[ot][spam] ranting re doctorow’s new book

Mon Dec 12 15:12:20 PST 2022

i mentioned the newer “attack surface” book to somebody recently, and
i think i erred when i said it looked to me like it complied with the
state more than the previous,

i developed this opinion from the medium.com link advertising it. it
described the new book as “redeeming” readers, and it described it as
“adult”-like and the older as “child”-like.

in my experiences of intense authoritarian influence in the usa
mid-2010s, grassroots views were considered “child”-like, while
accepting authority was described as “growing up” to be an “adult”,
similarly grassroots hacking was considered criminal and evil. it was
distressing to me to see this messaging in the doctorow article, and i
figured doctorow had sold out.

since, i have learned that doctorow is strongly associated with
medium.com, blogging there with high frequency (recent article on
neuroimplants), and i found a different website that lists terms in
the new masha attack surface book. i recognized every term i skimmed
as something important for people to learn about. so, i am thinking i
should judge it less quickly, but it still looks weird, i wonder who
picked the phrasing i responded to.