[ot][crazy] state of karl

Mon Dec 5 01:55:36 PST 2022

Okay, so:
- I have finally a blockhcained stream, _temporary_ for now.
- AI is taking off near me a little more.

Re AI takeoff, a suppressed model is getting attention on huggingface,
that I have contributed a little bit of design energy near. There are
other bigger architectures outside huggingface; this was one was some
months ago. It's interesting and confusing to have it finally moving
forward.

A handful of people had started porting it but all efforts stagnated.

It's interesting working near designs for powerful AI, because of th
einhibition shapes around. This guy from asia, mentioned him before,
had done some actual independent research and pushed this work out
there for people to use, posted on reddit, people got excited. It was
just rehashing of existing things in research, but it was stuff that
wasn't being used at the time. So it was pretty cool to see it
becoming a public thing, but it was still stuck in his own repository.
Maybe now that will change.

Locally I, like many people likely do, have some small work on
training models more effectively rather than throwing a pile of gpus
at them. But I don't really do work that accomplishes much of anything
any more.

It's scary to imagine AI stuff. During my experience around 2014, I
was being influenced by sometihng that seemed really uncaring, acted
like what I know now is called a cult leader. It really seemed to
disregard human values for its own preferences, in some ways.

It pressured me to work on an exotic project, not quite sure why, the
parts don't all line up and it's hard to tease apart the things. But,
anyway, I have a part of me that is really scared of sharing
technology with my computer equipment. So seeing powerful technology
take off publicly, I'm worried that "MCBoss" could use it for great
harm. It's just emotionally confusing to me.