are to be discussed
at a Cobra meeting, amid warnings that over-stretched troops are being used
repeatedly to bail out ministers unable to solve disputes.

With about 1,000 personnel due to miss Christmas breaks as they fill in for
ambulance crews and border staff, military sources and retired senior
officers warned about the potential impact on morale for troops whose
real-terms pay has also declined.

Ministers from the Ministry of Defence (MoD) will take part in a pair of
scheduled meetings of the government’s Cobra emergencies planning
committee, billed as a chance to finalise contingencies to cope with an
upcoming wave of public sector strikes.

Nurses are set to become the latest to stage a walkout on Thursday, after
the government refused an offer by unions to pause the action if ministers
agreed to talks over a possible pay deal.

James Cleverly, the foreign secretary, said on Sunday that while the health
secretary, Steve Barclay, would talk to the Royal College of Nursing (RCN)
and the Unison union, he would not discuss any deviation from a pay award
decided over the summer by the official NHS pay review body.

Thousands of ambulance workers and other NHS staff across England and Wales
are also due to strike on 21 December over pay, while Border Force staff at
airports and ports will strike from 23 December to Boxing Day, and from 28
December to New Year’s Eve. Rail workers are also scheduled to hold more
strikes over Christmas, as are Royal Mail staff.

The first Cobra meeting, on Monday, will be headed by Oliver Dowden, who as
chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster is the most senior minister in the
Cabinet Office, which is in charge of planning for the strikes.

As well as the MoD, ministers from the Department for Transport, Department
of Health and Social Care and the Home Office will take part, with a second
meeting planned for Wednesday.

The 1,000 military personnel will be joined by the same number of civil
servants and volunteers in being trained to carry out duties such as
checking people at borders and staffing ambulances, with 600 of the troops
filling in for Border Force workers.

While one government source argued that such numbers were standard for
“military aid to civilian authorities” (Maca) arrangements, some in the
military have started to question the amount of assistance being sought,
with soldiers missing what could be their third Christmas in a row, after
the military were called into help with the Covid crisis and other
deployments.

“Maca used to be last resort. Now it’s the go-to. Bad government planning
equals soldiers missing Xmas,” said one military source, reflecting what
they said were repeated grumblings they had heard from junior ranks.

Lord Richard Dannatt, the former head of the army, warned over the weekend
that soldiers being forced to miss Christmas with families could damage
morale and see some quit.

“Soldiers might decide they’ve had enough of bailing the government out of
the muddles it gets itself into,” he told the Mail on Sunday. “They might
think: ‘I joined to be a soldier, not a strike-breaker.’”

Labour has reiterated its request to the MoD to spell out how many
personnel in total are being used for Maca duties, and warned that the
extent of such duties could affect national security.

“Our armed forces are there to defend our nation, but are having to bail
out Conservative ministers who are grinding our country to a halt,” said
John Healey, the shadow defence secretary.

“Troops will perform these tasks with total professionalism, but extra
domestic demands raise real concerns while ministers continue to cut the
size of the British army and the UK faces growing threats.”

Sign up to First Edition

Free daily newsletter
Archie Bland and Nimo Omer take you through the top stories and what they
mean, free every weekday morning

Privacy Notice: Newsletters may contain info about charities, online ads,
and content funded by outside parties. For more information see our Privacy
Policy. We use Google reCaptcha to protect our website and the Google
Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
In quotes released to announce the Cobra meetings, Dowden stressed the
government’s line that the public should blame unions for any problems.

“The government will do all it can to mitigate the impact of this action,
but the only way to stop the disruption completely is for union bosses to
get back round the table and call off these damaging strikes,” he said.

But in response to the offer from the RCN and Unison, Cleverly said it was
impossible for ministers to amend awards decided by the independent pay
body, even though these are only advisory, are based on parameters set by
ministers, and have been ignored in the past.

“The point is, meetings are different from pay negotiations,” Cleverly told
Sky’s Sophy Ridge on Sunday show. “Ultimately, independent bodies are there
for a reason, to take the politics out of this kind of stuff. And we
respect the judgment they have made, and we’re implementing it.”

Labour’s Wes Streeting, the shadow health secretary, said ministers were
seeking to blame a crisis in the NHS this winter on striking staff, rather
than seeking a solution.

“They’re quite happy to see paramedics and nurses go on strike because when
the proverbial hits the fan this winter, they are going to blame nurses and
paramedics for an NHS crisis which is squarely the fault of a Conservative
government,” Streeting said.

“I think that’s dangerous. I think it’s reprehensible. I think it’s
irresponsible.”

Sir Stephen Powis, medical director of NHS England, also said the service
was working with unions to ensure patients remain safe on strike days.

“We are working hard to make sure patients are safe. Emergency services
will be maintained, so if you have a life-threatening condition then please
continue to call 999, and if [you have a] non life-threatening condition
then 111 should be your dockyard of call,” he said.

$608,463
contributions
$1,000,000
our goal
Lend us a hand in 2023
We have a small favour to ask. Tens of millions have placed their trust in
the Guardian’s fearless journalism since we started publishing 200 years
ago, turning to us in moments of crisis, uncertainty, solidarity and hope.
More than 1.5 million supporters, from 180 countries, now power us
financially – keeping us open to all, and fiercely independent. We’re
raising $1m to support our reporting in 2023. We hope you’ll consider a
year-end gift.

Unlike many others, the Guardian has no shareholders and no billionaire
owner. Just the determination and passion to deliver high-impact global
reporting, always free from commercial or political influence. Reporting
like this is vital for democracy, for fairness and to demand better from
the powerful.

And we provide all this for free, for everyone to read. We do this because
we believe in information equality. Greater numbers of people can keep
track of the events shaping our world, understand their impact on people
and communities, and become inspired to take meaningful action. Millions
can benefit from open access to quality, truthful news, regardless of their
ability to pay for it.

Help us reach our $1m goal for 2023. Make a year-end gift to the Guardian
from as little as $1 – it only takes a minute. If you can, please consider
supporting us with a regular amount each month. Thank you.

Contribution frequency

Single

Monthly

Annual

Contribution amount

$7 per month

$13 per month

Other
Continue
Remind me in January
Accepted payment methods: Visa, Mastercard, American Express and PayPal
Topics
Military
Industrial action
British army
Ministry of Defence
James Cleverly
Oliver Dowden
Wes Streeting
news
Reuse this content
More on this story

Rail strikes to go ahead as RMT votes to reject latest offer
6h ago

Whitehall graduate scheme members to vote on strike action
11h ago

Nurses will strike this week in UK after talks with health secretary stall
28m ago

Factcheck: are UK strikers greedy, unrealistic and putting others in danger?
15h ago

Military in thankless task as soldiers drafted in to replace striking
workers
1d ago

Ministers refuse to negotiate with nurses on pay to prevent NHS strikes
2d ago

Officers unlikely to stand in for striking ambulance drivers, police chiefs
say
3d ago

Nurses’ union leader accuses Steve Barclay of ‘bullyboy’ tactics
3d ago
Most viewed
UKUK politicsEducationMediaSocietyLawScotlandWalesNorthern Ireland
News
Opinion
Sport
Culture
Lifestyle
Original reporting and incisive analysis, direct from the Guardian every
morning
Sign up for our email
About us
Help
Complaints & corrections
SecureDrop
Work for us
California resident – Do Not Sell
Privacy policy
Cookie policy
Terms & conditions
Contact us
All topics
All writers
Digital newspaper archive
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram
LinkedIn
Twitter
Newsletters
Advertise with us
Guardian Labs
Search jobs
Back to top
© 2022 Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All
rights reserved. (modern)