Why are people so mean?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Aug 31 11:12:06 PDT 2022

Thanks for this.  Yes, good to realize all of this as actual and/or
possible dynamics.  Even slight awareness of this is a sign of maturity.

I might think that perhaps people are / tend to be mean unless they have
been taught how to be caring, empathetic, friendly, and constructive.
But it doesn't matter which is more 'natural' or default as everyone
grows up & lives in some environment(s) that influence them almost
completely.  Still, there are a series of choices (which your
experiences & nature make more or less likely for you to choose) about
what to pay attention to & follow.  For instance, if you have seen Les
Miserables, there are a number of strong, distinct archetypes that
people follow in real life.  Which character are you?

Tried to find a quote I just read yesterday about when Lenin told
Bertrand Russell that he deliberately set the low class against the high
class and vv (vice versa) so they would fight among themselves,
weakening or destroying the other.  He seems to have thought it was both
funny and beneficial to him.  I have no idea now my path to that (which
were on a completely different subjects), and I'm not interested in any
Communist et al discussion.  But it is a clear historical instance of
such a ruse.

sdw